Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nazis family values

I honestly don't think her comments were that bad when you consider most pre/post depression era societies were like that....family first etc. Had she not mentioned Hitler, she'd probably still have a job.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...N-NAZI-ODD.xml

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German public television network Sunday sacked a popular talk show host and former news presenter after she had praised the Nazi's family policies at a news conference for her new book on child-rearing.

NDR television program director Volker Herres said on the NDR website the network had fired Eva Herman, 48, with immediate effect for her comments "that we deemed to be incompatible to her role as a television presenter and talk show host."

Herman, who was a news presenter for the network's flagship "Tagesschau" news program for 18 years to 2006, has also hosted several other talk shows on NDR.

While presenting her book "Das Prinzip Arche Noah - warum wir die Familie retten muessen" (Arche Noah principle - why we must save the family), she said family values that were nurtured in the Nazi era were cast away by the turmoil of the late 1960s.

"It was a horrible time with a manic and dangerous leader who led the Germans into ruin as we all know. But there was at the time also something good, and that is the values, that is the children, that is the families, that is a togetherness -- it was all abolished, there was nothing left," Herman said.

Herman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The Germans are so nervous about being alligned with their past that they refuse to acknowledge the few good policies that Hitler had. I do notice they keep making Volkswagons and driving on the Autobahn though. I guess its easier to throw a talk show host under the bus than to do away with convenient transportaion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed---the Germans are lucky Hitler didn't continually proclaim the benefits of breathing. I wonder if they are pissed that Nazis helped us get to the moon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should Germans be fired if they praise Volkswagon too? I mean that is a Nazi product.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well she did conjure up the image of Hitlers breeding programs. He encouraged families to have lots of kids so he could fill the world with the superior race...thats not exactly a family value.

Lets not forget that he MURDERED entire families. His family values consisted of RACISM/Anti-semitism and targeting some families for death.

He even encouraged kids to TURN in parents who were disloyal to the state.

He also ran a youth program that interjected state ideology over parental teachings of ideology. I think we all still believe it is our right to raise our children with our values and not the values of others.

Hitlers family values arent anything we want to emmulate now.

If she wanted to talk about a past era and the culture of then vs now....she certainly didnt need to add Hitler to that. She could have just as easily talked about the decades and given examples. She could have explained why the 40's were better than now and how the 60's were a factor in the destruction of values she felt were alive and well in the 40's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    The Germans are so nervous about being alligned with their past that they refuse to acknowledge the few good policies that Hitler had. I do notice they keep making Volkswagons and driving on the Autobahn though. I guess its easier to throw a talk show host under the bus than to do away with convenient transportaion.
    Well he got the trains running on time but I dont think he did ANYTHING good to boost family values!

Edit to add this.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C1A9609C8B63

To be accepted into the Lebensborn, pregnant women had to have the right racial characteristics -- blonde hair and blue eyes -- prove that they had no genetic disorders, and be able to prove the identity of the father, who had to meet similar criteria. They had to swear fealty to Nazism, and were indoctrinated with Hitler's ideology while they were in residence.

Many of the fathers were SS officers with their own families. Heinrich Himmler, the head of the SS, encouraged his men to sire children outside of marriage as a way of building a German master race.
    I cant see that its a good family value to have men making babies OUTSIDE the marriage or the babies who didnt get to grow up in a family or even have the truth about their parentage and circumstances.
    Last edited by Ruby; 09-11-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Well he got the trains running on time but I dont think he did ANYTHING good to boost family values!

Edit to add this.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C1A9609C8B63

I cant see that its a good family value to have men making babies OUTSIDE the marriage or the babies who didnt get to grow up in a family or even have the truth about their parentage and circumstances.
    So much for her freedom of speech ,huh ? She wasn't praising Hitlers' values anyway. Read closely.

family values that were nurtured in the Nazi era
    To insinuate that all Germans subscribed to Hitlers' family values is a mighty big leap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    So much for her freedom of speech ,huh ? She wasn't praising Hitlers' values anyway. Read closely.
    I did read it, she said the "nazi era" as if the family values she holds in high esteem came from NAZIS. The nazi family values were pretty horrendous. She could have said the 40's era, but she claimed it was the NAZI era and gave them CREDIT for the family values she wants back.

She has her freedom of speech, no one is taking her to jail or charging her with a crime. Her employer no longer wants her to work there and represent them as a station.

If she feels that being fired violated any laws then I would guess she should take them to court and enforce whatever legal rights she feels are being violated. I dont know of any legal rights of hers that were violated, do you?

To insinuate that all Germans subscribed to Hitlers' family values is a mighty big leap.
    I didnt insinuate that. She claimed it was the family values nurtured in the NAZI era. Apparently she seems to like the family values nurtured and endorsed by the nazis...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did read it, she said the "nazi era" as if the family values she holds in high esteem came from NAZIS. The nazi family values were pretty horrendous. She could have said the 40's era, but she claimed it was the NAZI era and gave them CREDIT for the family values she wants back.

She has her freedom of speech, no one is taking her to jail or charging her with a crime. Her employer no longer wants her to work there and represent them as a station.

If she feels that being fired violated any laws then I would guess she should take them to court and enforce whatever legal rights she feels are being violated. I dont know of any legal rights of hers that were violated, do you?

I didnt insinuate that. She claimed it was the family values nurtured in the NAZI era. Apparently she seems to like the family values nurtured and endorsed by the nazis...
    Did you forget to read her comment about Hitler ?
    "It was a horrible time with a manic and dangerous leader who led the Germans into ruin as we all know. But there was at the time also something good, and that is the values, that is the children, that is the families, that is a togetherness -- it was all abolished, there was nothing left,"
    She clearly states there was ALSO something good ocurring. How would YOU respond to being fired for saying something that everyone twisted into something that was sure to inflame everyone ?

And no----she did NOT say the family values that she is espousing came from the Nazis.
    Last edited by Dilloduck; 09-11-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you forget to read her comment about Hitler ?

She clearly states there was ALSO something good ocurring. How would YOU respond to being fired for saying something that everyone twisted into something that was sure to inflame everyone ?

And no----she did NOT say the family values that she is espousing came from the Nazis.

I read her comment about hitler as well as this one...

she said family values that were nurtured in the Nazi era were cast away by the turmoil of the late 1960s.

"It was a horrible time with a manic and dangerous leader who led the Germans into ruin as we all know. But there was at the time also something good, and that is the values, that is the children, that is the families, that is a togetherness -- it was all abolished, there was nothing left," Herman said.
    Specifically she LIKED the nazis family values...and those family values included the youth program where the state indoctrinated the youth, the program that encouraged kids to turn in disloyal parents and breeding programs (many utilized men that were ALREADY MARRIED), and it encouraged racial PURITY in the family.

I bolded the parts clearly for you. She is specific, it was NAZI family values that she wants and there is no denying that nazi family values were horrible and including those things I already listed.

She was CLEAR that it was values endorsed by NAZIS she liked. Germans are very well versed in what "nazi era family values" are and they arent values that the germans want back...thank goodness for that!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read her comment about hitler as well as this one...

Specifically she LIKED the nazis family values...and those family values included the youth program where the state indoctrinated the youth, the program that encouraged kids to turn in disloyal parents and breeding programs (many utilized men that were ALREADY MARRIED), and it encouraged racial PURITY in the family.

I bolded the parts clearly for you. She is specific, it was NAZI family values that she wants and there is no denying that nazi family values were horrible and including those things I already listed.

She was CLEAR that it was values endorsed by NAZIS she liked. Germans are very well versed in what "nazi era family values" are and they arent values that the germans want back...thank goodness for that!!!
    It's facinating how people can twist and intentionally misinterpret what has been said. NOWHERE in that quote did she say she liked Nazi values nor that she wants them. She is clearly talking about another phenomenon that was occuring in Germany at the time. She PURPOSELY rejected Nazis to try to dodge misinterpretation but as usual--you managed to do it anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Last year after the soccer world cup the news agencies were talking about the Germans waving their flag. Apparently it is frowned upon to show national pride.

My point is, she shouldn't have been surprised at the backlash from mentioning the NAZI's. Germans are very sensitive to that issue.

With their birth rate the way it is though they need to do something and if a "Family First" innitiative works than good for them.

Also Ruby,

Her point about family values during that time doesn't have to include all the bad things also. Women were encouraged to stay home and raise their families, that is not a bad thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's facinating how people can twist and intentionally misinterpret what has been said. NOWHERE in that quote did she say she liked Nazi values nor that she wants them. She is clearly talking about another phenomenon that was occuring in Germany at the time. She PURPOSELY rejected Nazis to try to dodge misinterpretation but as usual--you managed to do it anyway.
    Then why did she site the NAZI era. That is quite specific and the nazis DID indeed have a "family values" program as we know. It cant be hard to site a TIME PERIOD if thats all she is talking about, instead she chose to be quite specific and site the "nazi era". Thats not twist at all, thats going with what she said and NOT reading what you WANT into it to help water it down.

She is german and dosent seem to be uneducated and she is a JOURNALIST so she is just fine at choosing her words, afterall, its her profession. She cant possibly be unaware that the "nazi era" contained very specific family values nor do I think she is unaware of what those values were. If she wanted to leave OUT the bulk of the nazi era family values, then why site them at all and why not specify that you arent meaning to include those aspects?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Last year after the soccer world cup the news agencies were talking about the Germans waving their flag. Apparently it is frowned upon to show national pride.

My point is, she shouldn't have been surprised at the backlash from mentioning the NAZI's. Germans are very sensitive to that issue.

With their birth rate the way it is though they need to do something and if a "Family First" innitiative works than good for them.

Also Ruby,

Her point about family values during that time doesn't have to include all the bad things also. Women were encouraged to stay home and raise their families, that is not a bad thing.
    But that isnt what she said. She named a very specific era and specified the Nazis. She is speaking to an audience who is WELL aware of those values and she didnt say a word about excluding those things...she only made reference to leading the country to ruin which was caused by the WARS themselves.

As a writer and career journalist *german one*, I will have to accept that her words were meant as she spoke them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only to the intentionally ignorant.