Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default I Think We All Knew This Was Coming-NYC Binding Triage

It's hard, but there really is no choice.

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...without-pulse/
    Breaking: NYC Orders EMS To Not Transport Cardiac-Arrest Patients Without A Pulse
    ED MORRISSEYPosted at 9:55 am on April 2, 2020

In any acute shortage situation, rationing becomes inevitable. In New York City, that has gone way beyond face masks and personal protective equipment. Starting immediately, emergency medical services have been ordered not to bring cardiac-arrest cases to hospitals unless the patients have a pulse, a move designed to save capacity in the coronavirus pandemic:

The memo, distributed late Wednesday to New York officials and first responders, said certain near-death patients will likely not be able to be saved while city hospitals are overrun with COVID-19 patients.

Effective immediately, patients in cardiac arrest will not be transported to a hospital if first responders cannot get a pulse on their own while administering CPR, the memo states.

“These orders are binding and the FDNY will devise a plan for implementation,” Deputy Fire Commissioner Frank Dwyer told ABC News.

In a blunt advisory on March 29, the Nassau County Regional Emergency Medical Advisory Committee on Long Island stated, “There is no medical benefit to transporting patients in cardiac arrest with CPR in progress.” The statement goes on to justify the new protocol with a statistic saying successful resuscitation rates increase when patients are not moved during CPR.

First responders aren’t even authorized to move a pulse-less patient at all, unless the location is unsafe for them to attend the patient. The new policy will remain in place until the peak of hospitalizations in the city passes, and no one’s sure when that will be.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

WTF

I know it's tough and the world can only do what it can do. But I don't want to be here in NY anymore. Hell, not like I did before. But this is some scary shit. Now I'm not in panic mode, I sleep just fine, and don't have many plans to head out and we are stocked pretty well. But it's still scary, so many damn unknowns and horror stories going around.

We take for granted our medical communities, hospitals and urgent clinics and all we have access to. At least here in NY, we are loaded with all of the above. There is one in my little town next to the Starbucks. The larger hospital is about a 4 minute ride if I haul ass. The next is like 12 miles away. Major Hospital in Greenwich Ct minutes away. A few monster sized hospitals in the Bronx. Oh, where I had my neck surgery, major Hospital about 10 minutes away in White Plains NY. Another in Scarsdale NY. One in Mt Vernon.... you get the idea. And then you have NYC of course which also has tons of hospitals. - And these towns all literally surrounding us. So a good thing taken for granted. And now those cities are hit just as hard as New Rochelle. And you read all these stories about shortages and folks that will have to make hard decisions and many will be SOL. So it's scary.

I posted my town earlier, and this is what surrounds my town: I can literally be in any of these cities within 5 minutes. Not kidding. All smaller communities and all surrounding me in this nice little circle on the map.

Mount Vernon 109
    New Rochelle 264
    Pelham Manor 17
    Port Chester 60
    Rye Brook 23
    Rye City 21
    Scarsdale 40
    White Plains 84
    Yonkers 225

Surrounded by the incoming zombie apocalypse! And not a lot of help to be found apparently? All those medical facilities and major hospitals and top doctors - and maybe no help?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    WTF

I know it's tough and the world can only do what it can do. But I don't want to be here in NY anymore. Hell, not like I did before. But this is some scary shit. Now I'm not in panic mode, I sleep just fine, and don't have many plans to head out and we are stocked pretty well. But it's still scary, so many damn unknowns and horror stories going around.

We take for granted our medical communities, hospitals and urgent clinics and all we have access to. At least here in NY, we are loaded with all of the above. There is one in my little town next to the Starbucks. The larger hospital is about a 4 minute ride if I haul ass. The next is like 12 miles away. Major Hospital in Greenwich Ct minutes away. A few monster sized hospitals in the Bronx. Oh, where I had my neck surgery, major Hospital about 10 minutes away in White Plains NY. Another in Scarsdale NY. One in Mt Vernon.... you get the idea. And then you have NYC of course which also has tons of hospitals. - And these towns all literally surrounding us. So a good thing taken for granted. And now those cities are hit just as hard as New Rochelle. And you read all these stories about shortages and folks that will have to make hard decisions and many will be SOL. So it's scary.

I posted my town earlier, and this is what surrounds my town: I can literally be in any of these cities within 5 minutes. Not kidding. All smaller communities and all surrounding me in this nice little circle on the map.

Mount Vernon 109
    New Rochelle 264
    Pelham Manor 17
    Port Chester 60
    Rye Brook 23
    Rye City 21
    Scarsdale 40
    White Plains 84
    Yonkers 225

Surrounded by the incoming zombie apocalypse! And not a lot of help to be found apparently? All those medical facilities and major hospitals and top doctors - and maybe no help?
    All those numbers reinforce why you need to stay in your own home/yard. Only go out when there's no choice. IF everyone did that, we'd be in much better shape.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    All those numbers reinforce why you need to stay in your own home/yard. Only go out when there's no choice. IF everyone did that, we'd be in much better shape.
    No doubt! And why I was pointing out that people are STILL out there ignoring this to an extent, or violating the various orders. Lines galore at every store that happens to be open. People walking around town for who knows what reason, but I assure you they aren't all out their jogging or exercising. Dunkin Donuts parking lot nearly full. Supermarket had tons of cars and yet no lines, so everyone must be inside. People around here are NOT solely going out for essentials and hightailing it back home. Folks in Cvs for example, roaming the aisles and what not. Medication and get out of dodge. They have zero paper products and their refrigerated section sucks, so not much reason to be roaming the aisles, other than maybe the medication aisle in addition to the pharmacy. But no one in that aisle when I was there. So mostly normal for many. Costco had incredible lines and crowds and lack of social distancing, even if the club is trying to do the right thing. And it's like that everywhere I drive around to. Unfortunately, I think many knuckleheads will find out the hard way, by either getting sick or getting a family member sick. And who knows who else. I won't get out of my truck unless it's to go to get an essential, but we are relying mostly on delivery for things.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post