Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default More Clarity: The End Of EU Experiment?

Interesting times:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-just-kill-eu/

European Leaders Lament: Coronavirus Might Just Kill The EU Too
    ED MORRISSEYPosted at 11:31 am on April 4, 2020

Interesting in that Russia plays China in European theater.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Interesting times:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-just-kill-eu/

Interesting in that Russia plays China in European theater.
    The end of the EU experiment ? Oh, I think so !!

Power-mongers moved in on the old EEC trading entity, and turned it into the control-freaking political and economic colossus it now is. Fast-forward to recent times, and the EU Parliament worked, as it always does, to pass its laws and align all Member States ever-closer to an interlocking entity, increasingly centrally ruled and centrally definable. The United States of Europe was becoming an increasing reality, with its own currency, highly porous borders.

Enter Covid-19 on to the scene.

The new reality made the foundling standard of free movement of EU's peoples across EU borders a gift to the virus, and a potential suicide note for 'wandering' EU citizens. I'm sure Covid-19 is suitably grateful !

Lockdowns are, of course, paralysing economic activity in all EU States. The strengths of each Member States' economies will vary, even despite being united by a single currency (.. madness in itself ! ..). All EU economies will suffer. But some will suffer far more than others.

Not too long from now, I think we'll see bailout requests that will dwarf Greece's. Greece itself put the EU under strain, but requests to come, these arriving when the EU as an economic entity has never in its history been weaker, may well break the EU.

Stronger economies' leaders see the danger. If they grant bailouts, they'll be on crippling terms, of the type they inflicted on Greece.

Other EU nations will see this, and will wonder why they're a part of an organisation which makes life very difficult for member States whenever the EU club is under strain. Do the disadvantages outweigh the supposed advantages ? Do the EU 'elites' punish their weaker neighbours, when it suits them to ?

It so happens that the two hardest-hit nations (so far) are two of the weaker EU economies. Their need for help will be that much greater, and urgent. Apparently .. the EU will effectively punish them for it.

And the EU experiment will be seen to be, I think, a bankrupt one ... in more ways than one.

Three cheers for Brexit !! The UK got out just in time.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    The end of the EU experiment ? Oh, I think so !!

Power-mongers moved in on the old EEC trading entity, and turned it into the control-freaking political and economic colossus it now is. Fast-forward to recent times, and the EU Parliament worked, as it always does, to pass its laws and align all Member States ever-closer to an interlocking entity, increasingly centrally ruled and centrally definable. The United States of Europe was becoming an increasing reality, with its own currency, highly porous borders.

Enter Covid-19 on to the scene.

The new reality made the foundling standard of free movement of EU's peoples across EU borders a gift to the virus, and a potential suicide note for 'wandering' EU citizens. I'm sure Covid-19 is suitably grateful !

Lockdowns are, of course, paralysing economic activity in all EU States. The strengths of each Member States' economies will vary, even despite being united by a single currency (.. madness in itself ! ..). All EU economies will suffer. But some will suffer far more than others.

Three cheers for Brexit !! The UK got out just in time.
    That's why I've been saying for a couple weeks now, I think we're going to see a global financial reset. All nations get a clean slate. All debt will be forgiven.

I don't see any other way out, because I think the world economy will be crippled beyond repair.

I haven't heard the idea mentioned yet, but I believe we will, possibly not until it's all over, when the enormity of the world financial calamity sets in.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-04-2020 at 02:47 PM.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    That's why I've been saying for a couple weeks now, I think we're going to see a global financial reset. All nations get a clean slate. All debt will be forgiven.

I don't see any other way out, because I think the world economy will be crippled beyond repair.

I haven't heard the idea mentioned yet, but I believe we will, possibly not until it's all over, and the enormity of the world financial calamity sets in.
    I'm not so sure. Was just listening to one of the weekend money shows. Of the unemployment claims applied for, over 66% are restaurant/bar related. The rest are retail, etc. Few are salaries over $30k.

I told a story yesterday of how I accidentally facetime called my son. He was working. He was also dressed for work, as he said the others (customers) he was speaking with also were. Even his wife, a domestic violence atty, has been working from home, as have judges, those keeping the notes, etc. The 'businesses' are continuing, will be interesting.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Gunny, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'm not so sure. Was just listening to one of the weekend money shows. Of the unemployment claims applied for, over 66% are restaurant/bar related. The rest are retail, etc. Few are salaries over $30k.

I told a story yesterday of how I accidentally facetime called my son. He was working. He was also dressed for work, as he said the others (customers) he was speaking with also were. Even his wife, a domestic violence atty, has been working from home, as have judges, those keeping the notes, etc. The 'businesses' are continuing, will be interesting.
    Yeah we'll see. It depends on how long everything has to remain shut down.

I know the banks won't like the idea, because they'll all be looking at billions, possibly trillions in back interest. That's what will kill the world economy.

10. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

My daughter has to dress as if she was going to the school, then go sit in the spare bedroom and teach.

I agree the social establishments are the ones that are going to take it the hardest. The reset I see is going to be with the young. TGIF crowd. I will honestly say that 15 years ago this would have KILLED me. I've closed every country dance hall (club) in San Antonio and surrounding area more than a few times each
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

12. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post