Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I wish this had been along the line of your morning, Good Friday post.
    As a wise woman once taught me, "I have seen though where not defending your faith may get you."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    As a wise woman once taught me, "I have seen though where not defending your faith may get you."
    Was someone attacking yours? From the front? From the flank? Let me see!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Was someone attacking yours? From the front? From the flank? Let me see!
    It was meant in jest, I was hoping it would be received that way. I apologize if it was taken as an attack.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord's Face shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
    May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace.
    Last edited by FakeNewsSux; 04-10-2020 at 12:06 PM.

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It was meant in jest, I was hoping it would be received that way. I apologize if it was taken as an attack.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord's Grace shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
    May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Thank you! Here's one in return:

May those who love us, love us, and those who don't, may God turn their hearts, and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Actually there is a ton of anti-Catholic feeling here, always has been. Not surprise. As a former Catholic, I know you know the teachings on the Pope are not that he is infallible in any manner other than regarding the teachings of Christ. He's not infallible as a man, as a priest, etc. I now you know that.
    I don’t think most non-Catholics make that distinction.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

On this Good Friday we are all reminded that Jesus died for all creation. We are all children of God and through the faith in God brought to us through baptism, we know that our sins have been forgiven through the Grace of God. We need to be more diligent in carrying out His final and greatest commandment to love each other as we love ourselves.

I do possess religious preferences but I don't believe that I am anti any particular religion. The founder of my denomination was a Catholic monk. The Son of God was Jewish. Abraham is a central figure in the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths. You may not believe this but last night, after watching a webcast of my church's Maundy Thursday service, I watched the Passover Seder on Jewish Life TV. I have many Jewish friends but have never participated in a seder and was interested in what it was like. Other than not understanding Hebrew, the stories and the traditions were all very familiar to me.

Just as the Passover reminds us of the ten plagues of Egypt and God's deliverance of his people, we're are told that Easter Sunday is to be the peak of our present day plague. May the Easter lesson of God's victory over death be made even more profound this year as God delivers his people to victory over COVID-19.

May God bless us all.
    ^^ This ^^

Thank you, FNS.

-Abbey

10. Thanks FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I don’t think most non-Catholics make that distinction.
    Which is why one needs to make the distinction. They work from ignorance and bad teachings of their religious leaders.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Which is why one needs to make the distinction. They work from ignorance and bad teachings of their religious leaders.
    I myself have experienced a couple of religious speakers really tearing down the Catholic Church.
    I mean like it is practically the root of all evil to come. Russ and I did not like it, nor did we buy the supposed prophecies about the Church. But we try to be discerning about what we hear preached (which is why I question this Pope, too).

To your point, it can get really nasty, and I totally understand why it bothers you. It would bother me, too.

I think a good test for what what we hear is, does it come from love and the Bible, or something more sinister? Particularly in the more obscure passages as in Revelation, we need to be very careful that the preacher isn’t following his own agenda. To sell books, for example.

Finally, my Mah Jongg group are all devout practicing Catholics. One goes to Mass every single day, another does all sorts of volunteer work for the poor at the Church. They are all great women and are exemplary Catholics.

-Abbey

13. Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I myself have experienced a couple of religious speakers really tearing down the Catholic Church.
    I mean like it is practically the root of all evil to come. Russ and I did not like it, nor did we buy the supposed prophecies about the Church. But we try to be discerning about what we hear preached (which is why I question this Pope, too).

To your point, it can get really nasty, and I totally understand why it bothers you. It would bother me, too.

I think a good test for what what we hear is, does it come from love and the Bible, or something more sinister? Particularly in the more obscure passages as in Revelation, we need to be very careful that the preacher isn’t following his own agenda. To sell books, for example.

Finally, my Mah Jongg group are all devout practicing Catholics. One goes to Mass every single day, another does all sorts of volunteer work for the poor at the Church. They are all great women and are exemplary Catholics.
    I tend to be of the mindset that those trained up in a loving God, don't tend towards hating others, even those whose behaviors we judge wrong. I don't condone homosexuality, but calling them names or damning them? Well that just isn't my jam or lane. It's God's lane.

I don't see much 'peace' in Islam, though I do know that most are not out murdering, planning murders, whether through planes, knives, or beheadings. I surely would not seek out Muslim neighbors as friends, though I don't seek out anyone to be friends, IF somehow our paths did cross and I found them friendly, well yea.

I had very good parents, they made mistakes. They also made clear that the modeled themselves after the Holy Family, but could never be as perfect as God the Father-the father of us all. That is church teachings.

15. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Most of my friends are Protestants, but not of the ilk of some here, though they share some denominations. They too have heard ministers go off on the 'Catholics' and didn't like it.

Weirdly, I've never, not once, heard a priest say anything derogatory about any other religion.

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

...the teachings on the Pope are not that he is infallible in any manner other than regarding the teachings of Christ. He's not infallible as a man, as a priest...
    That is interesting. Speaking as a non-Catholic, I have to say I did not realize that - I thought that Catholics considered the Pope infallible in general. How are people to know when the Pope is speaking based on the teaching of Christ, and when he is just speaking in general?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That is interesting. Speaking as a non-Catholic, I have to say I did not realize that - I thought that Catholics considered the Pope infallible in general. How are people to know when the Pope is speaking based on the teaching of Christ, and when he is just speaking in general?
    As with most Catholic law or law in general, it’s complicated. Infallibility only pertains to issues concerning Jesus’s teachings, so something HE said or did.

Not or eating meat or dietary laws or Old Testament stuff. Not possible to explain and I’m no expert. But things like holy days, behaviors, are changeable. Like executive orders if you will.

20. Thanks Russ, Abbey Marie thanked this post