Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
I myself have experienced a couple of religious speakers really tearing down the Catholic Church.
I mean like it is practically the root of all evil to come. Russ and I did not like it, nor did we buy the supposed prophecies about the Church. But we try to be discerning about what we hear preached (which is why I question this Pope, too).

To your point, it can get really nasty, and I totally understand why it bothers you. It would bother me, too.

I think a good test for what what we hear is, does it come from love and the Bible, or something more sinister? Particularly in the more obscure passages as in Revelation, we need to be very careful that the preacher isn’t following his own agenda. To sell books, for example.

Finally, my Mah Jongg group are all devout practicing Catholics. One goes to Mass every single day, another does all sorts of volunteer work for the poor at the Church. They are all great women and are exemplary Catholics.
I tend to be of the mindset that those trained up in a loving God, don't tend towards hating others, even those whose behaviors we judge wrong. I don't condone homosexuality, but calling them names or damning them? Well that just isn't my jam or lane. It's God's lane.

I don't see much 'peace' in Islam, though I do know that most are not out murdering, planning murders, whether through planes, knives, or beheadings. I surely would not seek out Muslim neighbors as friends, though I don't seek out anyone to be friends, IF somehow our paths did cross and I found them friendly, well yea.

I had very good parents, they made mistakes. They also made clear that the modeled themselves after the Holy Family, but could never be as perfect as God the Father-the father of us all. That is church teachings.