Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Executive order regarding Texas businesses reopening could be coming next week, Gov.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...0-97c62ffcb39b

I'm glad our Governor understands that a long-term shutdown isn't sustainable.

AUSTIN, Texas — An executive order regarding plans to the reopen Texas businesses is expected to come sometime in the coming week, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott revealed at a press conference on April 10.
    Gov. Abbott didn't offer additional details on the executive order but said the State was focusing on protecting lives while also restoring livelihoods.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I think that the states/areas that don't have an overwhelming virus problem will begin opening in some measure in the coming weeks.

What the idiot 'religious' are planning in LA for 2k for service in Baton Rouge, one of the country's hot spots still rising is proof of 'you can't quarantine stupid.' Maybe Darwinianism is inevitable in some places. If only the idiots were the only ones infected.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I think that the states/areas that don't have an overwhelming virus problem will begin opening in some measure in the coming weeks.

What the idiot 'religious' are planning in LA for 2k for service in Baton Rouge, one of the country's hot spots still rising is proof of 'you can't quarantine stupid.' Maybe Darwinianism is inevitable in some places. If only the idiots were the only ones infected.

I wonder what should happen when masses of Pelican Staters want to escape to Houston.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post

It could be argued that it's not for me, a non-American, to tell Americans their own business.

But I know short-sighted stupidity when I see it.

It took weeks for the UK outbreak to take hold. We had a period during which we were confident that the source of every single instance of infection could be traced, isolated, managed.

We were wrong, of course. Infection and death rates, today, are reminiscent of Italy's appalling statistics. It only takes ONE, repeat, ONE, infected individual to be the catalyst for infection that grows exponentially.

Current UK thinking is that our lockdown, now almost of three weeks' duration, may need to continue for MONTHS longer. Will that do bad and long-lasting financial harm ? Undoubtedly it will.

But, do we have a reasonable alternative, in the absence of a vaccine or cure ? Few think we do.

One strand of opinion is that infections may drop off with summer appproaching ... Covid-19 does less well in higher temperatures (no doubt a reason that Singapore managed their outbreak well, as temperatures there are at equatorial levels, permanently). Which then suggests that reinfections might follow 'flu seasons' ... i.e, recur every winter.
    Last edited by Drummond; 04-11-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post

A quick, and extremely obvious, question to put to you, Tailfins.

Given that you won't agree that a long-term shutdown is an acceptable outcome .. what death toll do you say IS acceptable, for the sake of maintaining business activity ?

To the nearest THOUSAND deaths will do, if this poses any problem for you ....
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    A quick, and extremely obvious, question to put to you, Tailfins.

Given that you won't agree that a long-term shutdown is an acceptable outcome .. what death toll do you say IS acceptable, for the sake of maintaining business activity ?

To the nearest THOUSAND deaths will do, if this poses any problem for you ....

We can use the H1N1 Pandemic from 2009 as a yardstick. The economy was NOT closed down and there were over 12,000 deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
    If monthly Coronavirus deaths can be kept under 1,000, there is precedent for not closing things down.
    Last edited by tailfins; 04-11-2020 at 05:23 PM.