Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Unconscionable

Who cares about those in nursing homes or working in them? Not Cuomo:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/corona...sxJBoZ6dUmy96M

Gov. Cuomo says ‘it’s not our job’ to provide PPE to nursing homes
    By Bernadette Hogan, Carl Campanile and Bruce GoldingApril 22, 2020 |

Gov. Andrew Cuomo insisted that “it’s not our job” to provide coronavirus-ravaged nursing homes with personal protective equipment — even as more than 3,000 patients have lost their lives in facilities ordered by his administration to take in COVID-19 patients.

“We have been helping them with more PPE but, again, it’s not our job,” Cuomo said Wednesday during his daily briefing in Albany.

Pressed on why coronavirus patients were not kept out of the facilities, which treat the elderly and other vulnerable populations, Cuomo insisted that the state regulated, but did not “run,” New York’s privately owned nursing homes.

“You’ll be out of business if you’re not providing your staff with the right equipment. You’re out of business. That we can do,” he said of state regulations.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Waiting for the outrage from the left
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

This IS unconscionable. Shame on him.

This is what I mean when I say I think people are being selfish and don’t really care about those with risk factors. The elderly, in spades.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

5. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Waiting for the outrage from the left
    It's so wrong. The nursing homes were forced to take virus positive patients. Most do not have the necessary equipment, doctors, nurses. They are not equipped to keep this type of quarantine, much like the cruise ships weren't. It's like, "Let's kill the old!"

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

20% of all US Covid deaths were in nursing homes.

Several investigations on why, though known is that many were forced to take patients that were known positive and were not equipped to deal with such a contagious disease. They didn't have the equipment, nor the training.

It's almost like the government just doesn't care about the old/sick.

9. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Who cares about those in nursing homes or working in them? Not Cuomo:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/corona...sxJBoZ6dUmy96M
    Says the man screaming at Trump for more equipment. The hypocrisy of the guy is beyond imaginable.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

11. Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Says the man screaming at Trump for more equipment. The hypocrisy of the guy is beyond imaginable.
    There were many things he said that I thought were spot on, especially when the crisis in his city was at the worst points. Then he would reprimand deBlasio, while not being too nasty. Mostly he gave Trump credit where due.

This though? Unforgivable. Nursing homes are where those who are ill, but not so ill as to need a hospital. Mainly they are for rehab or for when family will not let them live with them and they can't live alone.

They are not for ICU or contagious diseases.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I wonder how many people have had a loved one that had to be placed in a nursing home? How would they feel if it were a time like now?

We were fortunate in being able to keep my mom home as long as we did, 3 years with 24/6 nursing. Very expensive and would have done it through the end, IF the nurse didn't have to return to the Ukraine and there was any possibility we could get my mom to accept someone new. That wasn't going to happen, she went through so many before we found Natalia. Mom was so wonderful, but she was not easy to get along with new people, especially when she was so frail.

The nursing home she was in was wonderful, for a nursing home. My dad visited her everyday, as did at least 2 other family members. It wasn't far from our homes and had a positive vibe. Every Sunday everyone, including any of the kids not away at school went to Church at the home. Afterwards they had a tea shop, cute red and white wicker with umbrellas. Opened to outside where there were swings for wheelchairs. They even served wine and beer in teeny tiny cups. LOL! Those Sundays were family time, not only for my mom, but also for the kids/cousins growing closer.

We got to know many of the people on my mom's floor, I just think of how devastated we all would have been during a time like this.

14. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

It's so wrong. The nursing homes were forced to take virus positive patients. Most do not have the necessary equipment, doctors, nurses. They are not equipped to keep this type of quarantine, much like the cruise ships weren't. It's like, "Let's kill the old!"
    I am well aware of what those places are like. That is where I was put for PT after the hospital discharged me. I may have had other factors involved in losing 50 pounds but I sure as Hell didn't gain an ounce of back on THEIR food. Their PT was joke. i had to leave the place just to get back into any semblance of shape.

Another story, but they should not use those places for phys rehab for people who are leaving. Those are one-way stops between home and the funeral parlor. The "ambiance" in those places is overbearing.

I agree with your point though. Take away any defense the elderly have, then force something they can't defend against on them. That's about as messed up as it gets and sheds the veneer off any pretense of protecting the weak; one of the principles this Nation was founded on and is quick to proclaim. Actions speak louder than words.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I wonder how many people have had a loved one that had to be placed in a nursing home? How would they feel if it were a time like now?

We were fortunate in being able to keep my mom home as long as we did, 3 years with 24/6 nursing. Very expensive and would have done it through the end, IF the nurse didn't have to return to the Ukraine and there was any possibility we could get my mom to accept someone new. That wasn't going to happen, she went through so many before we found Natalia. Mom was so wonderful, but she was not easy to get along with new people, especially when she was so frail.

The nursing home she was in was wonderful, for a nursing home. My dad visited her everyday, as did at least 2 other family members. It wasn't far from our homes and had a positive vibe. Every Sunday everyone, including any of the kids not away at school went to Church at the home. Afterwards they had a tea shop, cute red and white wicker with umbrellas. Opened to outside where there were swings for wheelchairs. They even served wine and beer in teeny tiny cups. LOL! Those Sundays were family time, not only for my mom, but also for the kids/cousins growing closer.

We got to know many of the people on my mom's floor, I just think of how devastated we all would have been during a time like this.
    My best friend's mother-in-law, 93, was just put into hospice and they're not allowed to visit. It's heartbreaking.

18. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I am well aware of what those places are like. That is where I was put for PT after the hospital discharged me. I may have had other factors involved in losing 50 pounds but I sure as Hell didn't gain an ounce of back on THEIR food. Their PT was joke. i had to leave the place just to get back into any semblance of shape.

Another story, but they should not use those places for phys rehab for people who are leaving. Those are one-way stops between home and the funeral parlor. The "ambiance" in those places is overbearing.

I agree with your point though. Take away any defense the elderly have, then force something they can't defend against on them. That's about as messed up as it gets and sheds the veneer off any pretense of protecting the weak; one of the principles this Nation was founded on and is quick to proclaim. Actions speak louder than words.
    A condition to reopen the states was to protect the vulnerable. I hope someone calls this jackass on his decision.

20. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

A condition to reopen the states was to protect the vulnerable. I hope someone calls this jackass on his decision.
    Makes it easier for the hospitals to get a 'survive' if they are treating the younger. Pretty much a given that old people were going to die.

22. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

It is doubtful. Except for those there for actual, medical necessity, the rest are there because nobody cares. The fact is, it benefits the government for them to die. The government pays more for them to live than they collect in taxes and past services (like a lifetime) don't count.

Kathianne's right. They're there to die anyway so no surprise and no loss.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Unreal... the guy is a true POS.

The very people aside from the brave health care workers on the front lines that SHOULD be protected, the ones that took care of us ALL when we were younger through sickness and health, and this dip shit just thinks it's not his job to protect them.

Good God... that ought to tick off everybody... right, left and in between.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-24-2020 at 08:38 PM.

25. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It is doubtful. Except for those there for actual, medical necessity, the rest are there because nobody cares. The fact is, it benefits the government for them to die. The government pays more for them to live than they collect in taxes and past services (like a lifetime) don't count.

Kathianne's right. They're there to die anyway so no surprise and no loss.
    Yep, my mom had been day patient at a rehab place, go there for therapy and then we'd pick her up. I didn't like that place.

While we'd rather have had mom home that last year, couldn't happen in her fragile state and her inability to accept a new nurse. Everyone would have been miserable and I had my 2 kids in high school + dad + full-time teaching. Just impossible.

As I said, for all the sadness in not having her home, it was likely the best thing at that point. We were able to bring her home for holidays and graduations and friend's wedding. She was cared for in ways we couldn't, like she didn't sleep at night much and would have tried to leave-which she'd done at home to. In the home the nurse would let her sit at the desk with newspaper, reading and cutting out articles to share with my dad the next day. The nurse said she kinda drove her nuts when she'd get upset about politics-ummm, apple and tree.

I actually had done my sociology exit paper on nursing homes in Chicago, this wasn't that! Horrid. As I said, we were lucky.

27. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post