Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Social distancing snake oil

hear is a fun article about social distancing:
    https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...t_science.html

Looks like a fun one for the science people...

2. Thanks Larrymc, revelarts thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    hear is a fun article about social distancing:
    https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...t_science.html

Looks like a fun one for the science people...
    If 'not leaving home' is part of social distancing, I agree. If keeping myself at least 6' from people I'm not acquainted with, I'm all for it, masked preferably.

Am I staying home until/IF a vaccine exists? No. Am I rushing to get my hair cut, (badly needed btw), No. Going to sit down in a restaurant to eat? Not happening. Shopping in an inside mall? No thanks. Walking around at parks, hiking? Sure.

Granted, I'm not a big shopper or even huge on going out for dinner, though I do enjoy doing that with friends.

I think some good commonsense says the more distance you keep between yourself and someone infected, (honestly that could be vice versa, but NOT ME!), the less likely the virus will infect. 6' doesn't seem 'big enough' to me, but that would be my normal, preferred bubble. I'm liking more like 12-15', but not always available.

Have always been big on handwashing, now seriously worrying about getting OCD with it. Oh well, worse habits.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If 'not leaving home' is part of social distancing, I agree. If keeping myself at least 6' from people I'm not acquainted with, I'm all for it, masked preferably.

Am I staying home until/IF a vaccine exists? No. Am I rushing to get my hair cut, (badly needed btw), No. Going to sit down in a restaurant to eat? Not happening. Shopping in an inside mall? No thanks. Walking around at parks, hiking? Sure.

Granted, I'm not a big shopper or even huge on going out for dinner, though I do enjoy doing that with friends.

I think some good commonsense says the more distance you keep between yourself and someone infected, (honestly that could be vice versa, but NOT ME!), the less likely the virus will infect. 6' doesn't seem 'big enough' to me, but that would be my normal, preferred bubble. I'm liking more like 12-15', but not always available.

Have always been big on handwashing, now seriously worrying about getting OCD with it. Oh well, worse habits.
    Why do you social distance? What did you think about what the article said about your social distance habits?

6. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Why do you social distance? What did you think about what the article said about your social distance habits?
    I understand that it's not 'proven.' I also understand how contagious disease spreads, so I guess I'm betting on the hypothesis that keeping distance and barriers and hand washing can't hurt and probably will help.

Consider the 'lock down' in the sense that it did prevent a rapid spread and overwhelming the hospital systems.

As people do go out, without a doubt infections will occur. Most will not know or think they have a weird cold or feel a bit off, they'll wonder, but since they are 'OK,' they'll keep going. More will be infected and so on. Some will get sick, some will die. If it goes 'hot' there will be a strong motivation for people to re-start avoiding crowds, gathering masks, etc. again. Won't go to full shut down, at least in any big way.

Since I'm older, with hypertension, I'll stay more vigilant than if I were younger.

Nothing I'm doing will hurt me or anyone else. Well, except perhaps when I head to London. . .

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Black Diamond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I understand that it's not 'proven.' I also understand how contagious disease spreads, so I guess I'm betting on the hypothesis that keeping distance and barriers and hand washing can't hurt and probably will help.

Consider the 'lock down' in the sense that it did prevent a rapid spread and overwhelming the hospital systems.

As people do go out, without a doubt infections will occur. Most will not know or think they have a weird cold or feel a bit off, they'll wonder, but since they are 'OK,' they'll keep going. More will be infected and so on. Some will get sick, some will die. If it goes 'hot' there will be a strong motivation for people to re-start avoiding crowds, gathering masks, etc. again. Won't go to full shut down, at least in any big way.

Since I'm older, with hypertension, I'll stay more vigilant than if I were younger.

Nothing I'm doing will hurt me or anyone else. Well, except perhaps when I head to London. . .
    Yeah you'll send the Brits into panic mode apparently.

10. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Next horror film in the UK : Ameriphobia.

12. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Do we really know that lockdowns really did stop rapid spread and overwhelmed hospitals?

14. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Do we really know that lockdowns really did stop rapid spread and overwhelmed hospitals?
    Flattening the curve is about keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed.

16. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Back on track, I practice social distancing and sometimes wear a mask out of respect for others. I am pretty sure my wife and I had covid at the end of Jan and early Feb (can't prove it yet, we might get tested for antibodies) . Whatever we had lasted about four weeks. We are in las vegas which is one of the most international cities in the world and, not to sound xenophobic, a high volume of Chinese folks travel to Las Vegas. There is a study going on in California that says the virus was out here as early as November.

I have no fear of the virus, but I try to be respectful of others who might be.

18. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Kathianne, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Oh that's true. Could be dumb luck. I'll go with the other hypothesis though. Look what happened in the nursing homes, when knowingly positive Corona patients were forced upon them. So, prove? No, (you're sounding a bit like Drummond), but I'm pretty convinced on the highly contagious designation. You don't think so?

20. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Oh that's true. Could be dumb luck. I'll go with the other hypothesis though. Look what happened in the nursing homes, when knowingly positive Corona patients were forced upon them. So, prove? No, (you're sounding a bit like Drummond), but I'm pretty convinced on the highly contagious designation. You don't think so?
    I'm just asking you these questions in the spirit of the article. On that note, is there any evidence that lockdowns or social distancing has done anything at all? Any evidence of a flatter curve that was caused by these things? From the article that this thread is about, what did you think of this passage?:

...Very likely, you already instinctively know that the guidelines suggesting that it’s somehow helpful to keep a six-foot space between healthy people, even outdoors, is not based on science, but just an arbitrary suggestion we’ve been conditioned to accept without evidence.
    And your gut feeling would be right. There’s a reason that “social distancing” wasn’t a buzzword common to the American lexicon prior to 2020. There’s very little science behind “social distancing” at all....

22. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Flattening the curve is about keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed.
    Is there any evidence that proves that social distancing or lockdowns have flattened the curve? How do we know what flattened the curve, or if it really is flatter?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Is there any evidence that proves that social distancing or lockdowns have flattened the curve? How do we know what flattened the curve, or if it really is flatter?
    Only the data points, connected. Your hypothesis?

Personally I don't mind just brainstorming what it might be, but I've already given the hypothesis I'm going with; that we're faced with a new, highly contagious virus. There may have been over reaction, though considering what was happening in Italy, perhaps not. Overwhelming the hospitals may have led to much worse choices than Cuomo's with the nursing homes or preventing cancer patients from getting chemo.

Do I think that a better way may have been chosen? Perhaps in hindsight, but that always does seem better.

Now where we go from here?

Notice no 'prove' or 'proof' or demanding 'science?'

25. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Only the data points, connected. Your hypothesis?

Personally I don't mind just brainstorming what it might be, but I've already given the hypothesis I'm going with; that we're faced with a new, highly contagious virus. There may have been over reaction, though considering what was happening in Italy, perhaps not. Overwhelming the hospitals may have led to much worse choices than Cuomo's with the nursing homes or preventing cancer patients from getting chemo.

Do I think that a better way may have been chosen? Perhaps in hindsight, but that always does seem better.

Now where we go from here?

Notice no 'prove' or 'proof' or demanding 'science?'
    I have no idea what the curve would have looked like if we didn't social distance or lock down.

I enjoyed the article, and it certainly gave me some fun rhetoric and ideas to play with. The more I think about the lack of science behind social distancing, the more I like the points made in the article. Coronavirus is a massive political weapon that is quite capable of exploiting the lack of virology knowledge in society, so I am delighted to have encountered that article. It's a fresh perspective for me. As usual though, I only use the article to help my search for the truth, and I do not trust or believe the article.
    Last edited by Evmetro; 05-12-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The true purpose and reason of "shelter in place" and social distancing is at control. At
    this point it's to take a census. Did you know there are spy satellites that can detect our
    heat signatures from outer space even through buildings? Social distance is so that those
    satellites can get an accurate count of people on the streets. Then this data is run through
    powerful computers using powerful algorithms, there are savant geniuses who can write such
    programs. TPTB love a good body count. But you Vietnam guys already knew that.

The 2nd COVID Wave we've been told will occur by the Deep State, this will be something
    on the order of an anthrax attack, followed by the evacuation of cities which will then be
    subjected to airburst neutron bombs. You can laugh all you want or say it's a parody, but
    those things are on the drawing board. I've told you already about the Chinese ghost cities.
    Of course none of these things atone for the sins of the WHO and all the criminal agencies
    at Ft. Detrick. In typical Hebrew fashion, We the People is who'll pay for their sins.

What was going on when Mary and Joseph were traveling to Bethlehem? Census.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

Again, laugh and mock all you want but the Globalist NWO is taking cues from the scriptures,
    they have been for some time now in their quest for a One World Religion. You see because
    every New World Order needs a New Messiah.

Laugh and mock, but you'd best wake up to the fact that pure evil exists in this world. Did you
    know that some of the top people in bureaucratic government have philosophy and ethics degrees?
    These people do nothing all day but study current trends and develop agendas, then they philosophize
    about those trends and agendas in terms of war. Then their thoughts are passed along to military planners,
    who then scheme to brings those philosophies to the battlefield. Remember on the campaign trail when
    George Bush said he admired the "philosophy" of Jesus Christ? Next thing you know, he was blowing
    up everything up in the Middle East where our nation's reign of terror continues.

28. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post