Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Taking shots at someone when you have them on ignore ATTENTION Jimmy

I placed this down here because it will invariably turn into a food fight, but it's actually meant as food for thought.

Stop tolerating people who take shots at people who they claim to have on ignore. I'm not going to name names in this particular thread because that isn't my purpose here, but certain posters who like to continually remind the board that they have certain members on ignore and then take shot at those members they have on ignore should lose their ability to put anyone on ignore.

If you're going to go the pussy route of placing someone on ignore, don't double down on pussy by taking shots at them . Actually ignore them.

That is all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I placed this down here because it will invariably turn into a food fight, but it's actually meant as food for thought.

Stop tolerating people who take shots at people who they claim to have on ignore. I'm not going to name names in this particular thread because that isn't my purpose here, but certain posters who like to continually remind the board that they have certain members on ignore and then take shot at those members they have on ignore should lose their ability to put anyone on ignore.

If you're going to go the pussy route of placing someone on ignore, don't double down on pussy by taking shots at them . Actually ignore them.

That is all.
    I'm surprised that people would actually use an ignore function in such a small community. I shopped this site for awhile before signing up and ended up rolling the dice on it because it looked less likely to censor conservatives, but I was also interested in the type of people who were posting. Ignore type stuff is usually seen on bigger boards, from what I have seen.

3. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    I'm surprised that people would actually use an ignore function in such a small community. I shopped this site for awhile before signing up and ended up rolling the dice on it because it looked less likely to censor conservatives, but I was also interested in the type of people who were posting. Ignore type stuff is usually seen on bigger boards, from what I have seen.

Jim encourages children who can dish it but not take it to put people on ignore. That's sort of the point of this thread, if you're a child who can dish it but not take it , and so you put someone on ignore, then you shouldn't continue dishing it to those people.

5. Likes Evmetro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Jim encourages children who can dish it but not take it to put people on ignore. That's sort of the point of this thread, if you're a child who can dish it but not take it , and so you put someone on ignore, then you shouldn't continue dishing it to those people.

One of the many things I enjoy about political boards is the conflict. Conflict is at the heart of politics, so flaming and trolling are par for the course. I feel lucky when I encounter somebody who can dish it out to me, but also back it up. Ignore seems like one of the weakest things I have seen people do on political boards. It's a snowflake move, but I have even seen righties do it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I encourage the use of the ignore function when folks get into feuds that don't seem to end and carry on into thread after thread. And eventually they end up hating one another, and inevitably someone ends up sending me messages about it. That's when I would initially push the ignore function ability.

It's very rarely used, but if and when it is used, you might as well do it the right way. But this isn't something we force upon anyone.

If someone wants to put another on ignore, and it takes away long feuds and many ruined threads, then I think that's a good idea. And if someone chooses to do so, they shouldn't be using the option to view the posts anyway, or replying to people on ignore, by replying to quoted posts. It defeats the purpose of having someone on ignore, and ending any feuding issues.

And if someone is on ignore and knows it, they shouldn't purposely reply to that person when they post, or reply to someone else when they quote them. They know they are on ignore, and should just leave it at that.

But I see ignore being used, and folks replying to that person anyway, and the person using the ignore function, also reply/post towards or about the person they are supposedly ignoring.

I say all the above in general based on 13-17 years of doing this and based on those I have seen that use the ignore feature for whatever reason. I have seen some use the ignore feature and never a peep again, so it works if one wants it to. And of course I have seen it defeat its own purpose many a time as well.

Ain't no perfect answer, but this one offers something without US doing any censoring. Unless of course the feuding goes elsewhere and not here where it was posted as it should be.

Now, if I were to monitor any further, and say something when things start heating up, to try and intervene before things get worse - then folks get angry with me for blaming them, even though both sides would be getting the identical message of 'let's just chill, ignore is your best bet...' message. And then someone wants to bail.

Short of my intervention when things like this happen, which none of us want, I honestly don't have the perfect answers. I say "reply in kind" and then folks get angry and things heated and then ultimately I get PM's and it starts up once again, and then my ass is blamed somehow.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I encourage the use of the ignore function when folks get into feuds that don't seem to end and carry on into thread after thread. And eventually they end up hating one another, and inevitably someone ends up sending me messages about it. That's when I would initially push the ignore function ability.

It's very rarely used, but if and when it is used, you might as well do it the right way. But this isn't something we force upon anyone.

If someone wants to put another on ignore, and it takes away long feuds and many ruined threads, then I think that's a good idea. And if someone chooses to do so, they shouldn't be using the option to view the posts anyway, or replying to people on ignore, by replying to quoted posts. It defeats the purpose of having someone on ignore, and ending any feuding issues.

And if someone is on ignore and knows it, they shouldn't purposely reply to that person when they post, or reply to someone else when they quote them. They know they are on ignore, and should just leave it at that.

But I see ignore being used, and folks replying to that person anyway, and the person using the ignore function, also reply/post towards or about the person they are supposedly ignoring.

I say all the above in general based on 13-17 years of doing this and based on those I have seen that use the ignore feature for whatever reason. I have seen some use the ignore feature and never a peep again, so it works if one wants it to. And of course I have seen it defeat its own purpose many a time as well.

Ain't no perfect answer, but this one offers something without US doing any censoring. Unless of course the feuding goes elsewhere and not here where it was posted as it should be.

Now, if I were to monitor any further, and say something when things start heating up, to try and intervene before things get worse - then folks get angry with me for blaming them, even though both sides would be getting the identical message of 'let's just chill, ignore is your best bet...' message. And then someone wants to bail.

Short of my intervention when things like this happen, which none of us want, I honestly don't have the perfect answers. I say "reply in kind" and then folks get angry and things heated and then ultimately I get PM's and it starts up once again, and then my ass is blamed somehow.

My only point in THIS thread was that you shouldn't allow people to place people on ignore yet take shots at them.

As for not responding to those who you know have you on ignore, feel free to look I acknowledged Tyr had me on ignore and left him alone during that time until he started his thread taking a shot at me, and then also took shots at me in a few threads upstairs.

It's rare that I am blameless in a situation, but in this case I am.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

My only point in THIS thread was that you shouldn't allow people to place people on ignore yet take shots at them.
    When you figure out how to code that and defeat the obvious workaround of toggling the function, code it up and sell it to VB for millions.

As for not responding to those who you know have you on ignore, feel free to look I acknowledged Tyr had me on ignore and left him alone during that time until he started his thread taking a shot at me, and then also took shots at me in a few threads upstairs.

It's rare that I am blameless in a situation, but in this case I am.

You know, I've been working these boards with Jim since right after 9-11. I've been in some nasty, knock-down-drag-out fights on the internet, and sometimes I even lost. NOT ONCE did it ever occur to me to go crying to Admin or even Ownership about how someone was mean to me.

Show us on the doll where Tyr hurt you. Seriously, grow up and be a man. This petty juvenile shit is fucking stupid.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    When you figure out how to code that and defeat the obvious workaround of toggling the function, code it up and sell it to VB for millions.

You know, I've been working these boards with Jim since right after 9-11. I've been in some nasty, knock-down-drag-out fights on the internet, and sometimes I even lost. NOT ONCE did it ever occur to me to go crying to Admin or even Ownership about how someone was mean to me.

Show us on the doll where Tyr hurt you. Seriously, grow up and be a man. This petty juvenile shit is fucking stupid.

I'm not crying, being petty, or not acting like a man. Your stupid insults mean nothing to me.

I'm making a valid point , if you are going to place someone on ignore, then ignore them, don't place them on ignore, when you feel like it, only to take them off when you want to attack and then if they respond cry "I have them on ignore"

and of course the solution is simple, Jim simply says "if you do _________, I take away your ability to ignore anyone" and that I know VB can handle.

Oh, allow me to add this as well. I can't help but notice that in the multiple threads people who supposedly have me on ignore have started to basically cry about how mean I am you have not once chimed in to chide them as being unmanly, suggesting perhaps that you might have an agenda, a very ugly look for a moderator , and so you can fuck right off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I'm not crying, being petty, or not acting like a man. Your stupid insults mean nothing to me.

I'm making a valid point , if you are going to place someone on ignore, then ignore them, don't place them on ignore, when you feel like it, only to take them off when you want to attack and then if they respond cry "I have them on ignore"

and of course the solution is simple, Jim simply says "if you do _________, I take away your ability to ignore anyone" and that I know VB can handle.

Oh, allow me to add this as well. I can't help but notice that in the multiple threads people who supposedly have me on ignore have started to basically cry about how mean I am you have not once chimed in to chide them as being unmanly, suggesting perhaps that you might have an agenda, a very ugly look for a moderator , and so you can fuck right off.

I haven't seen anyone crying to Jim because other members are mean. Only you.

If they were, I would say the same to them. I've already talked to you about your fetish of running to Jim crying about the injustices you suffer. Those petty tattletale antics are fucking exhausting, and I'll clue you in on something : you have been the subject of multiple threads in Staff with your behavior. And the subject matter is pretty much all the same, just rotate in another person who said something you didn't like. Free speech cuts both ways, genius.

If you want to participate in the not-so-genteel world of political boards on the internet, you'd better grow some skin on that chickadee ass of yours.

And have a care with your wording to me, little man. I have teeth.

13. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

^This type of bullshit is exactly why this board has less posters than it did even 3 years ago. It's a fucking clique where as long as you agree with the proscribed opinions the many won't say shit to you. I mean a fucking moderator posting in this thread should have only had one thing to say on the subject "yes, that's true, if you use the ignore function, you shouldn't be toggling it on and off as you choose to take shots at a poster and then place them back on ignore" but Jim posted in this thread and didn't say that, and now NightTrain has also posted in this thread and not only didn't say that, but threw shade my way .

Ridiculous.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I haven't seen anyone crying to Jim because other members are mean. Only you.

If they were, I would say the same to them. I've already talked to you about your fetish of running to Jim crying about the injustices you suffer. Those petty tattletale antics are fucking exhausting, and I'll clue you in on something : you have been the subject of multiple threads in Staff with your behavior. And the subject matter is pretty much all the same, just rotate in another person who said something you didn't like. Free speech cuts both ways, genius.

If you want to participate in the not-so-genteel world of political boards on the internet, you'd better grow some skin on that chickadee ass of yours.

And have a care with your wording to me, little man. I have teeth.

Okay, I was gonna let you slide but now you've went too far.

I wasn't crying to Jim you fucktard, I was merely making a suggestion.

As for your claims of me being the subject of discussions on the STAFF part of the board (and how hilarious that you try to make it seem so OFFICIAL by calling it staff , this board has as many moderators as it does members) I'm sure that Jim truly appreciates you making that shit public.

Oh , I also am quite comfortable in betting money that FAR more people have PMed Jim to cry about me than the other way around FAR more . I won't divulge PMs I've received, but suffice to say that it almost ALWAYS Jim PMing me first "yo man can you.........." because some other bitch is whining again.

And YOU started this with me , not the other way around, LITTLE man, and are you now threatening me with "your teeth?" what are you going to do, misuse your little moderation power ? Or challenge me to a duel.

Talk about needing to grow up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Okay, I was gonna let you slide but now you've went too far.

I wasn't crying to Jim you fucktard, I was merely making a suggestion.

As for your claims of me being the subject of discussions on the STAFF part of the board (and how hilarious that you try to make it seem so OFFICIAL by calling it staff , this board has as many moderators as it does members) I'm sure that Jim truly appreciates you making that shit public.

Oh , I also am quite comfortable in betting money that FAR more people have PMed Jim to cry about me than the other way around FAR more . I won't divulge PMs I've received, but suffice to say that it almost ALWAYS Jim PMing me first "yo man can you.........." because some other bitch is whining again.

And YOU started this with me , not the other way around, LITTLE man, and are you now threatening me with "your teeth?" what are you going to do, misuse your little moderation power ? Or challenge me to a duel.

Talk about needing to grow up.

Take a vacation, on the house. Review the rules prior to your return.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ok. My curiosity is really itching. Does VB stand for visual basic?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Ok. My curiosity is really itching. Does VB stand for visual basic?
    vBulletin. They own the software that creates this board and tons of others. They do a pretty good job, but figuring out mods and bugs is a daunting task, it keeps Jim busy.

19. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

^This type of bullshit is exactly why this board has less posters than it did even 3 years ago. It's a fucking clique where as long as you agree with the proscribed opinions the many won't say shit to you. I mean a fucking moderator posting in this thread should have only had one thing to say on the subject "yes, that's true, if you use the ignore function, you shouldn't be toggling it on and off as you choose to take shots at a poster and then place them back on ignore" but Jim posted in this thread and didn't say that, and now NightTrain has also posted in this thread and not only didn't say that, but threw shade my way .

Ridiculous.
    I did post in this thread and I did state as much. Did you expect me to ban someone over it? Make a board announcement over it?

Folks in feuds make their own decisions and then live with any consequences. Goes for both and all sides. All sides have been asked to cease many times and asked to use the ignore function many times. If used properly many issues go away. But many refuse, then many will look at posts anyway, and many reply to folks who have them on ignore. And no one is fully innocent. So then I advise members to at least keep things in the cage if they must.

But it's not a place to make demands of me because you don't like the way things went sour after yet another fight, a continuation of a fight. So you make your comments known in the cage. Ok, and? Again, did you think someone was going to get banned over it? Other than myself shaking my head at the obvious, and explaining the obvious for the millionth time, there was nothing else to address. I agreed and stated that such replies shouldn't happen. Also, folks repetitively replying to and/or about someone who has them on ignore... or claiming that one MUST reply to what they see as stupidity, then of course there will be consequences of these types, in which people will reply in kind. Either way, it's business of your own doing and of your own making - not mine. And yet, once again, you will bitch and moan and turn shit around and point blame in my direction or the boards direction.

How about folks putting on the proper set of panties when they come here, and simply cease interacting with someone they supposedly hate so much, or someone that annoys them so much? But it's got to always turn into a feud with someone, and then demands or condemnation towards me or other staff members for not doing something that measures up to what you may want.

I really don't care any more about the stupid feuds and folks inability to handle them. I stated all I needed to say on the matter, and it should have just ended there.

It ends now.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

21. Likes NightTrain liked this post