Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Making an alternative to Drudge/Yahoo

I've seen growing hatred for Yahoo and their changes in the past few years, both design and content. Then something happened with Drudge and they went full on lefty a couple of years back. Don't know about others, but I continued with Yahoo more or less out of habit, and out of a lack of alternatives.

So I would hit Yahoo everyday for some news and sports and other regular things. They are still good for a lot of things, no doubt. But when it comes to news and political news, I would go elsewhere and more or less ignore what Yahoo was offering.

So I would end up hitting between 10-15 sites daily for a nice mixed news and make my own decisions. I hit the left too as part of those decisions, and they don't make it any tougher.

Would be nice if there was just ONE page I could go to in order to get ALL of that news in one place. So that's what I'm working on, and have a few plans. So consider this "under construction" for now and for awhile to come.

This is the link for now: https://www.protopage.com/stlrsfan

So it's a tabbed new homepage if you will.

By default upon arrival you land on the "Home" tab. Thus far I have been filling this as the "news" area if you will, but mainly political. And you're damn skippy, it's leaning right, as that's where I find the most truth. But I offer "fair and balanced" so I can read ALL of the news from both sides mainly, even if one covers a different line of accusing type of news, and much ends up wrong.... Anyway... and it's nothing more than RSS feeds pulling from these sites I like. Anywhere from the last 5-7 headlines, sometimes a small image, and it will slowly update as headlines come out. Not instant though and sometimes a refresh is needed.

Then World News, the same idea just different sites. Some load better than others, ain't my fault they suck.

Then of course sports, can't live without it! All of them, including sports, will be updated/more added/deletions and fixed over time.

Then follows the same with Finance, Technology & Entertainment...

The Weather tab is just a mix, some family and friends locations...

ALL of the stories in the above sections will open their respective article in a new page, leaving the homepage open in the other tab.

Then is the Bookmarks tab. They are just that, just bookmarks of a nice mixture.

I'd like to base this further on what my Dad may like as I've been showing it to him for a few days. And to tweak it based on feedback from you guys. What can or SHOULD be added to any of the sections? Anything that shouldn't be there? (serious of course), Rows and columns can be changed for the appearances. New tabs can be added. A few other features I may try too. But basically anything that you can think of that you would like to see there when you peek at a home page.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I've seen growing hatred for Yahoo and their changes in the past few years, both design and content. Then something happened with Drudge and they went full on lefty a couple of years back. Don't know about others, but I continued with Yahoo more or less out of habit, and out of a lack of alternatives.

So I would hit Yahoo everyday for some news and sports and other regular things. They are still good for a lot of things, no doubt. But when it comes to news and political news, I would go elsewhere and more or less ignore what Yahoo was offering.

So I would end up hitting between 10-15 sites daily for a nice mixed news and make my own decisions. I hit the left too as part of those decisions, and they don't make it any tougher.

Would be nice if there was just ONE page I could go to in order to get ALL of that news in one place. So that's what I'm working on, and have a few plans. So consider this "under construction" for now and for awhile to come.

By default upon arrival you land on the "Home" tab. Thus far I have been filling this as the "news" area if you will, but mainly political. And you're damn skippy, it's leaning right, as that's where I find the most truth. But I offer "fair and balanced" so I can read ALL of the news from both sides mainly, even if one covers a different line of accusing type of news, and much ends up wrong.... Anyway... and it's nothing more than RSS feeds pulling from these sites I like. Anywhere from the last 5-7 headlines, sometimes a small image, and it will slowly update as headlines come out. Not instant though and sometimes a refresh is needed.

Then World News, the same idea just different sites. Some load better than others, ain't my fault they suck.

Then of course sports, can't live without it! All of them, including sports, will be updated/more added/deletions and fixed over time.

ALL of the stories in the above sections will open their respective article in a new page, leaving the homepage open in the other tab.

Then is the Bookmarks tab. They are just that, just bookmarks of a nice mixture.

I'd like to base this further on what my Dad may like as I've been showing it to him for a few days. And to tweak it based on feedback from you guys. What can or SHOULD be added to any of the sections? Anything that shouldn't be there? (serious of course), Rows and columns can be changed for the appearances. New tabs can be added. A few other features I may try too. But basically anything that you can think of that you would like to see there when you peek at a home page.
    I don't remember the last time I used Yahoo. It started to remind me of having AOL in the early 2000s. It's like the kiddie version of the internet.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I am really glad to see somebody else taking action in response to the vacuum left by Drudge when his site went commie. I searched for and sampled at least a half dozen great Drudge alternatives before I adopted https://thelibertydaily.com as my official Drudge replacement, and I am confident that there is still plenty of demand for more alternatives. The silent majority welcome what you are developing, and I offer help if there is anything I can do. Looks good so far!
    Last edited by Evmetro; 05-20-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I like it.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Good place. I like it.

Disappointed in Drudge since I have been visiting it since he began. ONLY ONE REASON he left IMO....The Almighty DOLLAR. "Reference Desk" (bottom right on Drudge) seems to have control.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

So this all looks cool to me but I of course have a question

For those of us that pull up a news page and link it to post a thread on this board, how is it you expect the two (board and blog) to play off one another? Some might say, "it's on Jim's blog so why bother posting it on the board"; or, is it just business as usual? Fine if you read it on the blog but it's up for discussion here.

Not that I've been setting any records posting articles/threads nowadays
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-21-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Nice flower for wallpaper... what are you? Geh?

"I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Good eye! I didn't even notice. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

12. Thanks hjmick thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So this all looks cool to me but I of course have a question

For those of us that pull up a news page and link it to post a thread on this board, how is it you expect the two (board and blog) to play off one another? Some might say, "it's on Jim's blog so why bother posting it on the board"; or, is it just business as usual? Fine if you read it on the blog but it's up for discussion here.

Not that I've been setting any records posting articles/threads nowadays
    Not meant as any 'interaction' of one another. Just a different manner of finding news out there in the 'ol webosphere. Nothing you see there is mine, nothing more than links to the news that's out there already, just some find it easier to go to a central location and see a lot of headlines all in one place. But at the end of the day, one would still need to click an article, which opens the website of the story, and one would still share by copy/paste and share a link to the article.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

What flower?

Didn't even notice that default crap.

16. Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

What flower?

Didn't even notice that default crap.

That's what they all say...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's what they all say...

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes hjmick liked this post