Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default We should be grateful for good news in Georgia

Folks shouldn't jump too far ahead just yet. But all good signs thus far. And for accurate numbers, of course, more and more tests need to be done. But with deaths remaining low/flat, that's a good sign so far.

--

We should be grateful for good news in Georgia

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Atlanta is not burning. Bodies are not piled up in the streets. Hospitals in Georgia are not being overwhelmed; in fact, they are virtually empty. There is no mad rush for ventilators (remember those?). Instead, men, women, and children in the Peach State are returning to some semblance of normal life: working outside their homes, going to restaurants and bars, getting haircuts, exercising, and most important, spending time with their friends and families and worshipping God. The opening that began more than three weeks ago is continuing apace.

Oh, my apologies, you were waiting for bad news? Sorry, I forgot, we were actually not supposed to be rooting for the virus. Despite the apparent relish behind headlines like "Georgia's Experiment in Human Sacrifice," one assumes that most Americans, even the ones most committed to omnidirectional prophecies of doom, were actually hoping this would happen. While it really is a shame that we do not get to gloat about the cravenness and stupidity of yet another GOP politician, I think on balance most of us will be glad to hear that Gov. Brian Kemp was not badly wrong here.

What is happening instead of the widely predicted bloodbath? Confirmed cases of the virus are obviously increasing (though the actual rolling weekly average of new ones have been headed down for nearly a month) while deaths remain more or less flat. This is in fact what happens when you test more people for a disease that is not fatal or even particularly serious for the vast majority of those who contract it, for which the median age of death is higher than the American life expectancy.

How was this possible? One answer is that the lockdown did not in fact do what it was supposed to do, which is to say, meaningfully impede transmission of the virus. In fact, data both from states like Georgia and from abroad suggests that the lifting of lockdowns is positively correlated with a decrease in rates of infection. This could be because lockdowns are inherently ineffective at slowing down a disease whose spread appears to be largely intrafamilial and nosocomial.

Rest - https://theweek.com/articles/915446/...d-news-georgia
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Just a personal update from the ATL. Drove downtown to visit a friend today. Lots of kids running around having water gun fights, folks grilling out - basically a typical Memorial Day holiday weekend. Stopped by Chinatown for some carry out on the way home. Lots of cars on the road about 15% of people I saw were wearing masks.

My wife had out patient surgery Thursday for a kidney stone and the hospital was as empty as I had ever seen it. As a member of my church's council we had a vigorous debate as to when to reopen. We seem to be getting more pushback from our own synod and the older folks on the council than from the local government. We agreed to shoot for the July 4th weekend to reopen.

I can get all the hours I want at work. Put in 50 hours last week and 46 hours this week, not bad for part time. Need to report at 5 on Monday. Didn't have to but I couldn't turn down the $90/hour. Still have yet to hear of any one of the 350 employees getting COVID even though about 15% are wearing masks and social distancing is sketchy at best.

Can't wait for the Braves to start the season and if they allow fans to attend I think they wouldn't have any problem selling as many tickets as they choose to let in.

People down here seem to be very well informed as to the particulars of COVID, at risk groups, prevalence and exposure risk. The fear that was overwhelming people back in March has subsided as more becomes known about COVID. This panic reduction appears to be making the reopening phase run much smoother with people still being careful but accommodating and respectful of each other. I think people around here are more cheerful that they can just be around others than fearful of exposure.

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Operation COVID19 is far from over. Global Eugenics is on the march.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Dogger View Post
    Operation COVID19 is far from over. Global Eugenics is on the march.
    Pick one of your threads on this biowarfare or whatever it is you think this is all about. But please try to stay on topic for new threads.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post