Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default A Few Things About China and WHO Today

Granted, Minneapolis is the news grabber today, but some things happened at the White House today. Trump officially pulled US out of WHO. Good.

He also took away Hong Kong's special status perqs due to China now imposing 'One Country, one system,' in violation of treaty.

Personally I hope that many Hong Kongers come to US for political victims reasons. Smart people and China will kill them. We can use their smarts against China, as Cold War at minimum has already started.

Another view:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/376366/

MAY 29, 2020

ANSCHLUSS: China’s Real Target Is Taiwan.
    Beijing’s moves aren’t only about Hong Kong. Its real target is Taiwan, and political legitimacy in mainland China for President Xi Jinping, whose credibility has taken a beating over his handling of the coronavirus crisis. It’s a high-stakes game drawn from the playbook of Xi’s frenemy, President Donald Trump.

Taiwan’s success in handling the pandemic and global concerns over China’s opacity in the early days of the scare have bolstered the international stature of the self-governing region that has otherwise been bleeding diplomatic allies to Beijing’s economic clout in recent years. Earlier this month, the U.S., Canada, Germany, France, the U.K., Japan, Australia and New Zealand lobbied to try and get Taiwan a seat at the World Health Organization. Beijing — whose “One China” policy means it won’t deal with countries or agencies that diplomatically recognize Taiwan — has expectedly pushed back. But the proposal is still on the table, only postponed for now.

Trump, in an angry letter this month to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, claimed that Taiwan’s heath authorities had warned the UN agency of “human to-human transmission of a new virus” as early as Dec. 31 — though that’s not true. Meanwhile, France has promised to sell Taiwan weapons. And at press briefings, White House officials have been seen wearing masks labeled “Made in Taiwan.”

For all its bluster, China knows it can’t hope to regain Taiwan as a part of the motherland anytime soon. But it also can’t afford to see the self-ruled territory gain greater diplomatic weight. So it’s responding with its own stern messages — both direct and indirect.
    I certainly hope that’s all this is.

On the other hand, Xi seems to be acting more and more like a man who sees a window of opportunity that won’t stay open long.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 05-29-2020 at 04:30 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Granted, Minneapolis is the news grabber today, but some things happened at the White House today. Trump officially pulled US out of WHO. Good.

He also took away Hong Kong's special status perqs due to China now imposing 'One Country, one system,' in violation of treaty.

Personally I hope that many Hong Kongers come to US for political victims reasons. Smart people and China will kill them. We can use their smarts against China, as Cold War at minimum has already started.

Another view:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/376366/
    I'm with you right up to the "I hope the Hong Kongers come here" part. Nope. Don't want them. We're already being invaded by the ME, Mexico and S America.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

@Kathiannee Look. They can go here https://www.oann.com/u-k-proposes-ci...ong-residents/

Drummond will be most pleased
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    @Kathiannee Look. They can go here https://www.oann.com/u-k-proposes-ci...ong-residents/

Drummond will be most pleased
    Highly educated, hard workers. It's what is wanted in immigrants. Very pro-democracy.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Highly educated, hard workers. It's what is wanted in immigrants. Very pro-democracy.
    I'm all for halting any and all immigration until we can get our own crap straightened out.

I've argued this for years. "The land of opportunity" applied to us when we were the land of opportunity. When our unemployment rate is zero, THEN we can entertain the notion of immigrants.

Now, if we could trade highly-educated do nothings one for one, that would be a different matter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm all for halting any and all immigration until we can get our own crap straightened out.

I've argued this for years. "The land of opportunity" applied to us when we were the land of opportunity. When our unemployment rate is zero, THEN we can entertain the notion of immigrants.

Now, if we could trade highly-educated do nothings one for one, that would be a different matter.
    Hard working and pro-democracy/American are my biggies. Highly educated and knowledge of CCP antics is a plus.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Hard working and pro-democracy/American are my biggies. Highly educated and knowledge of CCP antics is a plus.
    I've seen very few pro-American Chinese, or any other immigrants for that matter. They just say it as the code to get in the gate. Then they start bitching about how they're being treated because of their race.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I've seen very few pro-American Chinese, or any other immigrants for that matter. They just say it as the code to get in the gate. Then they start bitching about how they're being treated because of their race.
    Hasn't been my experience. Indeed parents very supportive of children and school. Kids were disciplined regarding work, though lots of 'toys.'

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Hasn't been my experience. Indeed parents very supportive of children and school. Kids were disciplined regarding work, though lots of 'toys.'
    BTW, I'm only referring to Hong Kongers, not mainland.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well at least one person agrees with me, though would continue 'Chinese student visas' too. Me? Not so much. Too much China already eyes in our schools.

https://reason.com/2020/05/29/the-u-...-who-want-out/

The U.S. Should Immediately Grant Visas to Hong Kong Residents Who Want Out
    And it should keep taking Chinese college students too. Both strategies would be more damaging to China than the current plan of using sanctions.
    ERIC BOEHM | 5.29.2020 12:15 PM

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

BTW, I'm only referring to Hong Kongers, not mainland.
    They don't have many toys in China. I'm sure they are in awe the first time they see the over-the-top, self-indulgence of Americans, just as they surely must snort when they see what whiners here call "poor".

The difference between the Chinese on the mainland and the Chinese in Hong Kong is the South China Sea. They are ALL Chinese citizens.

How would you feel about California cutting a separate deal with China to bail it out economically? We would be screaming interference in our internal politics/economy from the rafters. I don't see it any differently the other way around.

Oh, and I WOULD support occupying California by force with Federal troops until its Third World behavior got its ass squared away. I don't see that much differently either.

I'm all for cutting all funding for WHO and punishing China financially for its at the very least irresponsible behavior and lies. But that is between the US and China and a world organization. Not the US and a province of China.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

They don't have many toys in China. I'm sure they are in awe the first time they see the over-the-top, self-indulgence of Americans, just as they surely must snort when they see what whiners here call "poor".

The difference between the Chinese on the mainland and the Chinese in Hong Kong is the South China Sea. They are ALL Chinese citizens.

How would you feel about California cutting a separate deal with China to bail it out economically? We would be screaming interference in our internal politics/economy from the rafters. I don't see it any differently the other way around.

Oh, and I WOULD support occupying California by force with Federal troops until its Third World behavior got its ass squared away. I don't see that much differently either.

I'm all for cutting all funding for WHO and punishing China financially for its at the very least irresponsible behavior and lies. But that is between the US and China and a world organization. Not the US and a province of China.
    We disagree, respectfully. No problem.

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

We disagree, respectfully. No problem.
    You beat me to it. That'll teach me to take a smoke break

Just to clarify: We disagree about Hong Kong/US interference in Hong Kong/and immigration of people "fleeing" Hong Kong?

I believe we agree on WHO and the Peoples Republic of China (government).

Sound about right?

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

You beat me to it. That'll teach me to take a smoke break

Just to clarify: We disagree about Hong Kong/US interference in Hong Kong/and immigration of people "fleeing" Hong Kong?

I believe we agree on WHO and the Peoples Republic of China (government).

Sound about right?
    Yep, against PRC/CCP; WHO

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

I'm with you right up to the "I hope the Hong Kongers come here" part. Nope. Don't want them. We're already being invaded by the ME, Mexico and S America.
    Guess what dipshit, your ancestors invaded North America. You're a fuckin alien too.