Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Drew Brees.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...ng-the-anthem/

Well I can tell which way the NFL is gonna go now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Was gonna post about this myself!

He made his comments about folks kneeling during the anthem, and said he would never support disrespecting the flag of the USA.

Immediate backlash!

His own teammates followed by other NFL players around the league and some retired - all bashing him.

Today he released a statement of apology. But I don't think many of those upset with him will accept it. Many said they knew this about him already and what not, and folks burning his jersey already. Yikes! Gonna be a rough season in New Orleans for Drew!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1. Brees has nothing to apologize for.

2. I get tired of people apologizing after every unpopular thing they say. He meant what he said. Why walk away from it? Now everyone will hate him. The kneelers will hate him because they won't accept his apologies and the everyone else will hate him for caving. He's a sellout.

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

If I was a professional athlete, I would be conspicuous by my silence and refusal to comment on anything other than "We're going to win next week".

Reason #1: as BD states, it's lose/lose. Who needs the drama? Screw 'em.

Reason #2: As much as I have railed against it, it would be hypocritical of me to then use my access to the media to make political commentary when I'm being paid to play football, and my fans expect me to play football. If the fans want to hear political commentary, they can go find some political commentary on their favorite media outlet that is labeled "Political Commentary" (oddly enough).
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

He supports the American flag and the storied history it represents. He refuses to disrespect it in any way. And further stated he will never support disrespect to that flag.

In what other world is this is a bad thing? He says this 5 years ago and is a hero for saying it. Today, he's the baddest man in the NFL and many against him.

Some marked their calendars for when they play him, only telling me they plan on headhunting him as a result, some anyway.

If I were him I would take my massive bank account, all my records and rings, retire and kiss 'em all goodbye.

Timing is everything. People have their anger and frustration through the roof right now, and this was the wrong time to hear such comments.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    He supports the American flag and the storied history it represents. He refuses to disrespect it in any way. And further stated he will never support disrespect to that flag.

In what other world is this is a bad thing? He says this 5 years ago and is a hero for saying it. Today, he's the baddest man in the NFL and many against him.

Some marked their calendars for when they play him, only telling me they plan on headhunting him as a result, some anyway.

If I were him I would take my massive bank account, all my records and rings, retire and kiss 'em all goodbye.

Timing is everything. People have their anger and frustration through the roof right now, and this was the wrong time to hear such comments.
    Yikes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

I have no problem with his stance and am in complete agreement that respecting the flag and country and the ideals it represents shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. Had I said what he did, my ass I'd backpeddle even a word. Don't like it? Suck it up.

If he wants to make a statement? Show up before and after the game in an American flag shirt but refuse to comment on it. It speaks for itself.

My stance has not wavered: Don't like it here? Get the fuck out. I haven't seen a SINGLE person yet that's all about disrespecting the flag that I would miss if they were shipped to the ME and China.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes Black Diamond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    If I was a professional athlete, I would be conspicuous by my silence and refusal to comment on anything other than "We're going to win next week".

Reason #1: as BD states, it's lose/lose. Who needs the drama? Screw 'em.

Reason #2: As much as I have railed against it, it would be hypocritical of me to then use my access to the media to make political commentary when I'm being paid to play football, and my fans expect me to play football. If the fans want to hear political commentary, they can go find some political commentary on their favorite media outlet that is labeled "Political Commentary" (oddly enough).
    Of course, the latest mantra is, “White Silence is Violence”. They can’t win either way.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Of course, the latest mantra is, “White Silence is Violence”. They can’t win either way.
    Unless you (sometimes literally) kneel to blacks and recognize your white privilege.
    Last edited by Black Diamond; 06-04-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I don't have to win. The fact that I'm not bowing to their BS is the "win", if you want to call it that.

I wear the Colors all the time. Ball caps, shirts .... no one has ever said a word to me except the occasional "cool shirt" or "Where'd you get that?". Could be the ball cap with the USMC on it or my cheery-ass demeanor, but I would be more than happy to school anyone that dares say a damned word to me.

I don't hate the country for the stupid people it has provided opportunity to they couldn't get anywhere else in the World.

16. Thanks Kathianne, Black Diamond, Abbey Marie thanked this post