Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Former Marine Commandant Addresses The Murder and Riots

Smart man. What I notice about most of the writings and speeches from military leaders, as well as many law enforcement leaders is they talk much more about 'hearing' and 'compromise' and 'walking in another's shoes, than they do about fighting. Yes, even Marines, as Gunny has often pointed out to some of the 'manly men' here. They're not itching for a Civil War, perhaps because they really do know what it means.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/mari...r-george-floyd

Former Marine commandant on nationwide protests: 'The time for being silent has passed'
    PAUL SZOLDRAJUN 4, 2020 4:07 PM EDT

Former Marine Commandant Gen. Robert Neller has written an open letter urging all Americans to "stand up for what is right" in the wake of protests over the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police officers.

Neller, 67, who stepped down as the top Marine less than a year ago, published the letter on Wednesday to his LinkedIn account, which opened with a quote from Henry Longfellow, a popular 19th century American poet: "Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing, only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness; so on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another, only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence."

Neller confirmed the letter's authenticity to Task & Purpose on Thursday.

Neller wrote that he was deeply saddened after watching the video of Floyd, an unarmed black man who pleaded with officers that he was unable to breathe as one of them, Derek Chauvin, kept a knee on Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes before his death.

"I cannot get out my mind the lack of emotion on the faces of the officers as Mr. Floyd said repeatedly, 'I can’t breathe.' And all this transpiring while others called out for the officers to let him up, though none physically intervened," Neller wrote.

"At the same time, it is with some understanding but again sadness I watch the destruction of neighborhoods in our Nation as demonstrators, most local citizens, but including some professional agitators, express their anger and frustration over another killing of a black man by police that, to the great majority of Americans it was clear, did not have to die. At the same time some violate the law by attacking police, looting and burning businesses in their communities, many of which are unlikely to return or rebuild. You are justifiably angry."

So what do we do now? Neller asked, writing that Americans might wait for the protests to pass like Longfellow's ships in the night, or instead, "stand up for what is right and reasonable."

"The time for being silent has passed, at least for me," Neller wrote. Calling the aftermath of Floyd's death a "turning point for change," Neller offered his thoughts on the path forward with messages individually tailored toward white and black Americans, police officers, national political and cultural leaders, and racists, which he said were "on the wrong side of history."

To white Americans, Neller wrote that they may not be racially prejudiced, but "you have to try as best you can to understand the views of people of color who are just tired of the real injustices they live with every day." Ask them to tell you their stories, Neller suggested. "Listen and change."

Addressing black Americans, Neller said "your anger is understandable and justified," referencing black men having to die for "inexplicable reasons." Yet he urged peaceful protests while not letting others "take your message and turn it against you" in reference to those engaging in violence.

"The great majority of America hears and agrees with you," Neller wrote.

"You have a very difficult job," Neller wrote of law enforcement officers, asking them to continue doing their duty with professionalism and dedication. Though he said the great majority already do so, Neller asked that officers "don't stand there," but engage and weed out any misbehavior in their ranks.

"Don’t stand there…. Engage and stop it," Neller wrote. "You know who has these beliefs and attitudes in your force. You must get them to change or leave. Always use the minimum force to counter any threat. Stay safe out there. Protect and serve."

Neller also urged national political and cultural leaders to continue to speak out for justice and fairness, while chiding racists as "backwards."

"I accept that there is likely nothing that I can say to change your views but understand that this a Nation of laws and your views are not in compliance with same. You are on the wrong side of history. I pity you."

Neller closed with a call for unity, asking that we protect free speech and peaceful demonstration but not tolerate destruction of lives and property. What happened to George Floyd was not right, Neller wrote, adding that his death needs to count for something.

"We are better than this. Stand up for what is right," Neller wrote. "We can no longer be ships in the night and just move on. Love and protect your neighbor. Stay safe."

Neller is not the only current or former military general to share his views. A handful have spoken out in recent days, including two former chairmans of the Joint Chiefs. On Wednesday, former Defense Secretary James Mattis wrote that he was "angry and appalled" by the events of the last week, while urging Americans to unite without President Trump, since, Mattis wrote, he was "the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people."

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Gunny, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Smart man. What I notice about most of the writings and speeches from military leaders, as well as many law enforcement leaders is they talk much more about 'hearing' and 'compromise' and 'walking in another's shoes, than they do about fighting. Yes, even Marines, as Gunny has often pointed out to some of the 'manly men' here. They're not itching for a Civil War, perhaps because they really do know what it means.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/mari...r-george-floyd
    I understand what he is saying, but I do not agree with him. I see no reason to be any more conciliatory toward a wrongful black death than a wrongful white death. We don't burn down our cities. We let it go to court, as it should.

I also hear a Marine addressing Marines and totally out of his element addressing civilians.

If we want to destroy racism, we first have to destroy the myths of racism then deal with what it left. Which is not much. It's a divisive issue the left and MSM have kept a front page divider for decades. Too many people would be out of business if racism goes away.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I understand what he is saying, but I do not agree with him. I see no reason to be any more conciliatory toward a wrongful black death than a wrongful white death. We don't burn down our cities. We let it go to court, as it should.

I also hear a Marine addressing Marines and totally out of his element addressing civilians.

If we want to destroy racism, we first have to destroy the myths of racism then deal with what it left. Which is not much. It's a divisive issue the left and MSM have kept a front page divider for decades. Too many people would be out of business if racism goes away.
    I am struck by how much 2020 riots are like those of '68-'72, and yet how different. Bottom line is that great strides have been made to make the country more inclusive. There are plenty of black faces reflected in the 1%. Interracial marriage and kids is no longer taboo, in fact it is common. There are few 'lily white' suburbs anymore and those that are, are located in liberal bastions. The schools are integrated.

Now the protests back then, they were aimed at specifics-enforcement of voting rights, heck of the 13-15th amendments. Good schools, integrated schools. Ending redlining-yep, even then there were blacks that could afford the housing in the suburbs, which used the banks to keep them out. Also, living through encounters with police.

Now? There has been progress. Blacks, especially males, are still having to be careful in police interactions and sometimes even that won't save them. They do have voting rights, in some areas they are just as privileged as their white brothers in voting after death, as long as it's for the right party. Redlining is gone, for the most part. In rentals there's little discrimination, with the exception of bringing children with you, same as their white sisters.

Schools have gone down the tubes for all, I guess that's equality. Even good districts have been forced to teach to the lowest performers, which is not always minorities. To make things more equal, all kids not on honor or sped tracks are all on the same track. No tracking, the bright are bored; the struggling lost and standards are met by teachers pretending to teach to kids pretending to learn. For some reason, they are not testing the right things on standardized tests. But everyone knows about diversity; sexual orientation; and they are fed. Truly, those are what the schools should be focused on, it's their responsibility.

So much of this happened out of well meant legislation. Civil Rights was honorable, what happened as a result though was destruction of the black family, males became a handicap towards survival.

I don't think the commandant is saying to be conciliatory. I think he's saying it's past time for some honest discussion, which seems impossible to me at this time.

The white liberals are just so woke, like my best friend, they are longing for somewhere 'not so close to the city,' but with their brothers! She doesn't know how she sounds, it's like the old, 'Some of my best friends are . . .

Blacks need to hear, 'Your people, NOT YOUR GENERATION, have a rough history. Guess what? So have the Jews, the Poles, the Irish, any group that has been oppressed by a superior power. It sucks. Use what YOU have now.' Get to school and learn. Work hard. Prepare for success, now and for the future. YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM! That card was punched by your grandparents and they were more committed to success and many gave their lives so you wouldn't be. They marched when death was a real possibility, not scoring anything else of material value.

At the same time, we must acknowledge the very real grievances of the poor, of all races. Their schools, their infrastructure, their businesses, their prices for all goods, are not fair. Their politicians, mostly of one party, have done nothing in the years between to help them. They talk at election time and then go about enriching themselves.

Why others don't challenge that?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I am struck by how much 2020 riots are like those of '68-'72, and yet how different. Bottom line is that great strides have been made to make the country more inclusive. There are plenty of black faces reflected in the 1%. Interracial marriage and kids is no longer taboo, in fact it is common. There are few 'lily white' suburbs anymore and those that are, are located in liberal bastions. The schools are integrated.

Now the protests back then, they were aimed at specifics-enforcement of voting rights, heck of the 13-15th amendments. Good schools, integrated schools. Ending redlining-yep, even then there were blacks that could afford the housing in the suburbs, which used the banks to keep them out. Also, living through encounters with police.

Now? There has been progress. Blacks, especially males, are still having to be careful in police interactions and sometimes even that won't save them. They do have voting rights, in some areas they are just as privileged as their white brothers in voting after death, as long as it's for the right party. Redlining is gone, for the most part. In rentals there's little discrimination, with the exception of bringing children with you, same as their white sisters.

Schools have gone down the tubes for all, I guess that's equality. Even good districts have been forced to teach to the lowest performers, which is not always minorities. To make things more equal, all kids not on honor or sped tracks are all on the same track. No tracking, the bright are bored; the struggling lost and standards are met by teachers pretending to teach to kids pretending to learn. For some reason, they are not testing the right things on standardized tests. But everyone knows about diversity; sexual orientation; and they are fed. Truly, those are what the schools should be focused on, it's their responsibility.

So much of this happened out of well meant legislation. Civil Rights was honorable, what happened as a result though was destruction of the black family, males became a handicap towards survival.

I don't think the commandant is saying to be conciliatory. I think he's saying it's past time for some honest discussion, which seems impossible to me at this time.

The white liberals are just so woke, like my best friend, they are longing for somewhere 'not so close to the city,' but with their brothers! She doesn't know how she sounds, it's like the old, 'Some of my best friends are . . .

Blacks need to hear, 'Your people, NOT YOUR GENERATION, have a rough history. Guess what? So have the Jews, the Poles, the Irish, any group that has been oppressed by a superior power. It sucks. Use what YOU have now.' Get to school and learn. Work hard. Prepare for success, now and for the future. YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM! That card was punched by your grandparents and they were more committed to success and many gave their lives so you wouldn't be. They marched when death was a real possibility, not scoring anything else of material value.

At the same time, we must acknowledge the very real grievances of the poor, of all races. Their schools, their infrastructure, their businesses, their prices for all goods, are not fair. Their politicians, mostly of one party, have done nothing in the years between to help them. They talk at election time and then go about enriching themselves.

Why others don't challenge that?
    the voting thing cracked me up

Here's my point: None of what you just mentioned was allowed in the military from my father's time, never mind mine. We're talking about a General officer. They're insulated from the real world by they time they get 2 stars. They are also 95% politician and 5% Marine officer by then. There are Colonels breaking Marines' backs to keep bad news from the General every day.

I think he meant well. I just think he's a typical General officer.

Nice post, btw
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke