Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Thomas Sowell - The real history of slavery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Hot Dogger thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Far, far too much truth thus it will not be well received.
    Such is how the world operates and especially so in the USA, imho.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Thanks KarlMarx thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, KarlMarx liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I've read my fair share about slavery, U.S. and otherwise.
    I've read 2 other books by Sowell but not this one.
    And this video is 2-hours+ long. i listened to the 1st few minutes. So i'm guessing that his comments/question about why U.S./Euorpean slavery is so often referenced, brings such a rise and is so front of mind while current foreign slavery and other historical slavery is less of a concern... is what prompts the post and the likes?

If i could try and answer that.

I think there are a couple of reasons for it.
    One should be obvious, current Foreign and other historical slavery is FOREIGN and historical.
    while the the slavery we all know of happen in the U.S. and a larger percentage of one minority are direct and recent decedents of those slaves.
    and many of the mindsets and traditions of that slavery and it's passing linger in our current culture and systems.
    Seems to me that's primarily why.
    U.S. Slavery is a part of U.S. history ...and shouldn't (can't be) be erased... and at times is in fact relevant to current political events just as the great depression, WW1, Prohibition, WW2, and the cold war etc. all set the stage for certain current events.

He mentions that other horrors are not so narrowly defined.
    well you know when someone mentions "the civil war" most Americans don't think of the many hundreds of civil wars of the past, ongoing or foreign either. link.
    Most people probably couldn't name 3 correctly.
    And If you hear of a "civil war" reenactment you know they are talking about ONE thing and aren't talking about Rome or the Boxer rebellion.
    (---I mean, Why don't those civil war reenactment do all the other ones too! WHy just the U.S. civil war it was over 100 years ago ! forgetabout it Herumph!--- )

And I haven't heard many ..any... Ds or Rs complaining about Legal Slavery in foreign countries. When's the last time last time you folks heard Trump or Biden or any presidential candidate of the past 30 years mention anything about it? when was it part of a D or R party platform?
    Anyone here ever ask their congressman about it?

As far as other current illegal slavery going on in the U.S., yes, more people should be concerned. And there's been some action on both side of the political spectrum on "human trafficking"/Slavery. But situations like Jeffery Epstein make you wonder just how serious the efforts are.
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-07-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

6. Likes Kathianne liked this post