Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Catholic priest suspended for comparing BLM to 'maggots'

U.S.
    Catholic priest suspended for comparing BLM to 'maggots'
    Associated Press Associated Press•July 1, 2020226 Comments
    CARMEL, Ind. (AP) — A bishop suspended a suburban Indianapolis Catholic priest from public ministry on Wednesday for comparing the Black Lives Matter movement and its organizers to “maggots and parasites” in a recent church bulletin.

Bishop Timothy Doherty, of the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana, took the action against the Rev. Theodore Rothrock, of St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church in Carmel, for comments that the pastor wrote Sunday in the weekly bulletin.

“The only lives that matter are their own and the only power they seek is their own,” Rothrock wrote. “They are wolves in wolves clothing, masked thieves and bandits, seeking only to devour the life of the poor and profit from the fear of others. They are maggots and parasites at best, feeding off the isolation of addiction and broken families, and offering to replace any current frustration and anxiety with more misery and greater resentment.”

The diocese expressed “pastoral concern for the affected communities" in a statement posted on its website.

“The suspension offers the Bishop an opportunity for pastoral discernment for the good of the diocese and for the good of Father Rothrock. Various possibilities for his public continuation in priestly ministry are being considered, but he will no longer be assigned as Pastor of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. Deacon Bill Reid will serve as Administrator of St. Elizabeth Seton," the statement said.

Rothrock had been due to take over as pastor of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel next month.

Rothrock issued an apology Tuesday night in a message sent to parishioners and later posted on the church’s website, The Indianapolis Star reported.

“It was not my intention to offend anyone, and I am sorry that my words have caused any hurt to anyone," Rothrock wrote.

The church must condemn bigotry, which is “a part of the fabric of our society,” he wrote.

“We must also be fully aware that there are those who would distort the Gospel for their own misguided purposes,” Rothrock wrote. “People are afraid, as I pointed out, rather poorly I would admit, that there are those who feed on that fear to promote more fear and division.”

Doherty said Tuesday that Rothrock should issue a clarification of the bulletin comments.

The newly formed Carmel Against Racial Injustice group sought Rothrock's removal from leadership. The group has said it planned to demonstrate Sunday on the sidewalk surrounding the church. It wasn't clear Wednesday whether Rothrock's suspension changed that. The group didn't immediately reply to a message left Wednesday seeking comment about the suspension.

View reactions (226)
    Sign in to post a message.
    Catholic Priest In Indiana Suspended After Calling Black Lives Matter Protesters 'Maggots'
    HuffPost
    Carol Kuruvilla
    ,HuffPost•July 1, 20202,145 Comments

A Roman Catholic priest in Indiana was suspended from public ministry on Wednesday after calling Black Lives Matter organizers “maggots and parasites” in a message to his parishioners.

The Rev. Theodore Rothrock, who was assigned to St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church in Carmel, Indiana, was suspended after he wrote a fiery bulletin post on Sunday that disparaged Black Lives Matters organizers for protesting what Rothrock called “alleged systemic racism.” Bishop Timothy L. Doherty of the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana issued the suspension from public ministry in the diocese.

Rothrock’s article, “The lady (doth) protest too much, methinks,” conflated Black Lives Matter protesters with antifa, an umbrella term used for leftist militants. Rothrock said that Christians should promote peace and that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. wouldn’t support “throwing bombs or even marching in the streets.”

Black Lives Matter protesters are “serpents in the garden” whose “poison is more toxic than any pandemic we have endured,” Rothrock said.

“They are wolves in wolves clothing, masked thieves and bandits, seeking only to devour the life of the poor and profit from the fear of others,” Rothrock said of Black Lives Matter protesters. “They are maggots and parasites at best, feeding off the isolation of addiction and broken families, and offering to replace any current frustration and anxiety with more misery and greater resentment.”

Rothrock issued a “response and clarification” Wednesday, insisting that he didn’t intend to offend anyone and that he was sorry that his words had hurt people.

“However, we must also be fully aware that there are those who would distort the Gospel for their own misguided purposes,” Rothrock wrote in his apology letter. “People are afraid, as I pointed out, rather poorly I would admit, that there are those who feed on that fear to promote more fear and division.”
    Seems the most dangerous thing these days is speaking the truth.. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Sounds like a pretty good comparison to me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes icansayit, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Stupidity reins supreme....EVERYWHERE.

But everyone knows. At least 'maggots' are productive and never bother anyone unless they are allowed to mingle among common human beings.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

But if they rape kids they get promoted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    But everyone knows. At least 'maggots' are productive and never bother anyone unless they are allowed to mingle among common human beings.
    You have to kill them while they are white maggots. If you wait until they turn into black flies you are a genocidal racist
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-04-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Catholic priest suspended for comparing BLM to 'maggots'

How dare he insult maggots and parasites like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post