Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Death Penalty vs. Life in Prison

I have always been for the death penalty. I think it IS a deterrent and some are deserving. I see some that have raped many children and killed them. Serial killers. Those who have committed the most heinous of heinous crimes. I don't even want them breathing air, the same air that I breath in. They aren't deserving of a cell, to do anything that may bring them a smile. Nothing.

So assume they ever took it nationally off the table. or any other reason it's not available and you are presented with such people in society.

But for me better yet, I think I have evolved and changed my stance some over time. People like Jeffrey Epstein, able to kill himself instead of a trial and prison for life. Many others have taken the same route as him. Some actually beg to stop all appeals and get it over with. Many get it - and know what may be an "easier" route outta here.

So instead of the death penalty as we know it, I am proposing to have "Death penalty via prison" for such folks. This means that essentially you have been sentenced to death, but you will die all on your own in prison. And the system will treat you as such, to an extent that you are dead.

Not in any order, just a list of things I think they should use and apply to such prisoners. Perhaps in a special prison somewhere in the middle of nowhere, of course not advertised, as no need to know as those prisoners are essentially dead.

You get the same food until you are dead. No changes in meals, and solely enough to properly sustain life.
    For drinks, you get water only, ever. Flavor is a privilege, you are dead.
    No more medicines. Only if it's needed to sustain life.
    No psychiatry or other treatment, not necessary to function in a 10x6 cell, where you stare and think.
    30 mins daily weekly of sunlight and exercise, within a cell. Perhaps open a neighboring cell with sunlight for 30, or a sliding roof to give off light for 30.
    No interactions. All through sliding into your door. Maybe a couple of minutes per year to check your health.
    Issue 2 pairs of clothing to be cared for by prisoner.
    Nothing personal in cell, no tv and no books.
    No dining halls, no workout rooms, no tv rooms or social rooms at all - stay in cells but for that 30mins of sunlight time.
    No jobs to work.
    As no commissary for these prisoners ever.
    No music or Ipods like other places, ever.
    No education or GED or anything like that. You are dead, you will not need rehabilitation.
    You can have a window - only if it stares at another wall or bars. Imagine what you see.
    No privacy ever - they don't have the right to it, and to ensure they stay alive.
    No calls or meetings with lawyer. You are dead. Not even family visits, ever.

So yeah, maybe I can do without the death penalty for the worst of societies scumbags. Pass something to allow this and I will happily see them get prison for life instead of capital punishment.

Signed, Warden Jim
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

There's a place called Devil's Island suited to your needs
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    There's a place called Devil's Island suited to your needs
    Oooh, I may be interested here, tell me more?

Is it the same place I think some refer to as snake island? Where there is a poisonous snake like every square foot of the island or something like that, and they're all highly venomous! That may be a good alternative, so long as cameras everywhere.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'm still death penalty advocate. I have brother in jail for 3 consecutive life sentences. He should be dead. He doesn't deserve any of that stuff you advocated for.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I'm still death penalty advocate. I have brother in jail for 3 consecutive life sentences. He should be dead. He doesn't deserve any of that stuff you advocated for.
    I've really only advocated for a 10x6. Water, because it will keep them alive in their cage. Food, but not for enjoyment, simply create something to keep alive. The idea of anything given to them - is solely about keep them alive, so they can suffer in a 10x6 as if they were the living dead. The rest of the things mentioned are things other prisoners may get, that these prisoners will NOT get.

So only keep them alive, but they are dead. No contact in either direction, ever. No one. They are dead, but only alive to suffer in that 10x6.

Some people should be dead. But there are places that forbid that. Or for whatever reason it fails at trial and not an option at sentencing. Even now, folks sentenced to multiple lifes in jail and without any possibility of parole - STILL get things in jail, as if they have rights or privileges. From medication, to various foods, to enjoyment from several sources, computer access, TV's, jobs in prison, a commissary to buy crap at & so much more. This all makes such a sentence a 'little' more bearable. And then some even somehow smuggle in telephones, drugs and more. So they make a little happiness while in there.

With this sentence, that all changes. It ALL goes away. They no longer exist. You may know they are still alive somewhere and breathing, but would also know that this person is wishing they got the death sentence AND applied already, probably 24 times a day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The death penalty is just great until one finds himself unjustly hung for a crime he didn't commit, it could happen to you or me. As a matter of fact, the nation's jails and prisons are full of innocent men suffering unjustly, so I'm against the death penalty. And I believe that state incarceration should be really nice, with buffet meals and fun educational stuff like wood shop, because like I said, if I end up in one as an innocent man, I'd like the experience to be a pleasant one. Besides, the very idea of state inflicted punishment is a failed and failing ideology, it'll soon be replaced by something more efficient and beneficial to all, like some sort of massive surveillance network with corrective drones that shoot you with laser beams when you screw up.
    Last edited by Hot Dogger; 07-09-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Dogger View Post
    The death penalty is just great until one finds himself unjustly hung for a crime he didn't commit, it could happen to you or me. As a matter of fact, the nation's jails and prisons are full of innocent men suffering unjustly, so I'm against the death penalty. And I believe that state incarceration should be really nice, with buffet meals and fun educational stuff like wood shop, because like I said, if I end up in one as an innocent man, I'd like the experience to be a pleasant one. Besides, the very idea of state inflicted punishment is a failed and failing ideology, it'll soon be replaced by something more efficient and beneficial to all, like some sort of massive surveillance network with corrective drones that shoot you with laser beams when you screw up.
    Certifiable.

11. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I've really only advocated for a 10x6. Water, because it will keep them alive in their cage. Food, but not for enjoyment, simply create something to keep alive. The idea of anything given to them - is solely about keep them alive, so they can suffer in a 10x6 as if they were the living dead. The rest of the things mentioned are things other prisoners may get, that these prisoners will NOT get.

So only keep them alive, but they are dead. No contact in either direction, ever. No one. They are dead, but only alive to suffer in that 10x6.

Some people should be dead. But there are places that forbid that. Or for whatever reason it fails at trial and not an option at sentencing. Even now, folks sentenced to multiple lifes in jail and without any possibility of parole - STILL get things in jail, as if they have rights or privileges. From medication, to various foods, to enjoyment from several sources, computer access, TV's, jobs in prison, a commissary to buy crap at & so much more. This all makes such a sentence a 'little' more bearable. And then some even somehow smuggle in telephones, drugs and more. So they make a little happiness while in there.

With this sentence, that all changes. It ALL goes away. They no longer exist. You may know they are still alive somewhere and breathing, but would also know that this person is wishing they got the death sentence AND applied already, probably 24 times a day.
    I understand your point Jim, but why should the taxpayer provide even meals, clothes, roof over their head when the victims and their families still wonder if laws will change someday and they are allowed to get out. Save taxpayer money, let families move on without that possibility hanging over their head.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oooh, I may be interested here, tell me more?

Is it the same place I think some refer to as snake island? Where there is a poisonous snake like every square foot of the island or something like that, and they're all highly venomous! That may be a good alternative, so long as cameras everywhere.
    You wouldn't even have to ship them far from their current locale. French Guyana, or whatever it is now, is on the South American coast.

It was a French penal colony back in the day. South American jungle/rain forest. Lots of things that bite, sting and/or will eat you. Good for malaria too. Tropical Hell.

The novel/movie Papillon is based on Henri Cherierre's incarceration there.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    In all seriousness, IF there is ZERO doubt of guilt, I'm fine with the death penalty. Was it me, I'd rather be dead than life in prison. It's like life in the US is turning into, only worse.

There is NO point to life without parole as opposed to the death penalty, IMO. Only for those who are actually innocent to have a chance to prove it. Otherwise, nobody's really doing anyone any favors by keeping human beings locked in cages like animals.
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-09-2020 at 05:10 PM.