Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default One for those that do not like snakes!

World
    'More than one million' died of snake bites in India
    BBCJuly 8, 2020, 4:26 AM
    An estimated 1.2 million people have died from snake bites in India in the past 20 years, a new study has found.

Nearly half of the victims were between 30 and 69 years old, and a quarter of them were children, the study says.

Russell's vipers, kraits and cobras were responsible for most deaths. The remaining deaths were caused by at least 12 other species of snakes.

So many of the attacks proved fatal because they happened in areas without swift access to medical care.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Half of the deaths occurred in the monsoon season between June and September, when snakes are known to come out. And most victims were bitten in the legs.

The study, published in the open access journal eLife, was conducted by leading Indian and international experts. It's based on data collected from India's ambitious Million Death Study.

Russell's viper, a generally aggressive snake, is widespread across India and South Asia. It feeds on rodents and so is often found near human settlements, both in urban and rural areas.

There are different kinds of Indian krait, a venomous species found in the subcontinent.
    There are different kinds of Indian krait, a venomous species found in the subcontinent.
    The Indian krait is normally docile during the day, but becomes belligerent at night. It can grow up to 1.75m (5ft 9in) in length.

The Indian cobra typically attacks after dark and causes internal bleeding, which requires immediate medical attention.

Why are so many people dying from snake bites?

Snake bites are now a global health priority, says WHO

The Indian tribesmen catching giant snakes in Florida

The study also found that between 2001 and 2014, some 70% of the snake bite deaths occurred in eight states - Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh (including Telangana, a new state) Rajasthan and Gujarat.

The average risk of an Indian dying from snake bite before reaching 70 years is approximately 1 in 250, but in some areas the risk approaches 1 in 100, the study says.

The researchers say farming communities living in villages carried the highest risk to snake bites during the monsoon season.

The data was last updated in 2019
    The data was last updated in 2019
    They said these areas should be targeted "with education about simple methods" - 'snake-safe' harvesting practices, wearing rubber boots and gloves and using torches - to reduce risk.

Snake bites are now a "global health priority" according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

The WHO says complications linked to attacks make the phenomenon one of the most neglected tropical diseases.

Between 81,000 and 138,000 people are killed by snake bites each year globally, it says. About three times that number survive and are left with permanent disabilities.
    When I was a kid we hunted poisonous snakes. We took a 22 caliber rifle and each took turns shooting any poisonous snake we could find.
    Winner was whomever killed the most. Being the much better hot, I always won, my older brother often gave me a good punch in the face for that.
    Claiming because it was because of my smirk and my attitude for having gotten lucky- to which Id say -yep I am lucky every damn time!
    I guess that Ive slain a couple hundred poisonous snakes. They made for great target practice back in the 60's early 70's.... -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Cobras are extremely venomous. More so than our rattlesnakes I believe.

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Cobras are extremely venomous. More so than our rattlesnakes I believe.
    The rattlesnake is listed as number ten on the world deadliest snakes.. 9 other snakes are more deadly , with some far far far far more deadly. Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

So far this year I've only seen 3 snakes. Two rattlesnakes and one coachwhip. I caught one of the rattlesnakes and took him about half mile south of my place and dumped him in a packrat nest. Used to kill them but decided to use them to help keep rat population down.

The one I caught was under flower pot out front and when I moved it found him. He must have just ate because didn't coil up or rattle until I put him in the bucket. The other was crossing my path when we were hiking on property. We just avoided each other. Had my gun out but he keep moving and didn't coil.

The coachwhip was in one of our rat bait boxes so we just left him alone. They're not poisonous.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

8. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post