Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Goya Chief Executive Sparks Backlash Over Praise For Trump

July 11, 2020
    By Steve Gorman
    (Reuters) – Goya Foods Inc, the largest Hispanic-owned U.S. food company and a popular brand among Latino Americans, became the target of a boycott campaign on social media on Friday sparked by its CEO effusively praising President Donald Trump at the White House.
    The hashtags #Goyaway and #BoycottGoya began trending on Twitter after Robert Unanue, chief executive officer of the New Jersey-based company, appeared with Trump on Thursday for the signing of an executive order creating an advisory panel aimed at spurring Hispanic prosperity.

“We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder, and that’s what my grandfather did,” said Unanue, the third generation of his family to run the business. “We pray for our leadership, our president, and we pray for our country that we will continue to prosper and to grow.”
    The event at the White House came as Trump’s re-election campaign sought to boost his standing among members of a key constituency who have often felt alienated by his policies and political rhetoric.
    Reuters/Ipsos national polling shows only about a quarter of registered Hispanic voters chose Trump in a matchup with his Democratic rival, former vice president Joe Biden.
    Among those in the forefront of calls for a boycott were two leading Hispanic politicians in the Democratic Party – former presidential candidate Julian Castro and U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.
    Castro wrote on Twitter that Goya had been a staple of many Latino households for generations.
    “Now their CEO, Bob Unanue, is praising a president who villainizes and maliciously attacks Latinos for political gain,” he said. “Americans should think twice before buying their produces.”
    Ocasio-Cortez suggested to her 7.5 million followers on Twitter that they find homemade alternatives to Goya’s popular Adobo seasoning.
    United We Dream, an immigrant youth-led social action group, launched an online boycott petition that said Unanue had “aligned the Goya brand with Trump’s white supremacist agenda.”
    “If Goya wants our business, they must respect and fight for our humanity,” the group said.
    Unanue defended his comments, however, and said on Friday that the calls for a boycott of the company amounted to an attack on his freedom of speech.
    “I’m not apologizing,” he told Fox News. “When you’re called by the president of the United States, you’re going to say, ‘No, I’m sorry, I’m busy, no thank you?’ I didn’t say that to the Obamas and I didn’t say that to President Trump.”
    Separately on Fox News, White House adviser Kellyanne Conway decried the controversy. “It’s just a shame that people make everything so politicized, including food,” she said.
    Countering online calls for a boycott was the emergence of the #BuyGoya” hashtag, which drew the likes of Hollywood actor James Woods, who praised Unanue for setting “a good example in the fight against liberal terrorism.”
    U.S. Senator Ted Cruz said on Twitter that his grandparents ate Goya black beans twice a day for nearly 90 years. “And now the Left is trying to cancel Hispanic culture and silence free speech,” the Texas Republican said.
    Politically motivated calls for economic boycotts have become commonplace on social media in recent years, with mixed results.
    It was too soon to tell whether the anti-Goya campaign would generate enough support to damage the bottom line of a privately owned company that ranks among the leading distributors of packaged Latino foods in the United States, Europe and the Caribbean.
    Trump himself weighed in on the dispute late on Friday, writing on Twitter simply: “I LOVE @GoyaFoods!”
    (Reporting by Steve Gorman in Eureka, Calif.; Additional reporting by Richa Naidu in Chicago; Editing by Daniel Wallis)
    So much for being a minority. You have to be the "right kind of minority" or AOC and her Marxists will come after you for not doing things their way. Tyranny of the minority and it's working well so far.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Goya Chief Executive Sparks Backlash Over Praise For Trump

Just for that, I am buying Goya products for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

If Hispanics actually paid attention to what has been done for them and TO them and by who, instead of voting for who 'Grandpa and Daddy voted for", they'd walk on the Dems.

Further, I have always believed it would not be hard for Republicans to swing the Hispanic, at least the Mexican, vote their way if they'd just put some effort into it and try some diplomacy instead of a blanket wall with no diplomacy. Most Hispanics around here are blue collar, agriculture and small, family business oriented. Isn't that the crowd the GOP claims to represent?
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-11-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    If Hispanics actually paid attention to what has been done for them and TO them and by who, instead of voting for who 'Grandpa and Daddy voted for", they'd walk on the Dems.

Further, I have always believed it would not be hard for Republicans to swing the Hispanic, at the Mexican, vote their way if they'd just put some effort into it and try some diplomacy instead of a blanket wall with no diplomacy. Most Hispanics around here are blue collar, agriculture and small, family business oriented. Isn't that the crowd the GOP claims to represent?
    Yep, I've always said the same. GOP 'values' prior to Trump at least, have always been very close to Hispanic culture. Actually same with traditional black family culture, for those not into welfare/victim cycle. The only real difference between black traditional and GOP family values, would be the importance of legal marriage, common law more prevalent in black, vestige of slavery.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yep, I've always said the same. GOP 'values' prior to Trump at least, have always been very close to Hispanic culture. Actually same with traditional black family culture, for those not into welfare/victim cycle. The only real difference between black traditional and GOP family values, would be the importance of legal marriage, common law more prevalent in black, vestige of slavery.
    Just another lost opportunity by "the Impotence Party".

9. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

We're you guys just boycotting Nike?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    We're you guys just boycotting Nike?
    I don't have ANY idea why, but I'm going to ask anyway because I am sure someone out there besides me is just curious as to WTH boycotting Nike has to do with Goya foods?

If you are attempting to compare boycotting a company that has a divisive, unamerican POS fronting it's slave labor operations in Indonesia and Vietnam with an American company that manufactures and distributes Hispanic foods in the US ...

You have once again fallen short, Pete.

12. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't have ANY idea why, but I'm going to ask anyway because I am sure someone out there besides me is just curious as to WTH boycotting Nike has to do with Goya foods?

If you are attempting to compare boycotting a company that has a divisive, unamerican POS fronting it's slave labor operations in Indonesia and Vietnam with an American company that manufactures and distributes Hispanic foods in the US ...

You have once again fallen short, Pete.
    You know what, I don't trust your statistics, I prefer my own experience.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    You know what, I don't trust your statistics, I prefer my own experience.
    I'm just shaking my head now, Pete. This is one seriously desperate grasping at air you're taking on a run.

I presented no statistics. Just facts available in the public domain to anyone that read them

15. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post