Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Default Jeep Punches Back......

`Jeep introduces new Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept with the 6.4-litre V8 engine that makes 450 horsepower.

That engine is mated to an 8 speed automatic transmission that makes it good for a 0-60 time of less than five seconds..

Not paid much attention to the Ford Bronco that’s being officially revealed later tonight? Well then, you probably should. As it appears, even before its launch, the Bronco has managed to get the venerable Jeep a bit nervous! It was just yesterday that FCA’s legendary off-road brand teased a 392 Hemi powered Jeep, via a sketch.

Today, just hours before Ford’s big reveal, Jeep has released images of a Wrangler powered by a 6.4-litre V8 engine with 392 cubic inches of displacement that’s good for 450 horsepower and 600Nm of torque and a 0-100kph time of less than five seconds.

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept features Dana 44 axles, full-time two-speed transfer case, electric front- and rear-axle lockers, 37-inch mud-terrain tyres and a Jeep Performance Parts two-inch factory lift kit. Jeep says the eight-speed transmission, massive low-end torque and 3.73 gear ratio will combine to deliver good on-road performance and even better off-road capability than stock Wranglers.

`
    https://gulfnews.com/auto/news/jeep-....1594664019331

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I believe the Bronco reveal was Monday...

I want the Bronco. I never sat in a Jeep that had enough leg room.

Edit: Yep, your linked article is dated July 13.
    Last edited by hjmick; 07-15-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

3. Thanks Gunny, NightTrain, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Full time 4x4? What a stupid idea. That thing is going to get 10 mpg at best with that Hemi.

We have a Jeep Compass, and it's a really nice rig with a 9-speed tranny getting 30 mpg average - pretty great for an SUV. However, since Fiat bought Chrysler/Jeep, the longevity of the components is plummeting.

Right about 20k miles, the engine started eating oil... I suspect a stuck or broken ring, so they replaced the whole engine. I went down and picked it up, and it wouldn't go into drive - it was hung somewhere in neutral. I got it to go into drive by thumping the selector, but that wasn't right. It's all fly-by-wire these days, so it wasn't a maladjusted cable.

They couldn't figure it out, because it was an intermittent problem - but the code it was generating was telling the mechanics to change out the tranny. They scheduled it, and Corporate came back nixing that idea and instead installed a suite of new sensors to the tranny. Still happened occasionally, took it back, mechanics couldn't figure it out or duplicate it. Weirdly, it hasn't happened in the last couple of months, so maybe that gremlin sorted itself out.... but my experience with self-healing inanimate objects is right about zero success rate, it's only waiting for a most inopportune time to manifest itself with a vengeance.

Then about a month ago, the wife and I drove to Fairbanks mostly for the hell of it, to get out of the house. For some reason I selected the Nav system, and it showed us about 400 miles West of our actual position, doing laps in the middle of a large lake. We drove North another 200 miles before reaching Fairbanks, and the Nav system had us in the same lake, going in circles. I tried resetting the computer by doing the old-school 3 tight turns left/3 tight turns right but no joy. The next day we drove back home, and this time the Nav showed us 100 miles East of the highway doing circles out in the middle of nowhere.

That Nav system is part of the entire electronics suite of the Jeep. It controls everything except the driver controls. It can't be fixed, so they're going to rip that dash apart and put in a whole new cluster... one of them said that's worth $6k just for the unit, not counting the considerable amount of labor to swap it out. That also might explain why it always thinks that both FOB batteries are low.

It's sad to see an American company being driven into the ground (!)... I really hope Fiat gets their shit together or better yet, selling Chrysler/Jeep back to Americans. Italy makes Ferrari and Lamborghini, but neither are known for their reliability. Fiat has always been a joke in that regard, too.

Instead of worrying about what Ford is doing, I think they'd be wise to fix their existing issues, of which there are many. I'm fed up with it.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

5. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

".....Unlike the Wrangler, the New Bronco's Doors Fit in the Trunk"

Driving your 4x4 with the doors off is a joy on a sunny day. Less so if you get caught in a sudden downpour.

For years, Jeep Wrangler owners have faced a daily gamble: Leave the doors at home and risk a drippy drive, or forego the exhilaration of doors-off cruising.

That's because you can't carry all four doors in the trunk of a Wrangler.

The all-new 2021 Ford Bronco solves this, with four removable doors that fit perfectly inside the trunk.

Now you can go from doors on to doors off whenever and wherever you like.

An optional package, shown above, includes protective bags that you can slip over the doors to keep them from getting scratched, but all four-door Broncos come standard with tie-downs in the trunk to hold the doors in place.

The Bronco also has another nifty feature not found on the Wrangler: The side-view mirrors are mounted to the base of the windshield, not to the doors. That means you won't lose the use of your mirrors if you decide to go door-free."

And removal should be pretty quick: That same spokesperson told us that Ford estimates the average person can get the doors off the Bronco in about half the time it takes on the Wrangler...

"One other nifty door detail: The two-door Bronco uses unique doors that are longer than the front doors on the four-door model. (Jeep uses the same front doors on two-door and four-door Wranglers as well as Gladiator pickup models.) The longer doors make for easier access to the back seat, and give the two-door Bronco a more proportional look"

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/unlike-w...200700325.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

As I said in the other thread, I'd prefer a '67 Bronco. I'll take a '67 Jeep CJ-5 as well. They're BOTH made to go 4-wheeling and are actual, UTILITY vehicles. Worst thing that could happen to them was yuppies wanting to look cool in them, but their little tushes were not comfy SUV's are nothing but cars where it counts anymore, and they fold up like tinfoil as fast and easy as cars too.

IH-10 Scout II is MY idea of going out in the desert for a romp.

I don't like the 4-door Jeeps. When I said I was pondering one if and when I need a replacement, I meant a 2 door. Preferably used for cash. Then I can finance the amount it takes to turn it into a decent off roader
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Full time 4x4? What a stupid idea. That thing is going to get 10 mpg at best with that Hemi.

We have a Jeep Compass, and it's a really nice rig with a 9-speed tranny getting 30 mpg average - pretty great for an SUV. However, since Fiat bought Chrysler/Jeep, the longevity of the components is plummeting.

Right about 20k miles, the engine started eating oil... I suspect a stuck or broken ring, so they replaced the whole engine. I went down and picked it up, and it wouldn't go into drive - it was hung somewhere in neutral. I got it to go into drive by thumping the selector, but that wasn't right. It's all fly-by-wire these days, so it wasn't a maladjusted cable.

They couldn't figure it out, because it was an intermittent problem - but the code it was generating was telling the mechanics to change out the tranny. They scheduled it, and Corporate came back nixing that idea and instead installed a suite of new sensors to the tranny. Still happened occasionally, took it back, mechanics couldn't figure it out or duplicate it. Weirdly, it hasn't happened in the last couple of months, so maybe that gremlin sorted itself out.... but my experience with self-healing inanimate objects is right about zero success rate, it's only waiting for a most inopportune time to manifest itself with a vengeance.

Then about a month ago, the wife and I drove to Fairbanks mostly for the hell of it, to get out of the house. For some reason I selected the Nav system, and it showed us about 400 miles West of our actual position, doing laps in the middle of a large lake. We drove North another 200 miles before reaching Fairbanks, and the Nav system had us in the same lake, going in circles. I tried resetting the computer by doing the old-school 3 tight turns left/3 tight turns right but no joy. The next day we drove back home, and this time the Nav showed us 100 miles East of the highway doing circles out in the middle of nowhere.

That Nav system is part of the entire electronics suite of the Jeep. It controls everything except the driver controls. It can't be fixed, so they're going to rip that dash apart and put in a whole new cluster... one of them said that's worth $6k just for the unit, not counting the considerable amount of labor to swap it out. That also might explain why it always thinks that both FOB batteries are low.

It's sad to see an American company being driven into the ground (!)... I really hope Fiat gets their shit together or better yet, selling Chrysler/Jeep back to Americans. Italy makes Ferrari and Lamborghini, but neither are known for their reliability. Fiat has always been a joke in that regard, too.

Instead of worrying about what Ford is doing, I think they'd be wise to fix their existing issues, of which there are many. I'm fed up with it.
    Our daughter has a Compass. About 2 years in, the screen developed big, obscuring stripes. They are ripping it out and are replacing the entire thing. They decided this immediately upon seeing it, so I suspect she’s not the first one to show up with this problem. Other than that, she likes the car.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

10. Likes NightTrain, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Our daughter has a Compass. About 2 years in, the screen developed big, obscuring stripes. They are ripping it out and are replacing the entire thing. They decided this immediately upon seeing it, so I suspect she’s not the first one to show up with this problem. Other than that, she likes the car.
    Yeah, that console cluster can't be repaired... that's a pretty big mistake to engineer it like that. A modular design to replace different components would have saved Fiat millions - Google is loaded with complaints about that.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

12. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, LongTermGuy liked this post