Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default So woke to this today

So I wake up, go downstairs to get a cup of coffee like 3 seconds later. Since the coffee machine is near the kitchen window, I couldn't help but take a glance outside. Usually finding the wifey and dog out there sitting in the sun. This time my yard looked new, we got ourselves a new tree!

Damn storm and then the yard behind us and to the right, their tree fell and came across our neighbors lawn and looks like it may have destroyed a new maple tree they put in a few years back. Then went across our fence and 10 feet or so into our yard. But it's also about 15' wide of fence it took with it. It turned the top bar across into a V shape, destroyed one of the railings, and that 15 foot section is crushed. All going to need replacing.

Thing is, if we replace with the same black chain link we have now, will it match with the older? I don't know for sure just how much more cost it may lead to.

So waiting on insurance company to do a review and document for starters. Then clean up time. And all responsible for the cleanup on their own property. No negligence here and just an act of God in insurance terms and liability. So then we have to have someone come out and cut and remove all the dang tree. Then onto the fencing and replacement. Hopefully our homeowners insurance will cover it, but we do have a deductible first.

Doesn't look too bad from upstairs room... all covered by the green leafy stuff. But trust me, underneath the fencing is crushed.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Doesn't seem so bad from a distance. Not even horrid up near it. But trust me, the damage is underneath and hidden.

In the yard and closer up

You can see the railing and cross bar much better in this one

And much better here

The rest of the damage is under this mess. Between the tree, the branches, and Ivy and all the crap it brought with it. Once tree removal is done will have a better idea of underneath.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sorry, Jim. All things considered, could have been much worse with a bigger tree. I live in fear of of one of our huge uphill trees falling on our house every time there’s a storm. We’ve had three trees or big branches fall on our roof so far.
    I’m so tired of it.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

5. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@jimnyc @Abbey

Having done insurance for a few years, trees are the bane of homeowners. As Jim said, 'Act of God,' thus it would be rare they'd be covered.

To compound the issue between insurance and policy holders, our insured is responsible for destruction on own property, plus tree removal of neighbor's tree. Ugly.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Sorry, Jim. All things considered, could have been much worse with a bigger tree. I live in fear of of one of our huge uphill trees falling on our house every time there’s a storm. We’ve had three trees or big branches fall on our roof so far.
    I’m so tired of it.
    Yups, we have a few trees out towards the front of neighbors homes, but in that area behind us there are like 7 trees, that if ever fell, would do some damage! This was nothing all things considered!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    @jimnyc @Abbey

Having done insurance for a few years, trees are the bane of homeowners. As Jim said, 'Act of God,' thus it would be rare they'd be covered.

To compound the issue between insurance and policy holders, our insured is responsible for destruction on own property, plus tree removal of neighbor's tree. Ugly.
    Yup, it sucks. The cleanup is all on us and likely won't be cheap to cut around it and haul away, but not horrible. Insurance may be helping us with the cost of the fencing/replacement/labor - but I can almost guarantee you that it will be lower than our deductible. So likely that on us as well.

I can vouch for the costs as when we had the entire job done it was well over $2,000. That though was for 3 lengths of the yard, maybe 10-12 fence posts and caps, corners & 2 gates. This is anywhere from 20' to the entire one side at worst. But will still be 2 posts likely and caps, a 21' top rail & the chain link fencing repair or replacement. From the looks of it, replacement may be for the best. - My initial guess will be about $500-$700.

Could be WAY off base and I usually am!

9. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yups, we have a few trees out towards the front of neighbors homes, but in that area behind us there are like 7 trees, that if ever fell, would do some damage! This was nothing all things considered!

Yup, it sucks. The cleanup is all on us and likely won't be cheap to cut around it and haul away, but not horrible. Insurance may be helping us with the cost of the fencing/replacement/labor - but I can almost guarantee you that it will be lower than our deductible. So likely that on us as well.

I can vouch for the costs as when we had the entire job done it was well over $2,000. That though was for 3 lengths of the yard, maybe 10-12 fence posts and caps, corners & 2 gates. This is anywhere from 20' to the entire one side at worst. But will still be 2 posts likely and caps, a 21' top rail & the chain link fencing repair or replacement. From the looks of it, replacement may be for the best. - My initial guess will be about $500-$700.

Could be WAY off base and I usually am!
    @jimnyc

Some info, it's 'good' that your fence was damage. Eek!

https://www.consumerreports.org/home...or-the-damage/

11. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So, off Jim's yard and back to what's really important, me in AZ! LOL! Ducey wore mask for the first time I've noticed. Nothing on schools, currently set to open on pushed back date of 8/17:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...W4oe-he-yjz6CQ

Gov. Doug Ducey extends closures of Arizona bars, gyms, water parks indefinitely
    By: Josh Frigerio

Posted at 3:47 PM, Jul 23, 2020
    and last updated 4:55 PM, Jul 23, 2020

PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced Thursday that he would extend his executive order that forced bars, gyms, movie theaters, fitness centers, water parks, and tubing operators across the state to close.

The initial order was issued in June amid an uptick in COVID-19 cases and was set to expire on Monday, July 27. Under the new order, the closures are in place indefinitely and will the order will be reviewed every two weeks for repeal or revision.
    The order also extends the limit on social gatherings of more than 50 people and suspends the issuance of special event permits.

Gov. Ducey said during his weekly press conference that some of the state's COVID-19 metrics were trending downward, but said that it was not the time for Arizonans to let up.

"You are safer at home," Gov. Ducey said. "Regardless of the information I am going to be able to share today, coronavirus is with us today and going forward. It's highly contagious and it's in every part of our state. And you really help Arizona when you are at home at this point in the pandemic."

Under the order, bars with a series 6 or 7 license, which primarily applies to traditional bars and wine bars, have to close. They can, however, remain open for takeout, carry-out, or delivery.

As per another executive order, Gov. Ducey has also limited restaurant dining rooms to 50% or less, in an effort to try and limit social gatherings and the spread of COVID-19.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

With a bit of digging, found he just didn't include 'education' in news conference, rather went through Department of Education. Still sticking with the date, but backing off the 'in school only model':

azgovernor.gov/governor/news/2020/07/governor-ducey-announces-additional-dollars-flexibility-and-clarity-arizona?fbclid=IwAR0NvuxRH5EN5shYHmfa9_hV1rLHrkCuF 3QFzQsc19_4fYxw64i89XChnSc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Damn, MAJOR kudos to Allstate once again!

Most have horror stories, but I mostly love Allstate for insurance!

Only issue I ever had was back in like 2000/2001 and our basement flooded severely. Lost our washer and dryer, hot water heater, and spare refrigerator. The fridge floated on by me when I went down the stairs! LOL And it was filled with food and freezer items too. They didn't cover it. I don't remember the exact reasoning. Whatever it was, we then added it to our policy due to how our house is situated and future flooding. Then I set aside my old fridge and dryer. Washer was given away to metal junk collector. Next time it flooded - lo and behold, there goes my fridge floating on by again and lost my dryer in the flood. Wink Wink.

Anyway, back to today...

We called yesterday and the gent was calling back to make an appointment, and was to come out today to look at the damage. We initially "may" have increased the length needing replacing due to the damage, as quite frankly I don't know just how bad until the tree is removed.

So the investigator calls again today. Tells my wife that we have a $500 deductible - so they are covering the damage and cleanup/removal at $2200 dollars so only giving us $1700. AND that it's already been direct deposited into our account!! Dang, now THAT is fast and great service! And he also said, if it turns out to be more for the removal/repair, to call him and they will adjust it!

So now onto removal and waiting a callback or 2 on quotes. Most likely go with our regular landscaper - just chainsaw it up and remove.

15. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post