Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Migraine medication

Does anyone here take any medications for headaches? At least medicantions outside of the typical over the counter stuff?

I was prescribed Imitrex aka Sumatriptan about a month ago or so. It's quite quick acting as a nasal spray.

Here's the issue - the prescriptions come with a box full of the medication - but it's just 6 dosages inside, each it's individual own one time use spray. But it's $284 for those doses!! With insurance!!

And now I need a refill already. Yep, used all 6 already. 2 times I had to take multiple dosages over a 2 hour period which is allowed. Then 2 other headaches. Good news is that those 3 times it eventually beat the migraine. One time was within 20 minutes.

But I read of a few that you can get with syringes as well. Not a huge fan of needles but would gladly stab myself when I have a migraine if it works.

So looking around for better medications if possible, and more reasonably priced.

Who else gets them? How often? How bad are they? What have you taken for them, and what works for you?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So used up 2 boxes of the Sumatriptan and just finished up with Doc and 2 more refills. So I'm good for 8-12 headaches depending on how it works. Expensive but well worth it for now.

I checked out the injections and they come in a cool little case but with only 2 dosages in it. And the dosage size is 6mg compared to 20mg for the nasal spray. Hell, I need the peace of mind knowing I have the dosages without having to keep seeing the Doc, and the dosage amount wipes it out. They say the injection is felt within a minute and headache gone in 5-10, but I'm not seeing the doc every month.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I take Razatriptan for fast acting relief, they gave me topiramate as a daily. But I didn't like topiramate. I have indomethacin for the really bad ones to take the pain down.
    I did find out that my broken sinus and nose was a huge contributing factor to the intense long term migraine. Getting that fixed was the best thing that has happened all year.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

6. Thanks Kathianne, jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, LongTermGuy, Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NT'sGirl View Post
    I take Razatriptan for fast acting relief, they gave me topiramate as a daily. But I didn't like topiramate. I have indomethacin for the really bad ones to take the pain down.
    I did find out that my broken sinus and nose was a huge contributing factor to the intense long term migraine. Getting that fixed was the best thing that has happened all year.
    Razatriptan is 2nd on my main list! But I haven't tried that one. There are 7 "triptans" I know of that all work, some better than others. Imitrex was top of the list on USER REVIEWS, AND tons OF THEM, so that's why I requested that one.

Do you use tablets or spray or injection? How many mg you take for each?

I really really want to also get the subcutaneous injections just to try to see. If they do work, and that fast, I would LOVE to have them. But would prefer at least a 10 supply, not just 2 or 4 of them and then have to see a doctor again. Plus, even though I got like 60 million needles while getting my tattoos, I'm still afraid of needles, and that bastard is pretty big! It's just hidden until you hit it, and then it's over, but I know it's gotta sting! But can't be worse than the headache, impossible. But just not enough to give the patient, IMO. My doc actually gave me 3 refills. So that's 24 sprays before I have to see her again. For most folks though, that's $1200 of medication!! That's gotta be fixed. Too much money for folks that truly suffer like you and I.

I only take the abortive, no preventative prescribed for me. I don't get clusters, just migraines induced by computer use, sunlight & anxiety.

How did you break your sinus and how did you or they know that may be the issue? Something has been causing mine mostly since about 5 years old. This is the FIRST thing in 45 years that a doctor has prescribed!! I feel like I found a miracle cure. And folks that have migraines would understand that - but most folks underestimate how debilitating they are to some.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I have a bottle of Aviation American Gin...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

9. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Razatriptan is 2nd on my main list! But I haven't tried that one. There are 7 "triptans" I know of that all work, some better than others. Imitrex was top of the list on USER REVIEWS, AND tons OF THEM, so that's why I requested that one.

Do you use tablets or spray or injection? How many mg you take for each?

I really really want to also get the subcutaneous injections just to try to see. If they do work, and that fast, I would LOVE to have them. But would prefer at least a 10 supply, not just 2 or 4 of them and then have to see a doctor again. Plus, even though I got like 60 million needles while getting my tattoos, I'm still afraid of needles, and that bastard is pretty big! It's just hidden until you hit it, and then it's over, but I know it's gotta sting! But can't be worse than the headache, impossible. But just not enough to give the patient, IMO. My doc actually gave me 3 refills. So that's 24 sprays before I have to see her again. For most folks though, that's $1200 of medication!! That's gotta be fixed. Too much money for folks that truly suffer like you and I.

I only take the abortive, no preventative prescribed for me. I don't get clusters, just migraines induced by computer use, sunlight & anxiety.

How did you break your sinus and how did you or they know that may be the issue? Something has been causing mine mostly since about 5 years old. This is the FIRST thing in 45 years that a doctor has prescribed!! I feel like I found a miracle cure. And folks that have migraines would understand that - but most folks underestimate how debilitating they are to some.

I have 5, 10 and 15 mg tabs of razatriptan, that dissolve under the tongue, there have been times when its hard to open the package I cant imagine trying to give myself a shot. Usually I can start with whatever I feel it needs, catch it early take a 5, waited too long start at 15. They take about 8 minutes to really kick in if after 15 I don't have enough I take another. I love that my doc knows I am going to medicate myself as much as I need without overdoing it.

After three doses I go to the ER

More than once NT has run me to the hospital for a cocktail.

I use those to take the edge off and if I just can't shake the dull pain I take an indomethacin, or an oxy, or a tramadol.
    I have found I am fond of baclofen as well, it works differently, on the nerves stops the muscle spazing that I get in my neck when I get a big one.

I had my nose broken when I was a kid, I set my nose and just moved on. ..I never had it checked out. As it turned out I also had a broken sinus that healed its own way. After I started my csf leak they eventually sent me to an ENT doc who shoved all kinds of stuff in my nose... but when he put the lido pad in, it was the first time in a year the migraine finally subsided. He said oh this I can fix! Had a ct done of my sinus all the other imaging seemed to cut off just before they saw I had a bone chip in the wrong place. Which was causing even more issues with the csf leak.

https://www.maxhealthcare.in/blogs/e...ry%20on%20face.

But that was only one part for me.
    So with that part out of the way I hopefully can work on repairing the rest of my brain issues lol
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

11. Thanks SassyLady, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I have 5, 10 and 15 mg tabs of razatriptan, that dissolve under the tongue, there have been times when its hard to open the package I cant imagine trying to give myself a shot. Usually I can start with whatever I feel it needs, catch it early take a 5, waited too long start at 15. They take about 8 minutes to really kick in if after 15 I don't have enough I take another. I love that my doc knows I am going to medicate myself as much as I need without overdoing it.

I use those to take the edge off and if I just can't shake the dull pain I take an indomethacin, or an oxy, or a tramadol.
    I have found I am fond of baclofen as well, it works differently, on the nerves stops the muscle spazing that I get in my neck when I get a big one.

I had my nose broken when I was a kid, I set my nose and just moved on. ..I never had it checked out. As it turned out I also had a broken sinus that healed its own way. After I started my csf leak they eventually sent me to an ENT doc who shoved all kinds of stuff in my nose... but when he put the lido pad in, it was the first time in a year the migraine finally subsided. He said oh this I can fix! Had a ct done of my sinus all the other imaging seemed to cut off just before they saw I had a bone chip in the wrong place. Which was causing even more issues with the csf leak.

So with that part out of the way I hopefully can work on repairing the rest of my brain issues lol
    Another reason I wish I lived in Alaska. Physicians aren't very kind and trusting in NY. Although, I have been reading about a lot of people going to the ER when all else fails. I thought of that a million times but just thought it would be inappropriate to do so. But I see many folks discussing things they gave them instantly and all kinds of great stories of getting rid of the migraine. It's not like going cause you have a headache, it's going because you're unable to function, you feel suicidal over a damn headache and it hurts THAT badly.

And good luck with a doc giving out any type of narcotic to help you. You'll get naproxen sodium as I was given (aleve) and some topical rubs & prescription strength ibuprofen. WTF? I get that shit at home. As for the ibuprofen 800mg - what the F is the difference between that and me popping just a few extra advils? Oxy, tramadol and any narcotics are no next to impossible to get unless you literally just had surgery. They treat everyone like pill seekers or druggies.

And damn, the reason I went nasal spray was for the quickness compared to tablets. But 15mins or so is where I am at with the spray, and maybe longer. That's why I thought over the injections. Maybe I'll ask for the triptan tablets you have as well if they work that quick for you sublingually! And how many dosages in the prescription? And refills? Just curious if its enough to last with refills and what not or back where I am now with a few headaches and back to the doc again.

I heard a lot about connections between the migraines and the muscles in the neck. Since narcotics ain't happening, I just got this - https://www.amazon.com/Stopain-Migra...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Supposed to wipe the gel on the back of your neck up to the back of your ears on both sides for relief. It's got good ratings surprisingly for an OTC medicine! I figure it can't hurt anyway. And we can listen to all the doctors in the world about what works best, and scientists and pharmacists - but I get my best feedback from fellow migraine sufferers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Another reason I wish I lived in Alaska. Physicians aren't very kind and trusting in NY. Although, I have been reading about a lot of people going to the ER when all else fails. I thought of that a million times but just thought it would be inappropriate to do so. But I see many folks discussing things they gave them instantly and all kinds of great stories of getting rid of the migraine. It's not like going cause you have a headache, it's going because you're unable to function, you feel suicidal over a damn headache and it hurts THAT badly.

And good luck with a doc giving out any type of narcotic to help you. You'll get naproxen sodium as I was given (aleve) and some topical rubs & prescription strength ibuprofen. WTF? I get that shit at home. As for the ibuprofen 800mg - what the F is the difference between that and me popping just a few extra advils? Oxy, tramadol and any narcotics are no next to impossible to get unless you literally just had surgery. They treat everyone like pill seekers or druggies.

And damn, the reason I went nasal spray was for the quickness compared to tablets. But 15mins or so is where I am at with the spray, and maybe longer. That's why I thought over the injections. Maybe I'll ask for the triptan tablets you have as well if they work that quick for you sublingually! And how many dosages in the prescription? And refills? Just curious if its enough to last with refills and what not or back where I am now with a few headaches and back to the doc again.

I heard a lot about connections between the migraines and the muscles in the neck. Since narcotics ain't happening, I just got this ]

I would definitely get a second opinion. ENT was definitely better than any of the other doctors. My neurologist said try pilates. Neurosurgery was completely confused, and my primary doc of 15 years said I have no more options. I am forever grateful that my primary knows me, and we have a great understanding. He knows that I don't just ask for pain management and when I do its usually really really bad. My mom has had success with acupuncture as well. That may work for you.

14. Thanks Kathianne, jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I would definitely get a second opinion. ENT was definitely better than any of the other doctors. My neurologist said try pilates. Neurosurgery was completely confused, and my primary doc of 15 years said I have no more options. I am forever grateful that my primary knows me, and we have a great understanding. He knows that I don't just ask for pain management and when I do its usually really really bad. My mom has had success with acupuncture as well. That may work for you.
    I am going to ask my doctor about Razatriptan tablets in addition and see how she responds. This is a new doctor I started with about a year ago. But other than the OTC crap or similar over so so many agonizing years - this is the first medicine actually ever prescribed to me that was meant to treat migraines. I understand that my due diligence and being direct accounts for a part of that - But I trusted the doctors to tell me what they know and perhaps prescribe something to me. My sister in law took injections and I found out about that with Jeff's first marriage and that was like 30 years ago. So I even used that as a reference with doctors - as in explaining to them that I have migraines and what it does to me - and stating "My sister in law took some form of injections that were meant to help her defeat them quickly, but I've never been prescribed anything at all before" - and to this day no difference.

So perhaps she'll work with me or I'll need to see a specialist. But I am confident in the triptans and the Sumatriptan nasal spray. But certainly wouldn't mind trying other options, or having an additional if I should need it - even if just for comfort level knowing that I have it.

Oh, forgot to ask - how expensive is the Razatriptan? The Sumatriptan is like a damn $260 minimum for 6 dosages but I got it for $110 with a goodRX coupon and not sure how long that will work.

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I used to have severe migraines in my younger years. The kind where you throw up and blackout. When I was 25 an ENT found a benign tumor in my sinuses that was growing and causing pressure. They cut it out and after that only have occasional migraines. The kind where I pass out don't happen anymore ... retirement cut down on stress levels.

Glad you and Jim have alternatives for your pain.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I am going to ask my doctor about Razatriptan tablets in addition and see how she responds. This is a new doctor I started with about a year ago. But other than the OTC crap or similar over so so many agonizing years - this is the first medicine actually ever prescribed to me that was meant to treat migraines. I understand that my due diligence and being direct accounts for a part of that - But I trusted the doctors to tell me what they know and perhaps prescribe something to me. My sister in law took injections and I found out about that with Jeff's first marriage and that was like 30 years ago. So I even used that as a reference with doctors - as in explaining to them that I have migraines and what it does to me - and stating "My sister in law took some form of injections that were meant to help her defeat them quickly, but I've never been prescribed anything at all before" - and to this day no difference.

So perhaps she'll work with me or I'll need to see a specialist. But I am confident in the triptans and the Sumatriptan nasal spray. But certainly wouldn't mind trying other options, or having an additional if I should need it - even if just for comfort level knowing that I have it.

Oh, forgot to ask - how expensive is the Razatriptan? The Sumatriptan is like a damn $260 minimum for 6 dosages but I got it for $110 with a goodRX coupon and not sure how long that will work.

On good rx 10 - 10mg tabs are $15 I can use 3 a day
    Question has the medications helped? The family of Triptans are very specific. If you don't get an immediate response its likely not to be a true migraine. Triptans also don't work well on cluster headaches.
    When I feel a true migraine coming on I also chug an alkaline water. Ice at the base of my neck will slow it down. I go zero to on my knees, so slowing it down is very important especially when i still have to drive home.
    Have you done a trigger log? 90% of my migraines are a chemical reaction, MSG is by far the worst. Burning plastic will destroy me. Artificial sweeteners are bad, but stevia is ok.

20. Likes Kathianne liked this post