Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Tooth pain, anyone know any temp magic?

My tooth on the top, all the way in the rear, is throbbing like hell. An interior piece of that tooth broke off, like a chip, while eating something years back. It didn't hurt, didn't show at all, I don't like dentists and pain... so don't fix what ain't broke!

Well, it broke. Feels the same, I can stick my tongue over there and feel the area. Eventually time must have done it's work and likely now the root is exposed in there, dunno.

What I do know, is that it HURTS, and a LOT. Been taking Tylenol until dentist time. Found a year old bottle of prescription ibuprofen too. And none of that anbesol crap even touches it. Hell, the tylenol and ibuprofen aren't doing a ton to help either.

I'm supposed to see him tomorrow morning. But still need to get thru the night in pain. Anyone know of any temporary magic tricks to help with the pain?

And no, @Gunny , a pair of pliers isn't it!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Ugh sorry, no ideas but I feel for you.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Drink til you pass out?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

5. Likes aboutime, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default May or may not help Jim but...

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    My tooth on the top, all the way in the rear, is throbbing like hell. An interior piece of that tooth broke off, like a chip, while eating something years back. It didn't hurt, didn't show at all, I don't like dentists and pain... so don't fix what ain't broke!

Well, it broke. Feels the same, I can stick my tongue over there and feel the area. Eventually time must have done it's work and likely now the root is exposed in there, dunno.

What I do know, is that it HURTS, and a LOT. Been taking Tylenol until dentist time. Found a year old bottle of prescription ibuprofen too. And none of that anbesol crap even touches it. Hell, the tylenol and ibuprofen aren't doing a ton to help either.

I'm supposed to see him tomorrow morning. But still need to get thru the night in pain. Anyone know of any temporary magic tricks to help with the pain?

As odd as it sounds. While I was in the navy. A navy dentist told me...since I had an old wisdom tooth that should have come out years before. Treat the pain with more Pain.
    Hold crushed ice in your mouth over the area where you have the most pain.

WARNING. You will get what they call 'BRAIN FREEZE'. It will be uncomfortable, but hold the ice there as long as you can. If the pain starts again....DO IT AGAIN. Let me know if it still works. It did for me.
    Honestly...give it a try. Us Old Sailors still know lots of tricks most people just laugh at.
    GOOD LUCK.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

7. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

It would work

If you aren't allergice to it and can handle the tasted, put a for-real aspirin on the tooth that hurts and hold it there with the opposing tooth. Providing you have an opposing tooth

It IS temporary, but it always worked for me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

9. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Drink til you pass out?
    An option, but the cold drinks were hurting it. And I need to get a bottle of vodka for the freezer, always had one. Nothing in the house at all.

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    As odd as it sounds. While I was in the navy. A navy dentist told me...since I had an old wisdom tooth that should have come out years before. Treat the pain with more Pain.
    Hold crushed ice in your mouth over the area where you have the most pain.

WARNING. You will get what they call 'BRAIN FREEZE'. It will be uncomfortable, but hold the ice there as long as you can. If the pain starts again....DO IT AGAIN. Let me know if it still works. It did for me.
    Honestly...give it a try. Us Old Sailors still know lots of tricks most people just laugh at.
    GOOD LUCK.
    While I think you, and I welcome all tricks and tips that folks make know, some normal and some strange stuff. And while this sounds on the normal side to an extent, as pain elsewhere is an actual known "remedy" of sorts, still sounds like something that isn't my cup of tea. Lemme rephrase - it very well may work.

I believe it worked for you and probably others. But feeling what I did when cold water touched it, or the bristles of my toothbrush went in there - YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    It would work

If you aren't allergice to it and can handle the tasted, put a for-real aspirin on the tooth that hurts and hold it there with the opposing tooth. Providing you have an opposing tooth

It IS temporary, but it always worked for me.
    I read that online but haven't tried it yet. Makes sense. And you may have it by you, when I was staying with Jeff in Georgia they used Goody's and a few other powdered aspirins. Drop the powder in some water and chug. Works much faster but tastes horrid. I had my fill of prescription ibuprofen yesterday, and about 3,000mg of Tylenol.

What worked best for me last night was warm water with a tablespoon or so of salt. I know it's good for cleaning and what not, but it actually lessened the pain a lot while the water was still in my mouth. Then it seemed to subside mostly. I repeated the process like 3 more times last night and it hasn't hurt since.

Since I already have a set plan for dental work that Covid rudely interrupted, we're going to continue with that route and see if I can make it to my regular appointment next week. But call immediately if I still want top come in or if pain returns and they'll bring me right in. So basically, yes, I chickened out for now. I figure whatever is gonna get done with that tooth will happen next week anyway, no point in 2 trips to see the evil bastard if I don't have to. Play it by ear, or pain.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Gunny, aboutime thanked this post
    Likes aboutime liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

https://www.healthline.com/health/clove-oil-toothache

Tried and true for me. Works on earache as well.
    Clove oil is my go to
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NT'sGirl View Post
    https://www.healthline.com/health/clove-oil-toothache

Tried and true for me. Works on earache as well.
    Clove oil is my go to
    I read this before in the past. I used to have some small jar of stuff made of clove, similar to a small bottle of anbesol. Have no idea whatever happened to that thing. It tasted awful but helped. Their idea of mixing a tad with olive oil and using the swab... may just try that one!

15. Likes NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Hold a 20lb weight over your head for about 20 seconds then drop it on your foot... you'll forget all about your tooth...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

17. Thanks NT'sGirl thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Hold a 20lb weight over your head for about 20 seconds then drop it on your foot... you'll forget all about your tooth...
    I hate you

I bet if I fell and had a compound fracture, you would tell me "eh, walk it off" LOL

And damn, I closed my finger in a car door, twice, much less force than a 20lb weight, and cried like a beotch until the doctor opened a hole and let the pressure and blood come out.

19. Likes hjmick liked this post