Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Just great, no hot water

So turn on the water at the sink, all good for a few, but won't get hot. Figured someone used it up. Waited like 30 minutes and tried again. Same thing. WTF?

Go downstairs to make sure the pilot light didn't go out. Used to go out a lot on our last unit, but got a new one like 4-5 years ago and problem free since. Well, no more. Water all over but not all of it. Pilot light won't go back on, everything wet I'm sure.

So emergency plumber appointment.

Problem is the unit we have. It used to flood prior to our well system. So the hot water heater is up on a professional made cement box of sorts. Well, that and the unit we have now is discontinued. Guy think he may be able to get it anyway.

It's some "AO Smith" XCVL 50" or similar? unlike others, this one is a tad shorter and fatter than most to accommodate where it goes. We shall see, but not hot water for now.

And I was JUST about to get some flex tape to fix a small pipe leak down there that won't leak unless you turn on the outside hose. Instead, the plumber is gonna do that real quick too.

Probably all only be about $18,450 here in NY. Ok, more like 1500-2000 for the heater and shouldn't be much at all for a quick joint repair.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes aboutime liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So turn on the water at the sink, all good for a few, but won't get hot. Figured someone used it up. Waited like 30 minutes and tried again. Same thing. WTF?

Go downstairs to make sure the pilot light didn't go out. Used to go out a lot on our last unit, but got a new one like 4-5 years ago and problem free since. Well, no more. Water all over but not all of it. Pilot light won't go back on, everything wet I'm sure.

So emergency plumber appointment.

Problem is the unit we have. It used to flood prior to our well system. So the hot water heater is up on a professional made cement box of sorts. Well, that and the unit we have now is discontinued. Guy think he may be able to get it anyway.

It's some "AO Smith" XCVL 50" or similar? unlike others, this one is a tad shorter and fatter than most to accommodate where it goes. We shall see, but not hot water for now.

And I was JUST about to get some flex tape to fix a small pipe leak down there that won't leak unless you turn on the outside hose. Instead, the plumber is gonna do that real quick too.

Probably all only be about $18,450 here in NY. Ok, more like 1500-2000 for the heater and shouldn't be much at all for a quick joint repair.
    Yuk! That is so aggravating!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yuk! That is so aggravating!
    Remember that movie "Money Pit"? LOL

Ok, not that bad, but with my luck seems like something every other week. Just when you think you're about to be caught up, boom and something else happens.

And hell, I have loads of plans and repairs still. House painted or aluminum siding, bedroom upstairs completely redone, as in new flooring/painting & other minor fixes. I want to replace our garage door and the garage door opener which is too damn loud. We still have the fence guy coming to do more work, finish fixing damage & filling gaps and putting in new style gates for us on both sides that auto-close. I want to replace the carpeting in the living room & a 10' hallway off of it. Have 2 light fixtures I need to replace still. My sink here in the upstairs bathroom doesn't really leak, but it's loose a little and ugly. Just replacing the faucet and knobs. Oh, we're getting our central air conditioning unit replaced too. Not nearly strong enough and the last worker said our unit is like 20-25 years old and another they don't make anymore. So need to replace and upgrade. There is a lame black pavement type square on the back lawn for a basketball court, and one hoop setup which is old and rusted and I'm tired of buying new nets. So the cement and that have to go. I want to replace with an outdoor patio of sorts if possible, with permanent seating made with a small firepit in the middle. Surrounded by small cement walls on 3 sides...

Now I just need all the money.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Likes Kathianne, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Remember that movie "Money Pit"? LOL

Ok, not that bad, but with my luck seems like something every other week. Just when you think you're about to be caught up, boom and something else happens.

And hell, I have loads of plans and repairs still. House painted or aluminum siding, bedroom upstairs completely redone, as in new flooring/painting & other minor fixes. I want to replace our garage door and the garage door opener which is too damn loud. We still have the fence guy coming to do more work, finish fixing damage & filling gaps and putting in new style gates for us on both sides that auto-close. I want to replace the carpeting in the living room & a 10' hallway off of it. Have 2 light fixtures I need to replace still. My sink here in the upstairs bathroom doesn't really leak, but it's loose a little and ugly. Just replacing the faucet and knobs. Oh, we're getting our central air conditioning unit replaced too. Not nearly strong enough and the last worker said our unit is like 20-25 years old and another they don't make anymore. So need to replace and upgrade. There is a lame black pavement type square on the back lawn for a basketball court, and one hoop setup which is old and rusted and I'm tired of buying new nets. So the cement and that have to go. I want to replace with an outdoor patio of sorts if possible, with permanent seating made with a small firepit in the middle. Surrounded by small cement walls on 3 sides...

Now I just need all the money.
    I guess the above is one of the reasons I am glad to be renting. After more than 25 years of my own money pit, it's all someone else's problem now. I wouldn't have done any different when the kids depended on me, but got to say, "Get this fixed, please" without worrying about how.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Likes jimnyc, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

House repairs and renos are a young man’s game.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

9. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc, aboutime, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Good new is, done already! And damn, if they had the unit with them which most wouldn't, it would have been quicker even. Took longer for the guy to get the unit than to replace and do the work. And while waiting to get the unit delivered he quickly fixed the leaking pipe in question.

Bad news is that it jumped up to $1800 - and I believe they took advantage of us IMO. I dunno. Granted it was also an emergency visit but still. Installation cost like $500 or a little more - and then the warranty went from 4 years to 10 years like our old one, but increased the price by $300?? Doesn't sound right to me.

That's what you get in New York. Items themselves are more expensive. Workers of any sort charge much more in NY. Emergence fees and such then increase more. Everything is more as they assume everyone makes more.

Was on the phone with my Dad explaining things and he nearly collapsed when I told him the prices. He said he replaced his by himself down in Florida and it cost a little more than $400. But he also installed a Rheem 30 gallon unit. This is 50 gallons and a more expensive brand/model. And I don't have welding tools or his know how. Dad grew up differently and continued on that way, and fixes EVERYTHING himself. Built an addition on our home, did all the electricity and plumbing & carpentry. Knows at least the older vehicles inside and out and would always have his truck ripped apart growing up and fixing things or changing oil or something. We traveled everywhere in that sucker and Dad made it last well over 700,000 miles last I remember.

Also, turns out we had that unit for 9 years. Time flies by! And it had a 10 year warranty. But basically the guy said it's useless but told us all the info to go through and we have the paperwork. Apparently all they will do is give you a tiny bit of money based on what is left on the warranty, or sumthin like that.

And just like that, without blinking nor expecting it and $1800 down the tubes.

11. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Good new is, done already! And damn, if they had the unit with them which most wouldn't, it would have been quicker even. Took longer for the guy to get the unit than to replace and do the work. And while waiting to get the unit delivered he quickly fixed the leaking pipe in question.

Bad news is that it jumped up to $1800 - and I believe they took advantage of us IMO. I dunno. Granted it was also an emergency visit but still. Installation cost like $500 or a little more - and then the warranty went from 4 years to 10 years like our old one, but increased the price by $300?? Doesn't sound right to me.

That's what you get in New York. Items themselves are more expensive. Workers of any sort charge much more in NY. Emergence fees and such then increase more. Everything is more as they assume everyone makes more.

Was on the phone with my Dad explaining things and he nearly collapsed when I told him the prices. He said he replaced his by himself down in Florida and it cost a little more than $400. But he also installed a Rheem 30 gallon unit. This is 50 gallons and a more expensive brand/model. And I don't have welding tools or his know how. Dad grew up differently and continued on that way, and fixes EVERYTHING himself. Built an addition on our home, did all the electricity and plumbing & carpentry. Knows at least the older vehicles inside and out and would always have his truck ripped apart growing up and fixing things or changing oil or something. We traveled everywhere in that sucker and Dad made it last well over 700,000 miles last I remember.

Also, turns out we had that unit for 9 years. Time flies by! And it had a 10 year warranty. But basically the guy said it's useless but told us all the info to go through and we have the paperwork. Apparently all they will do is give you a tiny bit of money based on what is left on the warranty, or sumthin like that.

And just like that, without blinking nor expecting it and $1800 down the tubes.
    Yeah, I remember those emergencies. You all know my problems with water!

13. Likes jimnyc, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)