Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Yikes! Eyeglasses are expensive!!

Had a pair made by Kazuo Kawasaki - and those damn things back then cost me like $600, and the frames were too delicate and I killed them. Plus they were trifocals and my eyes just wouldn't adjust. And I'm on 2nd pair of prescription readers - and they are held together by crazy glue and duct tape!

So I said, no more expensive shit as it ain't worth it and they break. Had it all figured out this time, and just a pair of heavy duty prescription readers & regular prescription this time without that trifocal crap. I figured outside the payment for the exam, I would spend up to 200-300.

I don't know if this is typical of "Lenscrafters" where I went. They were better than my normal place, everything is digital in the exam for exact testing and measurements. Problem is - they don't offer a lot of their own lenses & frames, or they hide them, and everything out on the floor is mostly good to designer. And God forbid I just stick to my guns. Nope, like a kid in a candy store!! But I was fairly gentle.

I am getting bifocal readers, as reading a foot away and 3 feet away is a big difference for my eyes. Just regular glasses with them. And of course I beelined it to the sunglasses. Just didn't know the doctor would talk me into prescription sunglasses, but for the best.

Readers, made by Sferoflex

Distance, by Ray Ban

Prescription sunglasses, Prada Linea Rossa (I bought almost same pair on Ebay, fu**er lied and was from China, took forever, and they were fakes!!)

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Had a pair made by Kazuo Kawasaki - and those damn things back then cost me like $600, and the frames were too delicate and I killed them. Plus they were trifocals and my eyes just wouldn't adjust. And I'm on 2nd pair of prescription readers - and they are held together by crazy glue and duct tape!

So I said, no more expensive shit as it ain't worth it and they break. Had it all figured out this time, and just a pair of heavy duty prescription readers & regular prescription this time without that trifocal crap. I figured outside the payment for the exam, I would spend up to 200-300.

I don't know if this is typical of "Lenscrafters" where I went. They were better than my normal place, everything is digital in the exam for exact testing and measurements. Problem is - they don't offer a lot of their own lenses & frames, or they hide them, and everything out on the floor is mostly good to designer. And God forbid I just stick to my guns. Nope, like a kid in a candy store!! But I was fairly gentle.

I am getting bifocal readers, as reading a foot away and 3 feet away is a big difference for my eyes. Just regular glasses with them. And of course I beelined it to the sunglasses. Just didn't know the doctor would talk me into prescription sunglasses, but for the best.

Readers, made by Sferoflex

Distance, by Ray Ban

Prescription sunglasses, Prada Linea Rossa (I bought almost same pair on Ebay, fu**er lied and was from China, took forever, and they were fakes!!)

Remind me not to go shopping with you!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Remind me not to go shopping with you!
    Bastards hid the good stuff somewhere that are on their site, for example (making up) a pair of Oakley RX6756T would be one price for LC lenses and another for Oakley lenses. So they had the good stuff out, and don't mention a lot about their own lenses. I was prepared, hence the regular readers... but peeking around and plans for regular distance LC lenses went out the window. Prada, Oakley, Ray Ban, Brooks Brothers, Armani, Ralph Lauren - and then I made the mistake of looking at the Persol and Tom Ford - don't know 'em and won't be buying them! So they made the others look reasonable.

But the sunglasses were the killer. Had not even planned on them but didn't know they would carry the Linnea Rossa I love. But that and the prescription made them like $450 or so. They will be staying in the case in my truck, and no one wears them! Just had someone steal my Maui Jim's and why I needed them.

I always say though - you get what you pay for. Let's hope they last this time!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Likes Kathianne liked this post