Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks (Given)
    1760
    Thanks (Received)
    2423
    Likes (Given)
    688
    Likes (Received)
    737
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14720542

    Default Is there anyone like Julius Erving in sports these days?

    I have always thought that Julius Erving was something special, but recently it has occurred to me just how special. In the midst of an NBA season that I stopped watching, and an NBA playoffs with the lowest ratings ever, and with NBA stars that I have either no opinion or a negative opinion of, it made me think recently about how there is no one in the NBA now that inspires anyone as a class act.

    In his day, Julius Erving inspired people not just by how he played basketball, but by how he carried himself and got those around him to carry themselves. People on the opposing teams clapped for Dr J. People in opposing cities had halftime celebrations for Julius during his last year in the NBA. Has anyone on an opposing team ever clapped for LeBron James? Will Stephon Curry get a halftime celebration in opposing cities during has last year?

    Even in other sports I think that there are no more "class act" players. There are talented players, but they use there talent to get more money and more camera time and intimidate their head coach, not inspire anyone. The time of "class acts" appears to be over.

    I'd be interested if anyone on the board can think of a class act player in the NBA, NFL, or any other sport. Any nominations?

    Last edited by Russ; 10-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    Try not to step in the "CNN"

  2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    37,551
    Thanks (Given)
    23656
    Thanks (Received)
    20224
    Likes (Given)
    499
    Likes (Received)
    5341
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I have always thought that Julius Erving was something special, but recently it has occurred to me just how special. In the midst of an NBA season that I stopped watching, and an NBA playoffs with the lowest ratings ever, and with NBA stars that I have either no opinion or a negative opinion of, it made me think recently about how there is no one in the NBA now that inspires anyone as a class act.

    In his day, Julius Erving inspired people not just by how he played basketball, but by how he carried himself and got those around him to carry themselves. People on the opposing teams clapped for Dr J. People in opposing cities had halftime celebrations for Julius during his last year in the NBA. Has anyone on an opposing team ever clapped for LeBron James? Will Stephon Curry get a halftime celebration in opposing cities during has last year?

    Even in other sports I think that there are no more "class act" players. There are talented players, but they use there talent to get more money and more camera time and intimidate their head coach, not inspire anyone. The time of "class acts" appears to be over.

    I'd be interested if anyone on the board can think of a class act player in the NBA, NFL, or any other sport. Any nominations?

    I agree completely. David Robinson is like that. He was a jerk when he was a rookie He turned out to be someone you could point out to your kid as someone who conducted themselves as men.

    Not to take away from Dr J. I've figured out the seniority to who is the biggest Dr J fan here ... I'm older, you lose
    The US Marines - We kill people who kill people because killing people is wrong

  4. Likes Russ liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks (Given)
    1760
    Thanks (Received)
    2423
    Likes (Given)
    688
    Likes (Received)
    737
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14720542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I agree completely. David Robinson is like that. He was a jerk when he was a rookie He turned out to be someone you could point out to your kid as someone who conducted themselves as men.

    Not to take away from Dr J. I've figured out the seniority to who is the biggest Dr J fan here ... I'm older, you lose

    Hahahahaha, I love this post. I'm not sure you're older, though, so maybe you lose. Great nomination with David Robinson, although he's only slightly younger than Dr. J. Are you agreeing that there is no current player to nominate?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    Try not to step in the "CNN"

  6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    37,551
    Thanks (Given)
    23656
    Thanks (Received)
    20224
    Likes (Given)
    499
    Likes (Received)
    5341
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hahahahaha, I love this post. I'm not sure you're older, though, so maybe you lose. Great nomination with David Robinson, although he's only slightly younger than Dr. J. Are you agreeing that there is no current player to nominate?
    I think are are some out there. We don't and likely won't hear about them. Instead, we get LeBron's take on politics which seems to hover intellectually a little lower than my 8 years old granddaughter's.

    You're setting a pretty high bar though with Doc. He was from a time when (besides the obvious most of us had manners and some modicum of intelligence) players understood that their job was to entertain the fans with their skills, not their mouths and politics, on the court. Conducting one's self as a gentleman for all of us was just part of life and whining, crying babies were shunned.

    Which brings to mind the question how would doc handle today's media and their contrived issues? He is from a time when racial discrimination DID exist and was everywhere. I think I have heard him speak on the issue of race before but I don't recall him crying like a baby nor making excuses. He let his ability on the court speak for him. Not to mention he was well-spoken, and well-mannered vs listening to uneducated ebonics of today.

    I won't even watch today's players play ball because their mouths tuned me out off the court.
    The US Marines - We kill people who kill people because killing people is wrong

  8. Thanks Russ thanked this post
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    62,493
    Thanks (Given)
    7109
    Thanks (Received)
    29391
    Likes (Given)
    4243
    Likes (Received)
    5193
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475628

    Default

    Just gotta know where to look for the greats!

    I'm in my backyard with a 10'x10 piece of broken pavement, with a 30 year old backboard and no net in sight. Got me a sweet Wilson ball, age showing with its baldness & might have been peed on a time or 4,000 by a tiny Chihuahua. But Dr. J got nuttin on my ass!!

    How do you catch a unique rabbit? Unique up on him! (was my Mom's favorite joke )

  10. Thanks Gunny, Russ thanked this post
  11. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    37,551
    Thanks (Given)
    23656
    Thanks (Received)
    20224
    Likes (Given)
    499
    Likes (Received)
    5341
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Just gotta know where to look for the greats!

    I'm in my backyard with a 10'x10 piece of broken pavement, with a 30 year old backboard and no net in sight. Got me a sweet Wilson ball, age showing with its baldness & might have been peed on a time or 4,000 by a tiny Chihuahua. But Dr. J got nuttin on my ass!!

    You been going through my personal photo album? Bring your game, bro. Just not that Wilson ball. I got that covered for ya
    The US Marines - We kill people who kill people because killing people is wrong

  12. Likes jimnyc, Russ liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Debate Policy - Political Forums