Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default So I Can't Find the Original Thread

about Elassar and the ribbons at the top of the main page @jimnyc, but I have thought about this, and here is my idea: why not a dead body page? I know you civilians will want to call it "In Memorium" or something touchy-feely like that , but the ideas the same.

A thread where members can post about their deceased loved ones should they so desire. Let's face it, this is us. Any major influx of new personnel probably won't be what most of us want and will be almost as newly gone as they arrived . So I don't see such a thread as anything hard to manage and it includes everyone on the board that desires to use it.

I like the ribbons for vets just fine and am all for leaving it. I think we should also have the all-inclusive thread as well.

I aimed this at Jimbob because he's the head cheese, but it is meant for anyone to chime in as they wish.
    Last edited by Gunny; 10-25-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, Bilgerat thanked this post
    Likes aboutime liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

"...sounds good Gunny"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

A thread where deceased members can post about their loved ones should they so desire.
    I fixed that. I can't believe some opportunist didn't jump right on top of it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm all for anything the military folks think would be the best and most respectful.

That page I was working on, which was larger ribbons, couple photos to remind of them and a tiny bio - that was an add-on page to vB I coded in. I "might" be able to add something like that at the top of a particular thread, so that such a named thread will appear as a memorial of sorts. But no guarantees, that just sounds nice IMO. That page is a vB page, just not within the thread system but outside of it. It would need to be implemented in a manner to add the threads, but then exclude all others and load only per thread or per form - whatever you guys choose.

Or even just a nice thread where things can be posted and memories shared, and folks banned that would ever dare disrespect such a setup.

Or maybe a forum titled "Memorials" or whatever name you guys think best, and then an individual thread for each lost soldier. Opening post being the memorials that I would work on, and the rest would be members words posting.

If and when this place should ever die out - whatever memorials exist on it will remain as a static page to remain and paid for so long as I'm breathing. I'll buy a damn 40 year lease on the static page in advance if I gotta!

Lots of ideas in my head! But would rather hear from @CSM if possible, @Gunny of course & @aboutime & @Bilgerat & @Mr. P & any other veterans on DP. And of course input from ALL is needed and respected. I'd rather build around what you guys prefer than what "I" like.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm all for anything the military folks think would be the best and most respectful.

That page I was working on, which was larger ribbons, couple photos to remind of them and a tiny bio - that was an add-on page to vB I coded in. I "might" be able to add something like that at the top of a particular thread, so that such a named thread will appear as a memorial of sorts. But no guarantees, that just sounds nice IMO. That page is a vB page, just not within the thread system but outside of it. It would need to be implemented in a manner to add the threads, but then exclude all others and load only per thread or per form - whatever you guys choose.

Or even just a nice thread where things can be posted and memories shared, and folks banned that would ever dare disrespect such a setup.

Or maybe a forum titled "Memorials" or whatever name you guys think best, and then an individual thread for each lost soldier. Opening post being the memorials that I would work on, and the rest would be members words posting.

If and when this place should ever die out - whatever memorials exist on it will remain as a static page to remain and paid for so long as I'm breathing. I'll buy a damn 40 year lease on the static page in advance if I gotta!

Lots of ideas in my head! But would rather hear from @CSM if possible, @Gunny of course & @aboutime & @Bilgerat & @Mr. P & any other veterans on DP. And of course input from ALL is needed and respected. I'd rather build around what you guys prefer than what "I" like.
    I'm all for hearing from the vets about what the vets want for the vets. That's fine, whatever is decided. We have our own subforum and when we kick, you put a ribbon up for us. That's as much or more than I think anyone could ask and I think it is more than enough.

I'm talking about everyone else. We're all members here and best I can tell, non-vet members have a general discussion forum to post a thread that will be scrolled off the page sooner than later. I personally don't feel I am better nor more deserving than anyone else simply because I served in the Marine Corps. "Marines -- Better than you since 1775" (I couldn't resist )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

As a starter: I would like to nominate trying that if possible. A dedicated forum, then dedicated threads for any members who have passed. Accompanied by any folks wanting to discuss anything in their memory. I can worry about appearance, and thread coloring or whatever comes with it after if/when something is decided. Can make even a mini ribbon to show for each member thread, something like that. I can work on something like that openly and no one would see it anyway until any permissions applied as last step for rights to view things.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'm for doing something for everyone. Not just military. When someone doesn't post for awhile I wonder if they're OK. It was really sad to hear about Gaffer when he passed and heartbreak again when Elessar passed. Makes me wonder how many have passed but no one in their family knew they posted here and we'll never know.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I'm for doing something for everyone. Not just military. When someone doesn't post for awhile I wonder if they're OK. It was really sad to hear about Gaffer when he passed and heartbreak again when Elessar passed. Makes me wonder how many have passed but no one in their family knew they posted here and we'll never know.
    I would have absolutely no issue with any type of memorials for our members! I address veterans as a sign of respect for their military duties and serving our country. But yes, hearing about any member that has posted with us that has passed is quite sad and a memorial would be nice for them too.

An all in one - or a separate place for each? I'm not saying that military folks or that their serving makes them better people than us or more important - but that their duties and service are worthy of recognition beyond the norm - as in the ribbons - and just as in their world they recognize things with different medals and such. So, my personal preference would be a more outlier display for the veterans, and no issue with something you guys would elect to do with other members as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I would have absolutely no issue with any type of memorials for our members! I address veterans as a sign of respect for their military duties and serving our country. But yes, hearing about any member that has posted with us that has passed is quite sad and a memorial would be nice for them too.

An all in one - or a separate place for each? I'm not saying that military folks or that their serving makes them better people than us or more important - but that their duties and service are worthy of recognition beyond the norm - as in the ribbons - and just as in their world they recognize things with different medals and such. So, my personal preference would be a more outlier display for the veterans, and no issue with something you guys would elect to do with other members as well.
    Ribbons for military is great.

Maybe a forum "In Memoriam" for general members with their own thread. Kinda like we do for birthdays.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.