Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Bill De Blasio: ‘We Have To Think About’ Packing SCOTUS If ACB Confirmed

They have made clear what their plans are.

But let me ask this - if they say add 4 new justices - then what would stop the republicans from following suit when they control things? And if the answer is that the democrats will lock the number somehow, then why can't that be done now? Where does it end or how?

--

Bill De Blasio: ‘We Have To Think About’ Packing SCOTUS If ACB Confirmed

As the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court draws ever closer to Senate confirmation, it is important to note that the nation’s leading Spanish-language network has severely underreported the current court-packing debate. The only reasonable explanation for such coverage is a Supreme Court packed by Democrats is also in Univision’s best business interests.

There has been no discussion of the issue whatsoever, except to elicit this response from the Sandinista mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio (click "Expand" to view transcript):

JORGE RAMOS: You openly support Vice President Biden for the White House. And this is what happened on Thursday during a town hall meeting.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: If they vote and before the election, you are open to expanding the court?.

JOE BIDEN: I'm open to considering what happens from that point on.

STEPHANOPOULOS: You said so many times during the campaign, all through the course of your career, it's important to level…

BIDEN: It is, but George, if I say, no matter what answer I gave you. If I say it, that's the headline tomorrow. It won't be about what's going on now. The improper way they're proceeding.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But don't voters have a right to know where you stand.

BIDEN: They do have a right to know where I stand. I have a right to know where I stand before they vote.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So you'll come out with a clear position before Election Day?.

BIDEN: Yes. Depending on how they handle this.

RAMOS: Mayor, do you think Biden is making a mistake by not answering that question?

BILL DE BLASIO: No, I think he's actually being very methodical. Jorge look, if the right thing happens and the Senate does not act or cannot put together the votes and the people actually get to decide in an election that's just a few weeks away. There's no reason then to have, in my opinion, a discussion about increasing the Supreme Court. If we can have a fair process to choose the next justice, we can leave the court with the same numbers it has. But if instead, the Republican majority violates any sense of decency and democracy and forces through this nomination, and now we have a Supreme Court that is unrepresentative of our democratic process, well, then it's a very valid idea to say we should consider adding justices. So, I think the vice president saying, you know what, if Barrett doesn't go through, different discussion, but if she does, then we have to think about adding justices.
    Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/la...-scotus-if-acb

And another 3 good reads on court packing:

https://redstate.com/scotthounsell/2...losers-n255079
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...t_144429.html#!
    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...e-on-democrats
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes aboutime liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Good questions. I'd like to know the answers. I don't think the Dems can just "pack the court" as easy as they say.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Good questions. I'd like to know the answers. I don't think the Dems can just "pack the court" as easy as they say.
    It's not as easy as anyone thinks - or it is that easy and we'll have endless judges. I can't imagine they will somehow be able to put in 6 new judges or whatever - and then somehow lock it up so that it's now closed forever for changes. I'm no constitutional expert but something does need to be finalized here so that the discussion happens no more after this.

We know where the SC stands now, and with any changes and expected changes in our great country - what should that number be? I see no reason in the past or future to believe that the current makeup of 9 is the right way to go, and just stay with what works. And yes, there WILL come a time where the Democrats own the senate and presidency, and whatever openings happen, well, then they simply have the numbers to make whatever changes. Simply the way it works. And the way it works with really anything passing through congress over the years. But the Dems get unhappy if and when things work out for the republicans, so they try to make changes to stop it from happening again. But whatever changes they make, end up coming back to haunt them too.

While the SC is now firmly to the right at 6-3 (really 5-4 at many times) - again, that WILL change someday. But right now? OURS!

And here are the events of her swearing in...

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock