Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so I guess you will not be providing that centcom press release, and will rely instead on your typical shopworn attacks on my naval service?

why am I not surprised?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

One might want to start here and put things in a little more perspective:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog..._said_what.asp

What? You’ve never heard of this IPS and find yourself curious about who and what it is? IPS describes itself this way on its website: “IPS, civil society's leading news agency, is an independent voice from the South and for development, delving into globalisation for the stories underneath. Another communication is possible.” I don’t know what any of that means either, but I figure I’d share it with you and put it our there for deconstruction.

A couple of things about this IPS “scoop”. IPS reported the alleged exchange on September 12, or yesterday to you and me. The alleged exchange occurred back in March. You also might wonder how IPS got this juicy nugget. Did Admiral Fallon put a call into the news agency renowned for “delving into globalization”? Hardly. IPS got the story from “Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.” Mind you, IPS didn’t just use just anonymous Pentagon source who might have seen the exchange. IPS relied on sources who not only didn’t witness the exchange, but didn’t even talk to people who witnessed the exchange. They were just “familiar with reports of the meeting.” Allegedly.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the weekly standard is no more an unbiased news source than IPS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    the weekly standard is no more an unbiased news source than IPS
    Do you think GW has issued a press release for the thousands of untrue statements that have been attributed to him over the past 8 years or so?

And here's yet another story about the issue:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/0...slur-abou.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    One might want to start here and put things in a little more perspective:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog..._said_what.asp
    Extremely well said. I have been arguing this anonymous sourcing garbage for quite a while now and it seems that the standard in play with regard to politics these days is, "if I agree with it, it must be true."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

so I guess you will not be providing that centcom press release, and will rely instead on your typical shopworn attacks on my naval service?

why am I not surprised?
    You are not surprised because you are blind and dumb. You can't speak - you find articles online and let THEM speak. Then you sit back and demand STUPID things as 'proof'.

Your 'service'? There you go again, you arrogant bastard...you think being an E5 would be an insult to your service? You are an insult to your service.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am quite sure that Admiral Fallon is well aware that General Petraeus is not in the United States Air Force.
    Let's see, modern aircraft carriers cost 4-5 billion to buy from the builders (who no doubt pad the cost incredibly) and 160 million a year to operate(how many landing gear need to be replaced when Navy pilots crash their planes on the deck and call it a landing)...... what exactly do they do besides putting thousands of men and women in the position of sitting ducks. The United States Air Force can be anywhere in the world tomorrow rather than next week, what is the point of these big boats except for the egos of Admirals?
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Let's see, modern aircraft carriers cost 4-5 billion to buy from the builders (who no doubt pad the cost incredibly) and 160 million a year to operate(how many landing gear need to be replaced when Navy pilots crash their planes on the deck and call it a landing)...... what exactly do they do besides putting thousands of men and women in the position of sitting ducks. The United States Air Force can be anywhere in the world tomorrow rather than next week, what is the point of these big boats except for the egos of Admirals?
    where to begin?

the air farce cannot even begin to put 90 aircraft with all their necessary support anywere in the world next week. with carriers, the navy can do exactly that in eight or ten hot spots simultaneously, and their ability to control strategic choke points in sea lines of communication and commerce is unparalleled.

if you are asking me what aircraft carriers do, then you clearly don't have enough knowledge to be telling me that they are useless.

the strategic mission of aircraft carriers is well known to military planners and that is why we keep building them. John Warner and Jim Webb are not powerful enough to cram something down the CinC's throat that he and his DoD don't actually believe is desparately needed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    You are not surprised because you are blind and dumb. You can't speak - you find articles online and let THEM speak. Then you sit back and demand STUPID things as 'proof'.

Your 'service'? There you go again, you arrogant bastard...you think being an E5 would be an insult to your service? You are an insult to your service.
    I made an observation. I offered an opinion. I think that CENTCOM would issue a retraction if Fallon had been thusly misquoted. If you chose to believe differently, that is perfectly OK with me.

I a quite certain that if you told an E-5 that he had only made it as far as E-2, he would correct you. And if you continued to repeat the mistake after being corrected, I am sure that the E-5 would be insulted. You obviously have never been in uniform. And keep my mother out of our conversation.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I a quite certain that if you told an E-5 that he had only made it as far as E-2, he would correct you. And if you continued to repeat the mistake after being corrected, I am sure that the E-5 would be insulted. You obviously have never been in uniform. And keep my mother out of our conversation.
    If a guy who made E5 continually wrote stuff which is contrary to what anybody reasonably-expecting an E5 to write, the question of his experience would be valid. Based on the dribble I've seen you come up with, I'd be surprised if you'd made it to E5, much less O5, as you 'claim'. Keep my 2nd cousin out of your conversation.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If a guy who made E5 continually wrote stuff which is contrary to what anybody reasonably-expecting an E5 to write, the question of his experience would be valid. Based on the dribble I've seen you come up with, I'd be surprised if you'd made it to E5, much less O5, as you 'claim'. Keep my 2nd cousin out of your conversation.
    what specifically have I ever written regarding anything military, that would lead you to believe that I was not who I have said I am?

and if you call me a bastard, you are definitely bringing my mother into the conversation. I have no idea who the hell your second cousin is.... I would not be surprised if he were unaware of the connection as well.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

what specifically have I ever written regarding anything military, that would lead you to believe that I was not who I have said I am?

and if you call me a bastard, you are definitely bringing my mother into the conversation. I have no idea who the hell your second cousin is.... I would not be surprised if he were unaware of the connection as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your response is a smilie?

well, let me reciprocate:

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

your response is a smilie?

well, let me reciprocate:
    He's not smiling. He's blinking. He's confused. He's reading what you wrote and is taken aback at the lunacy. He's blinking. He's a blinkie...not a smilie.

This is him shrugging:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what the conservatives think about General Petraeus's boss, Admiral Fallon? Are HIS opinions to be taken as seriously as the general's?
    Only if his opinions on the Iraq war are the same as General Petraeus' or bush's opinions on it. If not, then they won't give a damn about what he has to say.

No discussion points, no links, no data - just the name of one General and One Admiral. Seems like lounge fodder.
    Admiral Fallon is General Petraeus' boss... that's a little more than just one admiral and one general...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Bush also picked Fallon. Big mistake militarily, IMO.

nope... gates did...

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    I see that you have gotten your marching orders from the collective to come in and present this anonymously sourced "quote." This is truly starting to get funny.

I wonder why IPS is the source for this, and let me reapeat it, ANONYMOUSLY sourced quote? Why not the New York Times, or the Washington Post?

Hmmm.......
    booogy talking about marching orders... that's so presshhh-usss... you, of all people talking about marching orders... you were in the military, when again? which branch? what duty stations?

Lost your job? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your house? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your life savings? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your health care? Thank the republicans!
    Lost all Hope? Thank the republicans!