Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Computer Cleaning Instructions for those infected or similar

Figured I would share before I delete everything or put it away in storage. May be a tad confusing as it's written over time & the fact that I suck! Was helping my Dad a lot over the past year and had some utilities on my desktop. And then just as I'm about to hit the Submit button is when I realized I may have written this for no reason or no one will use it. Politics isn't exactly the go to place for computer assistance.

*** All the utilities listed below for total cleaning, if need be. -- http://www.debatepolicy.com/free_utilities.zip

They are ALL FREE, but such programs will try to get you to upgrade to a paid version! So just always go slow and watch what you click.

Everything I put together is 100% free and stays that way, so do not click on anything during any installs, if you use any of them, other than the FREE stuff!

***** And while all free - PLEASE don't install and click on things if you don't know what it is or what it does. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have, if I can. Most will know the majority of this, but for those that may not have them already...

If you don't have them or a good alternative, the programs in bold below are great! The last 3 are good to have if ever told to run them, but you don't have to install as the others "should" cover things. Here are all the programs included:

Piriform Ccleaner - ccsetup574.exe - CCleaner Is Disk Cleanup On Steroids CCleaner has two main uses. One, it scans for and deletes useless files, freeing up space. Two, it erases private data like your browsing history and list of most recently opened files in various programs.

Glary Utilities - gu5setup.exe - The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your PC. Boosts PC speed and fixes frustrating errors, crashes and freezes. Features one-click functionality and easy, automated options. Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance.

Avast Antivirus Free - avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe - Avast Antivirus is a family of cross-platform internet security applications developed by Avast for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android and iOS. (I only mention this one as free, and also mention Kaspersky as a paid alternative. But whatever your flavor, running a scan now and again is important)

Malwarebytes - mbsetup.exe - Malwarebytes (formerly Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, abbreviated as MBAM) is an anti-malware software for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS that finds and removes malware.

Revo Uninstaller - revosetup.exe - Revo Uninstaller is an uninstaller for Microsoft Windows. It uninstalls programs and additionally removes any files and Windows registry entries left behind by the program's uninstaller or by the Windows uninstall function.

ADWcleaner - adwcleaner.exe - AdwCleaner is a free tool that will scan your computer and efficiently removes Adware (ads softwares), PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), Toolbars, Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage). It also features anti adware host that will help to prevent advertising software from installing on your machine.

Combofix - combofix.exe - Combofix is a freeware (a legitimate spyware remover created by sUBs), Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them. ComboFix allows the manual removal of spyware infections

JRT - Junkware Removal Tool - JRT.exe - (JRT) is a one-step system cleaner that targets PUPs, adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your Registry and other places where debris accumulates.

-------------------

1) Piriform CCleaner

What is Ccleaner? aka Crap Cleaner as it started as - CCleaner Is Disk Cleanup On Steroids CCleaner has two main uses. One, it scans for and deletes useless files, freeing up space. Two, it erases private data like your browsing history and list of most recently opened files in various programs.

Run the installer to install the application

When it gives you the option to install Yahoo toolbar uncheck the box next to it. (or anything else other than just Ccleaner)

Run CCleaner (make sure under Windows tab all the boxes of Internet Explorer and Windows explorer are checked. Under System check Empty Recycle Bin and Temporary Files. Under Application tab all the boxes should be checked)
    Click Run Cleaner
    Close CCleaner

2) Remove unneeded start-up entries

I see computers with like 30 icons on their taskbar by the clock. They think they have to have it this way, and 30 programs load on startup to appear there. There's no need for this and it eats up your memory and will only serve to slow down your computer. Ridding the startup of many things does NO harm and doesn't delete programs, instead you just now must click on a program to open it and close it when done - just no longer pre-loaded.

CCleaner or Glary Utilities - both have built in start up sections that are user friendly. Both programs are in this download. And they both do SO much more than just give you the ability to alter your startup group. They both also have one click maintenance options to keep your computer clean. All kinds of other tools for checking and fixing/cleaning various parts of your computer in them. These are likely my 2 most used tools.

3) Kaspersky

Kaspersky offers 3 home programs from regular anti-virus, then a level up to internet security, and then total security. I started with the most expensive, then the middle and then the regular. Why? I literally never used the rest, and then found the same with the mid option, and all I use can be found in the regular antivirus. Simply posting about Kaspersky as it is what I use.

But even their regular antivirus cost $29.99 a year for 3 machines. And $39 and $49 for the other 2. So if one were to think about switching, there is that cost. I went from AVG and many others before landing with Kaspersky years back and been with them ever since. if interested - start here - https://usa.kaspersky.com/antivirus

4) If determined to stay free, then I would recommend Avast - and the Free version is included in the download.

5) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

What is Malwarebytes? - Malwarebytes (formerly Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, abbreviated as MBAM) is an anti-malware software for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS that finds and removes malware.

Fantastic program for finding and removing malware - I just never kept it running FT, myself, so I use this one on a "as needed" basis.

Open Malwarebytes
    go to the update tab at the top
    click on check for updates (don't have to do this every time, every now and again is fine.
    If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
    Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
    If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

6) Revo Uninstaller

What is Revo Uninstaller? - Revo Uninstaller is an uninstaller for Microsoft Windows. It uninstalls programs and additionally removes any files and Windows registry entries left behind by the program's uninstaller or by the Windows uninstall function.

I include this one as part of good computer cleaning (even using Ccleaner or Glary) it will clean up remnants of left over programs that have been uninstalled. Sometimes that doesn't happen properly, or you remove a program and it still remains listed in add/remove programs list. This is much stronger for whatever reason, or better.

Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
    From the list of programs double click on the program to remove
    When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
    Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
    The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
    when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
    Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
    Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
    when prompted click on Yes and then on next.
    put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
    when prompted select yes then on next
    Once done click Finish.

7) AdwCleaner

What is AdwCleaner? - AdwCleaner is a free tool that will scan your computer and efficiently removes Adware (ads softwares), PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), Toolbars, Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage). It also features anti adware host that will help to prevent advertising software from installing on your machine.

Close all other open programs
    Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run
    Click on delete
    Confirm OK each time
    Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.

8) ComboFix

What is Combofix? - Combofix is a freeware (a legitimate spyware remover created by sUBs), Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them. ComboFix allows the manual removal of spyware infections

When running Combofix you should turn off any security software you have running

Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal

a) Close any open browsers or any other programs that are open.

b) Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Run ComboFix

Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Note 2: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer

9) Junkware Removal Tool

What is Junkware Removal Tool? - Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is a one-step system cleaner that targets PUPs, adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your Registry and other places where debris accumulates.

Close any anti-virus or other protection programs temporarily
    Run the tool by double-clicking it. If using Windows 7, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
    The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.

And again, the link to download all of them is - http://www.debatepolicy.com/free_utilities.zip
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes tailfins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I been using
    h VP

*Been using McAfee for over 7 years now very happy.. it is a "Paid" system which I prefer Offers real time cleaners Shredder (places you been) and cookies cleaner(places you been)

It will save your Favorite Places...One can see it working real time or let it work in the back ground automatically...(Of course one can do some things themselves...But this does it better and faster) This system has so many
    Goodies. And worth the price...

I am so happy with this system I cant say it loud enough...BTW...I clean and
    shred 4-5 times Daily....

One interesting thing with this system...Twitter has a very hard time with it...I see so many people complaining about "twitter jail" etc..etc..I have NO Problem.... Im always cleaning up after myself...continually ...I never EVER get bothered on twitter...and Im a big Trump fan...very strange I know... but thats the Truth...And I post some hard stuff on Twitter...!!!
    Always moving.. always cleaning....ALWAYS...!!

Read below all the goodies one gets...$89.00 A YEAR...WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Award-winning Antivirus

Secure VPN**

Performance Optimization

Home Network Security

Security Experts and Online Support

Multi-device Compatibility

Password Manager

Safe Web Browsing

McAfee® Shredder™

Encrypted Storage

Identity Theft Protection‡

Safe Family

This video is an overview...Good watch...Ignore the Pricing (4 years old video)...Its more expensive Now...but worth it.

4. Likes icansayit, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Man, I have to strongly urge you to stay away from McAfee and Norton. They're terrible, unreliable and bloated antivirals.

The best anti-virus I've found is Webroot. Not free, but like $20 per year. Extremely lightweight - doesn't slow your machine down - and the best protection.

And super fast - it scans my laptop in under 90 seconds.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Man, I have to strongly urge you to stay away from McAfee and Norton. They're terrible, unreliable and bloated antivirals.

The best anti-virus I've found is Webroot. Not free, but like $20 per year. Extremely lightweight - doesn't slow your machine down - and the best protection.

Since you said it...

I worked with McAfee in the professional world and worked on 2,000 machines that used it. And likely worked on no less than 1500 of them over the years and some of them 50x or more.

I found McAfee severely slowed down every machine it touched. Now mind you though, that was the mid-90's & Win 95 at first and onto XP after that. The machines were fast for the time as money was no object to them, but still horribly slow by today's standards, and more so with McAfee installed. I liked the software but not the performance. And I found that after complete removal, it still left remnants around the PC causing issues. It wasn't bloated for our corporate version but might as well have been with the speed.

And Norton was similar but ran a little faster - but was actually worse in leaving shit behind. Never used either of them again. Perhaps they are awesome today, I don't know, after those horrid experiences I simply never tried. LTG gives it a thumbs up so I'm confident that they learned over the years and got better.

I see Norton is one of the highest ranked today.

And believe it or not, McAfee is on many lists too. So who knows, but for folks that worked on it on the early years may be hesitant today.

What a coinkydinky, got McAfee, Norton, Webroot and Kaspersky as the first 5 on the list!! Just one list though, but I go by the averages of overall. I just wish that subscription shit never happened to gouge you yearly and go back to a one time price!

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best...rus-protection
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, I remember my Mom bought a brand new desktop machine in the 2000s and while she was picking it up bought Norton at the same time.

Took it home, fired it up and loaded Norton. Crashed it and wouldn't even boot up. Called me and I went over expecting to spend 5 minutes fixing it - brand new machine, right?

I spent 8 hours on it before finally formatting the hard drive and booting from a windows disk I had - just getting it to recognize the DVD ROM was an epic battle in itself.

I was researching as I fought it, and literally millions of other people worldwide had similar results with that new Norton release.

Idiots didn't test that awful bit of software very well. I immediately delete anything from that company and I always will - that was inexcusable.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

9. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I have a relative that asked my help recovering from the VOID ransomware. It's a particularly egregious malware to be on the lookout for. Rush Limbaugh's (albeit paid) advice to use iDrive seems like a great idea.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...oid-ransomware

Void (also known as VoidCrypt) is a malicious program classified as ransomware. Systems infected with this malware suffer data encryption and users receive ransom demands for file decryption. When this ransomware encrypts, all affected files are renamed according to this pattern: original filename, cyber criminals' email address, unique ID and the ".Void" extension. For example, a file like "1.jpg" would appear as something akin to "1.jpg.[stevenxx134@gmail.com][ID-X2VBE84A6PZNQKW].Void" following encryption. After this process is complete, a ransom message is displayed in a pop-up window via the "Decryption-Info.HTA" file, which is dropped into every compromised folder.
    The text in the pop-up window (generated by "Decryption-Info.HTA") states that all of the victim's files have been encrypted with the AES and RSA cryptographic algorithms. To recover the data, users are to purchase the legitimate decryption tools and keys from the cyber criminals behind the attack. Victims are instructed to establish contact with the criminals responsible. The message lists three email addresses for this purpose. The messages must contain a unique ID, which can be found in the message and in the modified filenames. Decryption can be tested prior to paying the ransom by sending an unspecified number of encrypted files to the cyber criminals. The test files should be less than 1 MB and contain no valuable information (e.g. databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.). Following verification of decryption, the size of the ransom can be negotiated (as it is not mentioned in the message), however, this sum will supposedly double should users fail to make contact within 48 hours. While the size of the payment is not specified, it is stated that it must be made in the Bitcoin cryptocurrency. After this transaction is made, the victims are promised that they will be sent the tools necessary to decrypt their files. They are also warned that attempting to recover the data with third party decryption tools/software can result in permanent data loss. Unfortunately, in many cases of ransomware infections, decryption is impossible without involvement of the criminals responsible, unless, in rare cases, the malware is still in development and/or has bugs/flaws. Whatever the case, you are strongly advised against meeting any ransom demands. Despite paying, victims do not receive the tools/software to decrypt their files. Therefore, files remain encrypted and users experience financial loss. Removing the malicious program will prevent it from further encryption, however, this will not restore already affected data. The only solution is to recover files from a backup, if one was created prior to the infection and was stored in a separate location.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post

Tried web root long ago for a year or so.....wasn't for me.. I will leave it at that and would not recommend Webroot.