Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default I performed a miracle!

I put both as I noticed folks seem to call them both, not sure why, no difference between nerite and nerita and nothing to do with sexes.

Nerite/Nerita Snails - I have "Tiger Blood", 2 of them at purchase. I got them for their ability to go around and clean the tank glass AND because this species was said to be "impossible" to have babies while in fresh water aquariums. Apparently they prefer salt water for having babies, or brackish water. And even if a miracle happens, the babies would still need to be transferred for survival.

The first article here is the writeup from the place I purchased my fishies and snails and other things. The final decision was made by the word "impossible". I have my issue with my other tank, where I purchased 2 crayfish and now have a never ending supply of them. So I didn't want a tankful of snails. I also searched many other places on the 'net prior to purchase.

For those that don't know - brackish water is basically part salt and part fresh water. Increased salinity. And I assure you I don't have such a setup.

--

Nerita Snails are an efficient scavenger ideal for smaller ponds and freshwater community aquariums. The Nerita Snail is a popular choice for keeping uneaten food and algae in check. It is peaceful and will not unexpectedly overpopulate your aquarium or water garden since the Nerita Snail is difficult to breed (impossible in freshwater!).

The Nerita Snails originate from the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean and can be found in the lower regions of rivers. The Nerita Snail should not be housed with any other animals that would like to make a meal of them.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...76&c=1075+1076
    Nerite snails are a great addition to any planted aquarium and they will be really good friends the dwarf shrimp. Unlike some other common aquarium snails, they do not reproduce in freshwater aquaria. Thus, they will never overpopulate your tank.

Why do we fail breeding Nerite Snails?

In my opinion, there are three main reasons why aquarists have a hard time doing it.

There are hundreds(!) of Nerite species, they live in a different environment and can have different types of development. People have a different experience with different species, which look very similar. I have already mentioned that even the biologists have difficulties with this. As a result, we do not have a systematic experience for specific species. So, when we start discussing this matter, the results do not match. Things start heating up, people call each other names and nobody knows for sure anything. This is not very productive.

It is very hard to raise/feed them after hatching. We do not really know their diet and cannot fully replicate their environment.

All “traditional” approaches are erroneous and based on false information. In the past, more than once aquarists have seen similar examples. Just think about it. How do Nerite snails end up in freshwater if they can breed only in brackish water? In some cases, it will take dozens of years for the snail to cross this distance.

https://aquariumbreeder.com/nerite-s...-and-breeding/

How to Breed

Now that you learned how to increase your chance of breeding nerite snails, it is time to understand their breeding process.

Even though snails can live in freshwater, saltwater, and the land, they can only breed in saltwater. If you want to breed a nerite snail successfully, put them in a tank with saltwater or release them in brackish water. They tend to produce successfully when they are in their natural habitat.

If you have prepared a tank or aquarium with saltwater, place a group of nerite snails (5-6 group at least for a higher chance of success). Since you cannot determine whether you are looking at a male or female nerite snail, having multiple groups is your best chance of successfully reproducing.

If your snail found a partner successfully and the mating began, the female snail will start looking for leaves or driftwood where it can lay its eggs. It can even lay eggs on another snail’s shell. The egg capsules are in yellow and turn dark as it develops into a baby snail.

A snail egg capsule can grow up to 1.5mm (length) x 1mm (width) and has an oval shape. A thin membrane protects the egg capsule. Each egg capsule contains up to 68 eggs. The highest content is 106, and the lowest count is 32.

The egg capsule turns to larvae after 96 hours (3 days at least). It develops into baby snails after seven days. Baby snails are small and can be sucked by filters if there is one, so be careful if your tank has a filter. If you are using a sponge filter, then you don’t have to worry about this.

For maximum protection, it is best to place your baby snails to a marine tank. Make sure that the tank has algae or a source of algae to feed the baby snails. Leave them for a month in the marine tank before moving them to your regular freshwater fish tank.

https://www.thefishkeeping.com/how-t...nerite-snails/
    Hello,

You cannot breed nerite snails in fresh water to start off with. These snails are capable of living in Fresh,brackish,and saltwater. Of which they only breed in brackish water.

So if your hoping to breed in your existing FW planted tank, your out of luck.

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/b...ut%20of%20luck.

Nerite Snail Breeding

Nerite snail breeding is a topic that is full of misinformation and confusion. It’s funny because other than breeding everything about this creature is very straightforward!

The source of the confusion comes from the fact that many people say nerite snail eggs can be bred in a freshwater aquarium, but the larvae need saltwater to survive. This has led to a lot of differing advice in the aquarium hobbyist community when it comes to these snails.

The safest way to handle nerite snail breeding is to slowly transition them to a tank with brackish water (sort of a hybrid between saltwater and freshwater) before breeding begins. This will not only help encourage the mating process but it will make things habitable for the larvae as well.

Other than that, there aren’t many things you can do to initiate the mating process. This can be frustrating for some which is why so many people abandon the process. You just have to be patient and let them do things on their terms.

Unlike a lot of other snails, female nerites lay eggs that the males then fertilize. They don’t do much with the eggs after this process is done and after 12-16 days the larvae should be formed and ready to go!

https://www.aquariumsource.com/nerite-snail/
    Here's how it started in my tank, not even knowing what the hell this was at first, but had a good idea!

But no fear, as you need salt water or brackish water for birth and survival.

And yet here are just fine surviving babies on the upper left of glass and then upper right of glass. About 40 or so in there now. But TONS of larvae left and could be more.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Looks like mold or maybe a virus both are pretty common these days.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Looks like mold or maybe a virus both are pretty common these days.
    So are you saying that covid-19 infected my tank somehow & then my infected little snails gave birth to supersnails who can survive outside their normal environments? And setting off a chain reaction whereas the babies that survived will all then spit out babies themselves, and that all will have immunity from the disease? And we found out that these supersnails can also reproduce without a partner, male or female, due to the interaction between the covid-19 cells and the cells within the babies larvae?

So you're thinking that perhaps one of these little guys can offer himself up for testing and perhaps using him to develop the best vaccine yet? The cure has been in my fish tank all along!! And then after we use this vaccine, those Americans that received it will then be able to procreate without a partner!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Likes Mr. P, SassyLady, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So are you saying that covid-19 infected my tank somehow & then my infected little snails gave birth to supersnails who can survive outside their normal environments? And setting off a chain reaction whereas the babies that survived will all then spit out babies themselves, and that all will have immunity from the disease? And we found out that these supersnails can also reproduce without a partner, male or female, due to the interaction between the covid-19 cells and the cells within the babies larvae?

So you're thinking that perhaps one of these little guys can offer himself up for testing and perhaps using him to develop the best vaccine yet? The cure has been in my fish tank all along!! And then after we use this vaccine, those Americans that received it will then be able to procreate without a partner!!

Hey...it's 2020 ANYTHING could happen !
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

8. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Hey...it's 2020 ANYTHING could happen !
    I got me on FAT ass lady for a neighbor. I could have sworn I saw some little monkeys flying out of her ass!! Serious man!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Stop playing those Barry White albums near the tank!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

11. Likes NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Stop playing those Barry White albums near the tank!
    Haven't done that but I do crank some good 'ol rock up here now and again. Perhaps the parents are into some Zeppelin or Maiden, and oddly put them in the mood & gave them super powers!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I got me on FAT ass lady for a neighbor. I could have sworn I saw some little monkeys flying out of her ass!! Serious man!!
    I noticed the Marlboros in your photo. Does your dog smoke? Is he a picky smoker or will he try Lucky Strikes in a pinch?

Last edited by tailfins; 12-01-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I noticed the Marlboros in your photo. Does your dog smoke? Is he a picky smoker or will he try Lucky Strikes in a pinch?
    I quit cigarettes in late 2010 and haven't had a single cigarette since.

That's a photo of when I was in Alaska and got my doggy! That was, I believe, Sharon's daughter holding onto her to snap a photo to show me.

Luckily she didn't pick up on the habit, so she remains a non-smoker.