Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default NFL Viewership Crashes 29%, Season-to-Date Viewing Down 8%

Been a Steelers fan since literally as long as I can remember. Started as my team around, if I had to guess, around 1976 or 1977 or so. Never looked back! Started watching faithfully in like 1983 just entering HS. Don't think I've missed much since, maybe a game here or there due to scheduling and no choice. And as TV and cable picked up, and more and more access available, the more I spent and picked up more access myself. When we bought our house in 1998, the first thing I did was call DirecTV!! And of course that included the satellite dish and opted for the Sunday Ticket! Also never looked back. You get to watch a channel called the "red zone" - where they will cut into every game for you when a time gets inside the opponents 20 yard line. Also a channel called "Game Mix" where you can watch up to 8 games at once in one picture. But it's awfully small. Better is say 4 games dividing the screen, much nicer, and you only get the audio of the one of your choosing.

Then you get every game. Almost. Some are blacked out - your local game for example, that's already available on regular TV, would be blacked out. But most are available.

Didn't matter to me - I turned it on, tuned into the Steelers game only and that was that. Unless I had company, like if my bro was here we may tune into the Vikings game AFTER my game.

I was about to say it costs about $200 a year. I started back in '98 and it was like $175 a year, so I assumed it went up since. So I just looked, and yikes, it's up alright! And I know we stream and watch those channels, cause I would stream them here on my computer all the time, or whenever I was away from home.

The Sunday Ticket Max plan, which normally costs $395 a year, includes the out-of-market NFL games as well as the Red Zone Channel and the capacity to stream the games on various devices. The Ticket’s base plan, which costs $293, does not include the Red Zone Channel nor the streaming feature.

This year I have been faithful to my word of boycotting due to all the extra BS added into a GAME. When they can learn to leave politics out of it, realize we have ONE national anthem & not have to open the game and/or continually show political activist messages.

My Dad says the Steelers aren't doing anything at all, but still. But even for him, due to other teams, he just waits until 1:30 and then turns on the TV to tune in when everything is already started. Maybe next year for me, I'll give it a shot and see if it's back to the NFL and kicking ass again. And a shame, as my Steelers were undefeated at 11-0 until they lost to Washington last week. Which is another thing as they finally got them to drop the Redskins name. So for now, or hopefully by next year, they are known as "Washington Football Team". And when the Steelers played them, as previously with others, they just call them "football team" and it sounds so damn stupid.

---

Weak 13: NFL Viewership Crashes 29%, Season-to-Date Viewing Down 8%

The NFL enjoyed a rebound in the ratings and a relatively rare week of good fortune over the Thanksgiving holiday, but it did not last.

One week after having their best ratings week of the year, the NFL faceplanted with a 14.5 million viewer average for Week 13. That number represented a 29% drop in viewership from Week 13 of last season. For the year, the league is averaging 15.2 million viewers per week, an eight percent drop season-to-date.

Postponements and scheduling complications stemming from the coronavirus definitely played a role in the chaos of Week 13, as did the ongoing disaster that has unfolded in Dallas. For years, the NFL could count on the Cowboys to provide solid primetime and afternoon national ratings. However, historically bad defensive play and a series of bizarre coaching decisions have spoiled Dallas’ television appeal. So much so that the league has flexed the Cowboys scheduled Week 15 Sunday Night Football matchup against the 49ers, something that would have been unthinkable as recently as last year.

There’s ever a good time to have bad ratings, but this year is a particularly bad time for the NFL to regress.

As Front Office Sports’ Michael McCarthy reports:

The stakes are high. All of the league’s media deals expire after the 2021 and 2022 seasons. There are potentially billions of dollars at stake as the NFL tries to nearly double its $5 billion annual rights fees from media partners ESPN, CBS, NBC, and Fox.

After growing 5% in each of the past two seasons, some TV executives worry the NFL’s 7% drop through the halfway point of 2020 augurs a return to the 2016 and 2017 seasons — when average audiences fell 8% and 10%, respectively.
    Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...iewing-down-8/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes Kathianne, icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

When I heard Steelers lost to Washington I thought "damn, Jim finally broke down and watched them"!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

4. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    When I heard Steelers lost to Washington I thought "damn, Jim finally broke down and watched them"!
    Nope, my luck is like that though. My luck would be if they made it to the Super Bowl this year. 15-1 or 14-2 isn't too shabby. But anyway, finally tuning in because it's the big game, and they're different. But of course they would lose. Or the same if it's the AFC Championship.

Not even watching Kansas City this year either - I know someone is going to need to get through them. Maybe if someone else magically knocks them out, but if the Championship game or earlier is them 2, I don't see the Steelers beating Mahomes. Either way, ain't gonna be because of me jinxing them!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Likes SassyLady, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Still no NFL in this household. Maybe never again, who knows?

Red Zone was awesome when we were doing fantasy football. But we dropped that before this season.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post