Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Gab social media

Let's make this the master thread for now. And if/when Parler ever gets back online we can do the same for them.

If anyone wants to share usernames, you can PM me for mine!! I only have SassyLady's for now. Then again, maybe many won't move or even try. Cool there too! To each their own.

As to why they are still so slow and hard to join? I believe this is the owner with this post. That's one million new sign-ups in 48 hours!

They are not getting rid of legacy TV and aren't getting rid of FB or Twitter either. BUT, with the amounts they are getting, they themselves should be fine when the dust clears and have a nice service going forward.

And much will also depend on their ability to expand and how quickly. They already offer a lot more than Twitter. But to expand exponentially is costly. As they grow larger and larger, will they be able to sprout up with datacenters which are costly? Having multiple data centers around the country is the key to being able to keep up with demand. They should be able to sort visitors towards their closest servers to them.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes PixieStix liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Last edited by Kathianne; 01-12-2021 at 06:49 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Funny, yesterday when I posted about Gab and their in-house operations I mentioned that they had their domain with Epik.

Usually though it's the hosting provider that puts a halt to things, 97/100 times! Don't get me wrong, a registrar does reserve the right to kill off a suspend a domain for various reasons, but usually it's handled by a hosting provider long prior to that.

But, for example, some registrars allow for some services themselves, or outright hosting. The worst is spammers. The majority of cases are folks who register a domain and just utilize the registrars built in email services to spam people - kiss your domain name goodbye.

You can also get kicked off of a registrar if folks go on a campaign of complaints against you. Parler was hosted by Amazon who killed them off as we know. But when folks looked up their registration info, it came back showing them info about Dreamhost, who is a hosting provider, but Parler only used them as a registrar it appears? So complaints and away they went! And landed at Epik. Likely due to research into free speech hosting providers and free speech domain registrars. Likely how Gab ended up there too.

As far as them hosting far right websites? Never researched it, but it's quite possible. And quite possible much more if it's folks looking for free speech. Folks on the far right aren't the only people looking for freedom of speech.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I finally have an account but things were too slow for it to even load properly... but it's still a weird issue for me.

No images aka posts are showing up on the screen, it's as if something is disabled but it's not. If I clean all cache/cookies for the site and go back, I can see everything perfectly but of course I am now logged out. I log back in and same thing, this is what I see:

And even as painfully slow as it is, takes forever to load, then forever to load the login screen and then forever to login... only to load it in Microsoft Edge as well and tested and same thing.

I let it sit for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, so I don't think it's because it's slow either. But I dunno. I can read all the posts more or less as a guest, but logged in and it all hangs and nada.

Anyone else? Anyone else even trying at Gab besides Sassy and myself thus far?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I finally have an account but things were too slow for it to even load properly... but it's still a weird issue for me.

No images aka posts are showing up on the screen, it's as if something is disabled but it's not. If I clean all cache/cookies for the site and go back, I can see everything perfectly but of course I am now logged out. I log back in and same thing, this is what I see:

And even as painfully slow as it is, takes forever to load, then forever to load the login screen and then forever to login... only to load it in Microsoft Edge as well and tested and same thing.

I let it sit for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, so I don't think it's because it's slow either. But I dunno. I can read all the posts more or less as a guest, but logged in and it all hangs and nada.

Anyone else? Anyone else even trying at Gab besides Sassy and myself thus far?
    Nighttrain is there.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Nighttrain is there.
    I'll ask him too then @NightTrain - no problems loading for either of you guys? And weird for me that it's with both browsers, so, thus far nothing I'm doing wrong. Gonna test a few other browsers now...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'll ask him too then @NightTrain - no problems loading for either of you guys? And weird for me that it's with both browsers, so, thus far nothing I'm doing wrong. Gonna test a few other browsers now...
    I have intermittent internet so I always have things load slow and I just figure it's the heavy traffic. I'm also usually on way late so less traffic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

This is where I'm hung up right now.

Screenshot_20210112-184604_Chrome.jpg

11. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Mine stayed there too. I clicked on news on the bottom for news.gab.com and that loaded, and then on the top I clicked "Join Gab" to move over.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Mine stayed there too. I clicked on news on the bottom for news.gab.com and that loaded, and then on the top I clicked "Join Gab" to move over.
    I went to my phone and it loaded right up. Seem to have issues with my tablet for now. Torba posted another truckload of servers arrived.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

15. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Of course you can add me. Anyone who wishes to can add me. I'm easy.

AK_NightTrain

Some weenie stole regular NightTrain.... commie bastard.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

17. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Still slow for me today but getting much better! I did find Sassy and NT - and clicked on follow and now says I'm following both, if that's all I need to do? Hard to learn when things don't load properly yet. If I go to my own profile and click on who I'm following, it kinda shows members but won't load but forever. Or I just now clicked on the "comments" for NT's page and got this:

I say give it a week and she'll be rocking!

And what's holding things up, and yet still getting done, and will get MUCH better with the new servers that Sassy pointed out:

It's all those visitor numbers! We'll have to see in the long run how the new members continue in, as that's gotta be like 5 mil over like the past 3-5 days. And if the traffic continues on somewhat as well, it should be a decent service.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Still slow for me today but getting much better! I did find Sassy and NT - and clicked on follow and now says I'm following both, if that's all I need to do? Hard to learn when things don't load properly yet. If I go to my own profile and click on who I'm following, it kinda shows members but won't load but forever. Or I just now clicked on the "comments" for NT's page and got this:

I say give it a week and she'll be rocking!

And what's holding things up, and yet still getting done, and will get MUCH better with the new servers that Sassy pointed out:

It's all those visitor numbers! We'll have to see in the long run how the new members continue in, as that's gotta be like 5 mil over like the past 3-5 days. And if the traffic continues on somewhat as well, it should be a decent service.
    He was interviewed on The War Room (Bannon's podcast) and showed his phone. It is Android based but without Google.

They talked about how GAB happened and his big tech alternatives for YouTube, FB, Twit and Google. They asked how he gets funding and it's through donations and buying products like hats.

20. Likes jimnyc liked this post