Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Boxing champ Leon Spinks dies at 67

NBC News
    Boxing champ Leon Spinks dies at 67
    Dennis Romero 1 hr ago

NBC News Boxing champ Leon Spinks dies at 67

Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks, who once beat Muhammad Ali, died Friday night with wife at his side after a five-year fight with cancer, a spokesperson said in a statement. He was 67.

a person standing in front of a crowdİ Provided by NBC News
    Spinks battled prostate and other cancers before his death in the Las Vegas area, the spokesperson said.

Spinks won 46 of 72 professional fights. His most noteworthy battle came on Feb. 15, 1978, when he was granted a decision victory over Ali, earning Spinks the world heavyweight title.

Before that, the St. Louis native served in the U.S. Marine Corps, won a bronze medal during the 1974 boxing world championships and silver in the 1975 Pan America Games. The next year he scored a gold medal at the Montreal Olympics.

He called boxing greats Ali, Ken Norton and Sugar Ray Leonard friends. He moved to greater Las Vegas in 2011, the year he married his wife, Brenda Glur Spinks.

He was inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame but not the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

His family said he was a father, stepfather and grandfather.
    I was not a big fan of Spinks or Ali.
    But Spinks was a very tough boxer.
    Gone at 67 years old-- I myself will be 67 come March of this year ..

I did my fighting, my boxing bare knuckles.
    Now that is tough and the hits are often quite vicious and effective. -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 02-06-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy, icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

How time flies for all of us....Never know what one might get...do your best...tough it out and enjoy every second on Earth...

4. Thanks icansayit, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Sad to hear. A Reminder for us all.

At 67, he was younger than I am today. Which should tell everyone. Cherish and enjoy every minute of your life, and never forget to tell everyone you Love them.

Seeing so many pass away, personally tells me why I tell myself to ALWAYS have a smile to share with everyone I meet. My hap-hazard ways here on D.P. come from respecting all I have been through, and how Thankful I am to still be here to Harrass and Piss Off so many with a LAUGH.

Something I have learned as the last of my original family. It gets lonely when the people I once knew, and called friends...are no longer around. THAT'S LIFE!

RIP CHAMP!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

6. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post