Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Post Super Bowl & the Lombardi Trophy

Luckily it's not like the Stanly Cup, of which there is one that gets passed around yearly to the winners. As you can expect, the trophy is treated in high regard.

The Vince Lombardi Trophy - handed out to the yearly winner of the NFL SB. Most teams still treat it with that same amount of respect. For example, here's how the Steelers keep and share theirs:

And if you try to get much closer you are liable to be shot!

But for these 2, this is twice now they treated it with disrespect to the trophy and the game IMO.

First it was Rob Gronkowski a couple of years ago, and he got into a batting cage and used it to take a pitch and bunt, and put a sizeable dent in the trophy.

The results:

And now this year, supposedly the G.O.A.T and 7 time SB winner. And go and watch the 2 quick clips at the following link. And ask yourself - is this how you treat the SB trophy with respect and in high regard to the NFL as a whole? And then ask, what if it didn't make it to the other side and went for a swim?

And not just because I don't care for either, would have said it no matter who. Just doesn't feel right to watch them as multiple time winners, while others only dream of making it to the big game, treat things like this.

--

If you have to celebrate a Super Bowl championship while attempting to social distance, you might as well do it on boats. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are floating around the Hillsborough River in Tampa on Wednesday and going peak Florida Man doing it.

Just watch quarterback Tom Brady casually toss the Lombardi Trophy from his $2 million yacht. He just tosses that thing right over water.

If that isn't stressful enough, check out the view from the other boat. It didn't appear they believed Brady would actually do it. But as their relationship has often gone, tight end Rob Gronkowski was there for him. Or at least his boat and fellow partiers were there to snatch it and keep it relatively safe.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-buccane...202915823.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jim, respect for trophies ended with the onset of "participation" trophies. come on man!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

3. Thanks LongTermGuy, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I get your point, Jim. But the NFL and the word ‘respect’ don’t go together anymore.
    ....agree to a point...But.. Brady is Not a Kneeler...`just trying to "get along" with some of the low-info Fools` he has to play with to achieve `his` Goals...He can have another "trophy" made if he broke that one...He don't care I don't care...Good for Brady enjoying life...and making it possible for the Buc`s players to get more money and enjoy their lives....

5. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    ....agree to a point...But.. Brady is Not a Kneeler...`just trying to "get along" with some of the low-info Fools` he has to play with to achieve `his` Goals...He can have another "trophy" made if he broke that one...He don't care I don't care...Good for Brady enjoying life...and making it possible for the Buc`s players to get more money and enjoy their lives....
    Brady was in general always a decent man that I am aware of. Not much to complain about in that department.

I agree about him personally and perhaps even getting another trophy for himself at home. With his dough he could get trophies made for everyone on the team. And yeps, the win helps all the players for quite awhile in advancing their careers and/or salary. But everything aside, there is only one given out a year, and it's original. Majority of the team has never even been to a SB let alone win one and bring the trophy home to Raymond James Stadium for all of the fans to share and enjoy with them! And the majority will never be to one again.

But that's is their trophy too. The other players, all of the coaches and all of the Buccaneer fans. And yes, I know that technically it can be replaced, by Brady or the NFL - but it will never be the original, even if someone couldn't tell the difference - all in my own opinion of course. Imagine those players, the 1st timers and the coaches and all of those fans watching from the side or television, and they see this take place and the trophy is off target and sinks. Their hearts would drop!

Nothing taken away from Brady as a decent man, and a way more than decent quarterback. As in the best to ever play the game, and I hate saying that! He earned all of his trophies and I'm unsure his feats ever get beaten. Take nothing from the mans career and trophies and rings and all he accomplished! I just wish this one time he would have thought twice. Or someone intervened while he was all tequila'd up! I don't hate the man for it, just for a shitty drunken idea. And no way he does this if not drunk.

"WTF spoiled and irresponsible," another added.

"Total disrespect"

"Absolutely shameful"

I couldn't DISAGREE more with this take, which unfortunately seems like the majority are taking. Giving him a pass because of who he is. Because he's been there 10 times and this is now his 7th time winning. Sure, but what about all the Tampa fans? And what about all of the other Tampa players? They would all just smile and laugh if it sank to the bottom.

And he was hammered drunk when he did this which does not excuse it. When getting off the boat not long after...

It’s impossible to watch Tom Brady‘s tequila-induced Lombardi Trophy throw without feeling that same visceral unease triggered by peering over the ledge of a tall building. The pit in the stomach gets even larger when considering a couple of basic realities.

First, that was the real trophy, not some replica or replacement given to players for partying purposes. Second, as Simms (who lived in Tampa) pointed out on Thursday’s PFT Live, the water in that area of the Hillsborough River is 80 feet deep.

If Brady had missed the mark, or if tight end Cameron Brate had failed to make the catch, down the trophy would have gone. Given the extent to which alcohol was flowing on the various boats in the parade, someone may have decided to jump in after it — not realizing that it was a long way to the bottom.

Ultimately, a potentially ugly (or dangerous) scene was avoided. The incident, and the future celebrations it could inspire, may cause the NFL to consider doing what the NHL does: Making a secondary trophy available to the players for any and all crazy things they may choose to do with it.

Fortunately for everyone involved, the trophy includes no cup.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...80-feet-below/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock