Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    With shenanigans like this there's less time to talk about Cuomo making a mess of nursing homes in NY.
    I chalk it up to his family being cold and having the ability to get away. He should have thought of the optics. As far as the media taking up x hours on Cruz rather than Cuomo, that's them, being them.

I have reasons for not liking Cruz, but this isn't the deal breaker kind of thing for me.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks fj1200, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Can anyone Honestly say...

What Ted Cruz did had any effect on your life?
    Hurt you?
    Hurt anyone else?
    Other than those who must always find something to complain about that's REALLY IMPORTANT LIKE A SENATOR TAKING members of his family to Mexico????

If I recall. I posted something like this last week, and it seems nobody pays any attention to it.
    But I am convinced EVERYBODY NEEDS TO JUST....DO IT!

Last edited by icansayit; 02-22-2021 at 12:39 AM.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The cold snap in Texas is over. Essentially everything is open and the supermarkets are restocked. This weekend crisis is now a non-issue.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    What Ted Cruz did had any effect on your life?
    Hurt you?
    Hurt anyone else?
    Other than those who must always find something to complain about that's REALLY IMPORTANT LIKE A SENATOR TAKING members of his family to Mexico????

If I recall. I posted something like this last week, and it seems nobody pays any attention to it.
    But I am convinced EVERYBODY NEEDS TO JUST....DO IT!

Now you made the song stick in my mind, darn you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    With shenanigans like this there's less time to talk about Cuomo making a mess of nursing homes in NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I chalk it up to his family being cold and having the ability to get away. He should have thought of the optics. As far as the media taking up x hours on Cruz rather than Cuomo, that's them, being them.

I have reasons for not liking Cruz, but this isn't the deal breaker kind of thing for me.
    Here's where I differ just a tad. I see things like this a little similar to political correctness, when I'm learning as I get older that I just simply want results from those in government.

This isn't something really that Cruz is responsible for. I DO get the entire appearances thing, I just don't care as much anymore. What I care about is that when something IS his job, that he does it and does it well and there are results to be shown for the state of Texas or more, depending.

For example, we had like 11-14 inches of snow here a few weeks back, 2 days of snow a few days ago - and it's snowing right now and 1-6 expected. Yes, that's what it is! Anyway, and I know it's just my lonely opinion of course....

If I was in NYC for example, and it's a snow emergency or a power emergency. And it's bad, and bad set of events at once, so perhaps streets and homes are affected by it. I want answers from Con-ed. I want answers from the NY Dept. of Transportation as to all the snow removal and ice issues, clearing public roads and highways and more. Con-ed will take care of power and gas. Then we have the NY Emergency Management team to oversee emergencies. And if they take over control, things must be bad. They would be ultimately responsible for control of duties for police, fire, snow and basically everything. And you may see the Mayor taking charge within that team like Giuliani did in 2001, but that's rare. But regardless, the next up the food chain that I look to to truly ensure things are getting done would in fact be the mayor. That is who is in charge. In a way, that's the top of the chain.

But, admittedly, it 'could' even potentially go as high as the POTUS if you wanted to talk rare. But outside of expectations of answers and help from the mayor, being de Blasio right now, would be perhaps also city council members.

And yes, perhaps things could be in a position as to where a state senator may somehow help. Not sure what that may be, but they do represent the state overall. And then maybe a US senator. But likely the most one could do is maybe make some calls in Washington or similar? But we know calls can be made from anywhere really. But really the questions is whether or not it's their duty? What are they bailing from? What job is not getting done due to that person leaving? That's the questions I ask myself. So what is their job? Here's 2 different definitions. -- And another thing many out in the 'sphere I see are forgetting... he is not a state senator of Texas but rather Cruz us a United States Senator. And Texas has PLENTY of state senators that I would look to long before Ted.

I 100% get the optics thing, and get it as I used to be the same. But other than that, I just simply don't see him responsible for this weather emergency. I DO see others responsible, and I do not like being in the cold and not without my internet connection!! So I do want answers but more importantly I want results, like everyone else. In the city, if it got as bad as Texas, I want answers from executive management within the emergency teams. Trucks should be loaded in the streets, and while they do the work, and those management folks in charge, it's usually the mayor that often addresses those affected somehow. But I've never, here or elsewhere, not in the city, just never saw Chuck Schumer come out and address anyone nor really ever get involved. Certainly not Kristin Gillibrand either (sp?) I never really thought of even looking or expecting answers from them. Just assume those 2 whackos are in Washington.

In my area, up north just a tad North... I honestly just looked up the Mayor of Mamaroneck, NY - of whom is our local police department and other government crap. But 'Thomas A. Murphy' I see is our mayor! Had to look it up! Have zero idea prior. Mainly why? #1, I don't live in Mamaroneck, but the village I live in is eaten up by Mamaroneck so they are in charge. Unless you go 4 houses away and to the top of my street, then it's a different division.

My point being, I don't even look that far up when we have snow and power emergencies, and we have them. I think it was Sandy when we got nailed and were down for days. But hell, I wanted answers from our snow removal folks, but luckily they were mainly on their job for snow storms by me, some just sometimes take longer. And when power, as in Sandy, I look to Con-ed, of whom was nowhere to be seen at that time. So I called many times. But then they created a website with tons of info about expectations and locations. But never went to police, didn't look to see where my mayor was, didn't look at any senators. I want answers from those actually doing the job, those who are responsible for those emergencies when they take place. And did any of you actually read this far into my rambling?

-----

High energy, a charismatic or approachable personality and the ability to navigate bureaucratic channels are traits that help United States senators succeed. Senators represent the interests of their states’ citizens, write and support legislation and vote on bills. They divide their time between their home states and Washington, D.C., and spend considerable time meeting with constituents and fellow lawmakers and attending Senate sessions.

Just the Facts

U.S. senators must be at least 30 years old and citizens of the U.S. Membership is open to both natural-born and naturalized citizens, providing that naturalized citizens have been citizens for at least nine years. Naturalized citizens are people born in other countries who become citizens of the U.S. Senators must be inhabitants of the state they represent. Each senator serves a six-year term and is paid $174,000 per year, as of 2014. Senate majority and minority leaders receive $193,400 annually, and the president pro tempore receives $223,500. A background in business, communications or law can be helpful, particularly when writing or evaluating legislation.

Meeting, Meetings and More Meetings

Meetings occupy a significant portion of a senator’s day. Senators meet with their staffers to review and plan daily activities, and discuss legislation and constituent issues. Attending committee meetings is a time-consuming, but very important, part of a senator’s day. Each senator is assigned to serve on one or more of the Senate’s 20 committees and 68 subcommittees. Committees and subcommittees review bills and resolutions, gather more information, hold hearings, and change and refine wording before sending bills to the Senate floor for a vote. Senators also meet with lobbyists, concerned citizens, and fellow lawmakers to discuss concerns and legislation. The Center on Congress at Indiana University notes that high energy levels and the ability to focus intently on tasks are helpful.

Keeping in Touch

Keeping up with the concerns of the residents of your state when you’re far away in Washington, D.C., can be difficult. Although staffers in a senator’s staff offices brief him on issues and concerns, there’s no substitute for speaking to citizens, local politicians and business leaders in person. When the Senate isn’t in session, senators head for home and travel their states to ensure they’re in touch with the needs of their citizens. An effective senator has excellent interpersonal skills and can establish a rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds.

Public Speaking

Voting bills into law is one of the most important jobs of a senator. Senators can be called to the Senate floor without much notice once a bill is ready for a vote. Although the voting process only takes a few minutes, the debate and discussion leading up to the vote can be lengthy. When the official business of the Senate ends for the day, a senator’s day is far from over. Attendance at social functions and fundraising for the next senate campaign can keep him busy until late at night. Public speaking ability is a must, as senators make many speeches at events, receptions and fundraisers.

https://careertrend.com/job-state-senator-2038.html

What Are the Duties of the U.S. Senate?

The U.S. Senate proposes and considers new laws, approves or rejects presidential nominations, provides advice and consent on international treaties, and serves as the high court for impeachment trials. Although the U.S. House of Representatives also works on new legislation, only the Senate performs the other three duties.

As part of its legislative duties, the Senate introduces bills and resolutions, or it considers legislation proposed by the House. A Senate committee usually examines and discusses a bill and then accepts or rejects it. The full Senate votes on accepted bills. If the bill is approved by the full Senate and originated in the Senate, the bill is sent to the House for consideration. If the approved bill originated in the House, the bill is sent to the president for his signature or veto.

Other Senate duties are related to its obligation to check and balance other parts of the federal government. Before the president can appoint people to certain positions, including members of the Cabinet, justices of the Supreme Court, other federal judges, and ambassadors, the Senate must consent to the appointments. By two-thirds vote, the Senate must also approve treaties that the executive branch makes with foreign governments. Although only the House of Representatives has the power to impeach a government official or charge the official with misconduct, the Senate holds the impeachment trial to determine whether the official is guilty of the charge.

https://www.reference.com/world-view...62aa5be7087946
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Cruz's case is all about optics. State and local officials are not individually responsible for natural disasters. It helps their public image if they are visible and sympathetic to their constituents. With four million Texas residents dealing with no power or water during the coldest weather in many decades, the idea of one of their most visible politicians taking his family to Cancun instead of toughing it out like everyone else is going to generate public outrage. Public servants are most visible than normal people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Cruz's case is all about optics. State and local officials are not individually responsible for natural disasters. It helps their public image if they are visible and sympathetic to their constituents. With four million Texas residents dealing with no power or water during the coldest weather in many decades, the idea of one of their most visible politicians taking his family to Cancun instead of toughing it out like everyone else is going to generate public outrage. Public servants are most visible than normal people.
    No, it isn't. The only people who give a rat's ass about this are moonbats who hate him anyway, and wouldn't vote for him even if he personally shoveled welfare checks out of his pickup down the streets of suburban Houston.

But I am happy that Texas blessed the USA with Senator Cruz - he's been most helpful calling out liberal bullshit. I have to wonder what Beta O'Rourke voters in Houston think about 2024? Cruz for President? I'd vote for him next time.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

11. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

To paraphrase Rush Limbaugh: The left cares about symbolism, not substance. To use a more modern term, all that matters to the left is "virtue signalling". Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the wokiest woke of all.
    Last edited by tailfins; 02-22-2021 at 09:58 PM.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Call it anything you like - but it's still not his job nor his responsibility. Nothing more than irrational anger at someone who has nothing to do with helping them with these issues. Again, I do understand politics and appearances, and how they alone can harm. But for me, I no longer care about PC and not things like this when he couldn't help me, and I would also know it's not his job. For their issues they should be looking to the mayors, the departments responsible for power and other utilities and what is being done? What are expectations and ETA's? Where is emergency management and how are they making things better? SO SO many others getting to work or actually responsible for any fixes or things needed getting done to get people power back.

I can only compare for my state as I did. The same issue? Of which we all have kinda been in before. Don't know about others, but I go to my power company if it's not back. I know who is in charge, and who the leaders are that may oversee any particular ongoing emergency. In NY I never once looked to senators. Live in NJ for 30 years and quite a few governors, same story. Same with mayors. Was always the same folks to call/blame. Same with cable out or TV, we call those folks.

Really the only time I look to my senators is WTF are they doing in Washington and WTF are they doing to help me and my neighbors.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Call it anything you like - but it's still not his job nor his responsibility. Nothing more than irrational anger at someone who has nothing to do with helping them with these issues. Again, I do understand politics and appearances, and how they alone can harm. But for me, I no longer care about PC and not things like this when he couldn't help me, and I would also know it's not his job. For their issues they should be looking to the mayors, the departments responsible for power and other utilities and what is being done? What are expectations and ETA's? Where is emergency management and how are they making things better? SO SO many others getting to work or actually responsible for any fixes or things needed getting done to get people power back.

I can only compare for my state as I did. The same issue? Of which we all have kinda been in before. Don't know about others, but I go to my power company if it's not back. I know who is in charge, and who the leaders are that may oversee any particular ongoing emergency. In NY I never once looked to senators. Live in NJ for 30 years and quite a few governors, same story. Same with mayors. Was always the same folks to call/blame. Same with cable out or TV, we call those folks.

Really the only time I look to my senators is WTF are they doing in Washington and WTF are they doing to help me and my neighbors.
    I agree with the entire comment and double for the bolded

17. Likes icansayit, jimnyc liked this post