Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default US Army working on most powerful laser ever which vaporizes target

Daily Mail
    US Army working on most powerful laser ever which vaporizes target
    Dan Avery For Dailymail.com 2 hrs ago

The US Army is developing its most powerful laser yet that is a million times more powerful than current systems.

Most laser weapons fire a continuous beam until a target melts or catches fire, but the Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser (UPSL) for Army Platforms will emit short, pulse-like bursts.

Its being designed to reach a terawatt for a brief 200 femtoseconds, which is one quadrillionth of a second, compared to the 150-kilowatt maximum of current systems.

Even for that infinitesimal amount of time, the UPSL could vaporize the surface of a drone.

It's also thought such a burst would disrupt nearby electronics systems, making it a functional electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

The US military group is aiming to have a working prototype by August 2022.

Scrolls down for video

a large ship in the background: Pictured: The USS Ponce equipped with an XN-1 LaWS - Laser Warfare System.© Provided by Daily Mail Pictured: The USS Ponce equipped with an XN-1 LaWS - Laser Warfare System.
    The US military is investing heavily in laser weapons, which it aims to use to incinerate enemy drones, mortar rounds and missiles from afar with no loss of life.

Laser systems are better directed at 'small, fast-moving targets like drones or missiles,' according to New Scientist.

Against a human they can cause a variety of injuries — from mild skin irritation to permanent blindness — but aren't practical as deterrents.

According to a brief on the Small Business Innovation Research website, 'current high energy laser (HEL) weapon systems primarily consist of continuous wave (CW) laser sources with output powers in the kilowatts.'

Pictured: A beam director element of the Army's Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL)© Provided by Daily Mail Pictured: A beam director element of the Army's Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL)
    These systems either cause a target to 'burn and melt' or overwhelm its optical sensors.

Video: Supplies, cargo reach International Space Station (Reuters)

Pause
    Ad 00:12 - up next "Supplies, cargo reach International Space Station"
    Unmute
    Supplies, cargo reach International Space Station

The goal is to develop an ultrashort pulse laser (USPL) system with sufficient size, weight, power and ruggedization 'for use on Army relevant platforms,' the brief said.

The prototype would pack an extra punch over 'vanishingly short lengths of time,' according to New Scientist, producing 20 to 50 pulses per second, or 20 to 50 watts, 'around 10 times more than an LED light bulb.'

Unlike normal lasers, which spread out over long distances, a USPL can turn the air itself in a lens and keep its intensity intact.

'The sheer amount of intensity in a terawatt pulse laser is able to cause a non-linear effect in air resulting in a self-focusing filament,' according to the SBIR site. 'These filaments propagate without diffraction, providing a potential solution to the negative impact turbulence has on beam quality when propagating a conventional CW laser system.'

Rather than melting a drone, the USPL could vaporize its outer shell.

The military hopes it has other tricks in its arsenal, including blinding sensors, producing a powerful blast wave, and even generating an EMP that could 'overload a threat's internal electronics.'

'Differences in lethality as well as propagation mechanisms makes USPL technology one of particular interest for numerous mission sets.'

It is hoped a prototype laser system will be ready for demonstration by August 2022.

Talk of laser-powered weapons systems go back at least to the 1980s and President Ronald Reagan's 'Star Wars'-like Strategic Defense Initiative.

Under the Trump administration, the Army approved a new strategy for accelerating the rapid prototyping and fielding of a variety of directed-energy weapons.

Plans included missile-killing lasers and 'neutral beams' that bombard enemy projectiles with subatomic particles until they are rendered useless.

In October, Boeing and General Atomics announced a collaboration on a laser weapon capable of shooting missiles out of the sky.

The 'HEL' ( High Energy Laser) system will be equipped with 100-kilowatt beams that can be increased to 250 kilowatts to support a variety of air and missile defense applications.

Designed to 'defeat an increasing array of emerging threats' the laser will be able to be employed as a standalone system or integrated on-board ground vehicles, ships and aircraft, the companies said.

General Atomics will be responsible for developing the weapon's laser, batteries and thermal management system, while Boeing will create the beam director and the software necessary for precision tracking and physically directing the laser.

In May, the US Navy demonstrated its own Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD), by using it to down a drone at sea.

The LWSD, which operates at 150 kilowatts, fired on an unmanned aerial vehicle from atop the USS Portland, an amphibious transport dock ship.

The beam set the drone on fire and caused it to helplessly tumble out of the air.

In addition to disabling drones and small boats, the LWSD can blind enemy sensors while taking surveillance with integrated video cameras

The Navy is also developing a medium-strength laser, called the High Energy Laser and Integrated Optical-dazzler and Surveillance (HELIOS), that can reach 60 kilowatts and could be placed on a larger variety of ships, like destroyers.
    Guess what?

With their puppet Biden in -China will have the specs on it within hours of our military finalizing it..
    You can bet your last nickel on that. As that was what their boy Clinton did tooooooooooooooooo.....--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I remember years back and a great article and video that got into the .50 caliber and targeting terrorists. Keep that in mind, the people being targeted here were terrorists. Anyway, the shooter talked of how when a target was hit all you would see was a ton of 'red mist'. Being who the targets were, and me being me, of course I thought that was rather cool! But Jafar didn't find it equally as funny. Call me different, I don't have much sympathy for terrorists and them seeing a little red mist for their deeds.

But damn, now we have instant vaporization in quadrillionth of a second. Now THAT I have got to see to believe!! If someone can shoot a terrorist from miles off, and then hit their target and all I see is the terrorist going invisible into the afterlife? Awesome!! No blood and guts, and I can't imagine any suffering. Then again though, hitting a guy a few yards away, perhaps with an RPG, that has it's place too! -- or the famous guy about to take out a few of our troops doing exactly that, only to take a sweet head shot at the last second.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I remember years back and a great article and video that got into the .50 caliber and targeting terrorists. Keep that in mind, the people being targeted here were terrorists. Anyway, the shooter talked of how when a target was hit all you would see was a ton of 'red mist'. Being who the targets were, and me being me, of course I thought that was rather cool! But Jafar didn't find it equally as funny. Call me different, I don't have much sympathy for terrorists and them seeing a little red mist for their deeds.

But damn, now we have instant vaporization in quadrillionth of a second. Now THAT I have got to see to believe!! If someone can shoot a terrorist from miles off, and then hit their target and all I see is the terrorist going invisible into the afterlife? Awesome!! No blood and guts, and I can't imagine any suffering. Then again though, hitting a guy a few yards away, perhaps with an RPG, that has it's place too! -- or the famous guy about to take out a few of our troops doing exactly that, only to take a sweet head shot at the last second.
    I had almost forgotten about Jafar!
    He tried to hide his true nature under a cloak. Except my comments led him to toss off the cloak in anger.
    And he then revealed his true muslim nature and it was not the kind, peaceful ever so tolerant image he usually portrayed.
    Easy to get those kind to expose themselves, same way works on scheming liberals/dems.-Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 02-24-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Likes jimnyc, icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I had almost forgotten about Jafar!
    He tried to hide his true nature under a cloak. Except my comments led him to toss of the cloak in anger.
    And he then revealed his true muslim nature and it was not the kind, peaceful ever so tolerant image he usually portrayed.
    Easy to get those kind to expose themselves, same way works on scheming liberals/dems.-Tyr
    From day one I am not afraid to ask here or in person - do they condemn terrorism? Do they condemn Hamas? Condemn ISIS and basically other murderers? Will someone start making "excuses", outright admit their support or what answers will they give me?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Tyr....The Chinese already do have our secrets...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Guess what?

With their puppet Biden in -China will have the specs on it within hours of our military finalizing it..
    You can bet your last nickel on that. As that was what their boy Clinton did tooooooooooooooooo.....--Tyr
    Both Clinton, and Obama tried to appease the Chinese...by sending BIDEN there to meet with xi...

As for the laser weapons. Several years ago. Our AIR FORCE, NAVY and ARMY were starting to use those weapons. Even the Marines had vehicle mounted lasers tested from the flight deck of Amphibious ships.
    Anything you read, see, or hear about the Chinese, or Russians being ahead of us is all PROPAGANDA....and even IRAN is playing that game when they bragged about BOMBING and DESTROYING A U.S. AIRCRAFT CARRIER....(actually a model they built to use as a target). JUST REMEMBER...
    As ABE LINCOLN ONCE SAID....
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

10. Thanks LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post