Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default A 3rd vaccine about to come out?

BUT...

and it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Now, both the Pfizer and Moderna shots require 2 shots separated by nearly 30 days. And now, they are saying that even just one of those shots is about 92% effective. And then they only go up to like 94 and 95% effective - which overall is fantastic, and my preference would be one of these 2. Sucks to have to wait and go visit the doc twice, but that's one hell of an effective vaccine. Variants of the yearly flu and the vaccine are usually in the 40-60+% effective.

Now Johnson and Johnson are about to come out on the same emergency use authorization.

Fantastic to have another to the addition, and hopefully means more vaccinated and quicker. AND with this shot there will only be a need for one shot. But the others being mid-90% effective, and this one approximately 66-72% effective, that's a drop in 20-25%. And they may very well be likely to push out and into your arm whichever is available. And this one being so much easier to be stored, it's a good possibility...

--

US closer to its 3rd COVID vaccine — and this one only needs one shot. What to know

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration released a report on Wednesday that says the one-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine has a “favorable safety profile with no specific safety concerns,” clearing the way for emergency use authorization.

A committee of scientific experts will meet on Friday to discuss the vaccine’s safety and efficacy, as it did for the authorized Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna shots. If the group decides to recommend the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for FDA authorization, the shot will become the nation’s third COVID-19 vaccine, joining the fight against the pandemic spurred by more contagious variants.

The vaccine requires one dose and can be stored for three months at normal temperatures, easing distribution efforts and accelerating vaccination rates compared to the two-dose Pfizer and Moderna shots that require ultra cold refrigeration, which some regions lack access to.

Dr. Paul Stoffels, chief scientific officer for Johnson & Johnson, said in January that the results “represent a promising moment.”

“The potential to significantly reduce the burden of severe disease, by providing an effective and well-tolerated vaccine with just one immunization, is a critical component of the global public health response.”

The Phase 3 clinical trial, which included nearly 44,000 participants 18 years and older, found that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was overall 66% effective at preventing moderate to severe COVID-19 in the lab at least 28 days after getting jabbed.

In the U.S., the vaccine was about 72% effective at preventing moderate to severe COVID-19. However, that percentage dropped to 64% in South Africa, where a more contagious coronavirus variant has dominated all others. Still, the vaccine offered “similarly high” protection in both regions, including Brazil, where another more transmissible variant has emerged.

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have efficacy rates of about 95%.

Rest - https://news.yahoo.com/us-closer-3rd...170209906.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Not getting vaccine. I have 98% chance of recovering from covid without vaccine. The vaccine doesn't improve that percentage. Not keen on the mRNA used as delivery system. I've done research, talked to my medical professionals and not one has recommended I get it.

My body. My choice.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm with ya, Sassy.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

5. Thanks SassyLady, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Was I still out on my own, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to go pound sand with their freakin 90 Day Wonder vaccine. Unfortunately, personal circumstances dictate I be around people constantly exposed to it. I also am in the position where I have to frequent an establishment full of mostly elderly people and I would not want to be the cause of any harm to them.

And why is it once one has both shots one must remain faceless? Well, besides the fact that it is Government-mandated identity erasure? If we have to keep up the same scrap as if we never had a vaccination, I'm not seeing a lot of point to getting it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Not getting vaccine. I have 98% chance of recovering from covid without vaccine. The vaccine doesn't improve that percentage. Not keen on the mRNA used as delivery system. I've done research, talked to my medical professionals and not one has recommended I get it.

My body. My choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Was I still out on my own, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to go pound sand with their freakin 90 Day Wonder vaccine. Unfortunately, personal circumstances dictate I be around people constantly exposed to it. I also am in the position where I have to frequent an establishment full of mostly elderly people and I would not want to be the cause of any harm to them.

And why is it once one has both shots one must remain faceless? Well, besides the fact that it is Government-mandated identity erasure? If we have to keep up the same scrap as if we never had a vaccination, I'm not seeing a lot of point to getting it.
    Like Gunny, I have folks in the home to consider, and a couple of other factors. Otherwise I'm the same as Sassy. Not a big fan of the flu shot either as it has given me the flu twice. But I still let the doctors convince me here and there.

Just not entirely sure how to feel about all of this. I know that IF I have a choice, I want Pfizer/Moderna and not J&J, but by the time it's ok for me to get the shot I may not have any alternative. Not sure at all how it works or if you even have a choice.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks SassyLady, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Last edited by SassyLady; 02-27-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Interesting. I had not heard about this yet.

And like the other 2, the 3rd will be coming out without full approval as usual but under emergency use authorization. And it's a choice for us as well - for now. But a LOT of talk of making it mandatory which I honestly don't see happening. What I DO see happening, is making it difficult to live without - as so many things will then require it. Kind of like regular vaccines and kids going to school. But another vaccine and many more places than just school or traveling to other countries.

But what will change once things are rocking and perhaps a vaccine comes out that is approved in the usual manner? Will it change for us? And will it change for military personnel?

---

The Department of Defense (DoD) reported that almost 75 percent of military personnel turned down the Wuhan coronavirus vaccine. According to Pentagon officials, is the main reason COVID-19 vaccination rates are low. But despite these figures, the Pentagon denied it was covering up exact data.

Top military figures presented the data to the House Armed Services Committee in a Feb. 17 hearing. Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Director of Operations Maj. Gen. Jeff Taliaferro told lawmakers that vaccine rejection figures in the military were “somewhere in the two-thirds territory” and can vary by different groups. However, he noted that the data only indicates the initial findings and is not conclusive.

Taliaferro noted that some troops are refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19 because they are not required to take it. Getting the Wuhan coronavirus vaccine is voluntary for the armed forces and top military officials believe that is the right course of action to take. The National Guard Bureau Operations Director Maj. Gen. Steven Nordhaus later added that the National Guard had vaccine reception rates similar to that of the military.

The military’s vice director of operations told lawmakers that the Pentagon received about 916,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. Acting Defense Secretary for Homeland Defense and Global Security Robert Salesses added that 359,000 troops have received the first dose and 147,000 have completed their immunization schedule.

Pentagon officials present during the hearing remarked that the DoD would finish vaccinating military personnel, civilian staff and contractor workforce by late July or early August. They said vaccination would initially be voluntary because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not fully approved it yet. However, military leaders have encouraged personnel to get the jab. “We believe that, of course, the vaccine is the right thing to do. It’s clearly safe for service members, and we need to continue to educate our force and help them understand the benefits.”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Enter a new situation (for the purposes of this board). Was I still on active duty I would want the shots. Too much time in the can elbow to elbow. Only takes one person and everyone gets it. Troops aren't going to think about that but a leader has to. On a forward deployed ship you don't 10 days to spare while you hang out in the rack. You have to be able to board some means of conveyance to deploy off the ship within an hour. I don't want to be stuck in a gator or a frog with some covid positive chump coughing his lungs out in a cramped space.