Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Eddie Van Halen's son is speaking out about his late father's Grammys tribute.

Eddie Van Halen's son is speaking out about his late father's Grammys tribute.
    Following the star-studded ceremony on Sunday, March 14, Wolfgang Van Halen took to social media to express how he really felt about the In Memoriam segment. The special featured the legendary rock star who passed away last October at the age of 65 after a battle with throat cancer.

"The Grammys asked me to play 'Eruption' for the ‘In Memoriam' section and I declined. I don't think anyone could have lived up to what my father did for music but himself," Wolfgang shared on Monday, March 15. "It was my understanding that there would be an 'In Memoriam' section where bits of songs were performed for legendary artists that had passed."

"I didn't realize," he added, "that they would only show Pop for 15 seconds in the middle of 4 full performances for others we had lost."

History-Makers at the 2021 Grammys

The 29-year-old musician, who was formerly the Van Halen bass player, explained that he hoped for a more meaningful tribute to his father.

"What hurt the most was that he wasn't even mentioned when they talked about artists we lost in the beginning of the show," Wolfgang noted. "I know rock isn't the most popular genre right now, (and the academy does seem a bit out of touch) but I think it's impossible to ignore the legacy my father left on the instrument, the world of rock, and music in general. There will never be another innovator like him."

Wolfgang made it clear that he's "not looking to start some kind of hate parade here," however, he felt it was only right to "explain my side.
    "I know Pop would probably just laugh it off and say 'Ehh who gives a s--t? He was only about the music anyway. The rest didn't matter," the guitarist wrote, adding, "I'd love to get the opportunity to speak with The Recording Academy not only about the legacy of my father, but the legacy of the Rock genre moving forward. Thank you."

After a long battle with throat cancer, Eddie Van Halen passed away on Oct. 6, 2020.

The late star's son confirmed the heartbreaking news on social media, sharing, "I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning."

"He was the best father I could ever ask for," Wolfgang's statement continued. "Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken and I don't think I'll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop."

At this time, the Recording Academy has yet to comment on Wolfgang's post.
    They are too busssssssssssssssy, promoting black female artists dancing over half naked.
    And acting as if they are the greatest ever performers.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks MtnBiker thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Every year they get the memorials wrong somehow. How hard is it to find and collect and remember famous artists across the board? And I think folks will understand each year if some get a short memorial while others of notoriety get a little more time.

Eddie was that innovator. Something never seen before and I'm not sure when we'll see it again. He brought in a new era and a new sound.

His music is going to live on, regardless of the grammy crap.

And crap, yes...

This tells the whole story. It starts with Jay Z. Great rapper in his own right, but was smart and saved and invested as he earned his money. Got into the right deals here and there and owns or has stake in some serious operations out there! He is now worth more than a billion dollars as of last year! Then his wife, Beyonce, is an artist and damn famous in her own right. She just won her 27th or 28th grammy this weekend? And with the albums she sells and her touring and her own investments, she is just about worth $500 million dollars.

Suffice to say, that married couple together aren't hurting for money or things they want.

Oh, and now their daughter who is 8 years old wants to be an artist. They already were plugging her into Beyonce's songs and what not way back, and helping her with background sounds and helping her voice I'm sure. And I think their connections help a little. Ya think?

She already won a BET award last year for an "official song" of hers - which is really a video choreographed by others, she's barely in it, and barely sings or does anything. Yet, she was part of the award, for her "collaboration". And now just also won a grammy this weekend for the same thing.

Thing maybe Mom and Dad had a hand in helping?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes MtnBiker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that's really too bad. Eddie Van Halen did so much for music and the musical instrument business. But it seems Wolfgang is right, his dad never seemed too concerned with award shows and accolades. He has millions of fans that will continue to appreciate his music and contributions. As for the Grammys, its probably any Rock genre just doesn't fit in their current template. Rock music, especially Classic Rock isn't Woke. Not that Classic Rock is anti Woke, it is just from a different time. However, do the Grammy's have the best business model right now? The ratings were down over 50% from last year. 50 Percent! Whoa

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcber...h=624f78237b20

I can't help but think a lot of people are sick and tired of being preached to about whatever lefty caused is the flavor of the day by a bunch of celebrities playing dress up and patting each other on the back.

6. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Wow, that's really too bad. Eddie Van Halen did so much for music and the musical instrument business. But it seems Wolfgang is right, his dad never seemed too concerned with award shows and accolades. He has millions of fans that will continue to appreciate his music and contributions. As for the Grammys, its probably any Rock genre just doesn't fit in their current template. Rock music, especially Classic Rock isn't Woke. Not that Classic Rock is anti Woke, it is just from a different time. However, do the Grammy's have the best business model right now? The ratings were down over 50% from last year. 50 Percent! Whoa

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcber...h=624f78237b20

I can't help but think a lot of people are sick and tired of being preached to about whatever lefty caused is the flavor of the day by a bunch of celebrities playing dress up and patting each other on the back.
    Yeah, pretty sure that almost all rock bands and heavy metal bands don't give a flying F about what the grammy's think.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn, Eddie had more talent in his pinky than most of the nominated field of the 2021 Grammy's had collectively.

Last edited by MtnBiker; 03-16-2021 at 01:44 PM.

10. Thanks jimnyc, icansayit thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yup, because he did with a guitar what it was NOT designed to do. This is what is known as finger tapping.

He wasn't the first, and like he says, he never claimed to be the first. But he was the first to perfect it!! And that's true! And he knew it - which is why when the band first played gigs, he would turn his back to the crowd for his solos so that other guitarists couldn't see how he was doing it.

When others did it they usually just made a single melody and ran and repeat and rinse. Eddie actually played tunes while doing so!! And it wasn't just that he cranked the volume and made it make weird sounds, he did that and turned those sounds into awesome music!

12. Thanks icansayit, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Damn, Eddie had more talent in his pinky than most of the nominated field of the 2021 Grammy's had collectively.

Blows me away every time that I see, hear it.
    Eddie makes Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton take 2nd and 3rd place. imho..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

14. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, icansayit liked this post