Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Finally lost all the weight and reached my goal!

It's all so fuzzy in my head over the years, but I do know that my highest weight ever was 224lbs.

Being I am just shy of 5'9, that was unacceptable to me. I was fat. I wanted it gone and started and was trying everything. I joined the local gym and that's exactly where I recall measuring that weight. I tried and tried, and did get some muscle, abused the sauna - but the weight wasn't disappearing much.

I tried all different diets but it was tough, as I was simply hungry at times! Especially at night an hour or so after taking my medication, which is known to make you hungry. Ugggh. But I kept at it for awhile and lost some over time.

Then I started abusing my coffee and tried to go without eating and drinking coffee mostly during the day - but mixed in with little healthy snacks to keep me going and healthier to an extent. Of course ate a regular healthy dinner, and switched to different foods at night. And It was working!

And after a few years, heavy coffee diet and healthier snacks, and then healthy but appropriate dinner, and then healthier food at night. It wasn't easy and took a few years, but dropped from that 224lbs down to my now 155 or so!! I did drop down to 75lbs off, but felt I needed a few more pounds to hit the sweet spot at not skinny but no fat.

So if you haven't seen me in awhile, it's shocking to some, which feels good! But I am a skinny guy by nature. 5'9 but more like 5'8 1/2. Small framed guy.

Here's a calculator that shows what your ideal weight should be based on various formulas.

151-160 - and I'm now at 155. So I feel like I lost too much, but gotta remind myself that I wasn't supposed to be that fat guy for my small frame!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes Kathianne, icansayit, MtnBiker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Congrats, Jim! That’s a true accomplishment.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Likes icansayit, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I could have gotten you to lose 20 pounds or more, overnight.

A pack of bacon, solitude and a gravel bar halfway to the cabin. If you didn't do it right, you'd have lost all 244 pounds, though.

Side effects may include hungry bears and high speed sprinting.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Likes jimnyc, Abbey Marie, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's all so fuzzy in my head over the years, but I do know that my highest weight ever was 224lbs.

Being I am just shy of 5'9, that was unacceptable to me. I was fat. I wanted it gone and started and was trying everything. I joined the local gym and that's exactly where I recall measuring that weight. I tried and tried, and did get some muscle, abused the sauna - but the weight wasn't disappearing much.

I tried all different diets but it was tough, as I was simply hungry at times! Especially at night an hour or so after taking my medication, which is known to make you hungry. Ugggh. But I kept at it for awhile and lost some over time.

Then I started abusing my coffee and tried to go without eating and drinking coffee mostly during the day - but mixed in with little healthy snacks to keep me going and healthier to an extent. Of course ate a regular healthy dinner, and switched to different foods at night. And It was working!

And after a few years, heavy coffee diet and healthier snacks, and then healthy but appropriate dinner, and then healthier food at night. It wasn't easy and took a few years, but dropped from that 224lbs down to my now 155 or so!! I did drop down to 75lbs off, but felt I needed a few more pounds to hit the sweet spot at not skinny but no fat.

So if you haven't seen me in awhile, it's shocking to some, which feels good! But I am a skinny guy by nature. 5'9 but more like 5'8 1/2. Small framed guy.

Here's a calculator that shows what your ideal weight should be based on various formulas.

151-160 - and I'm now at 155. So I feel like I lost too much, but gotta remind myself that I wasn't supposed to be that fat guy for my small frame!
    OMG ... that's wonderful, Jim. So proud of you.

Wish I was as dedicated. I lost 40 lbs in 2018 ... and have put 30 back on. Not doing my normal activities (bowling, bocce ball) in 2020 didn't help with maintaining. Plus new med make me want to eat late at night. Used to not eat anything after 6 PM and not before 12 noon. Nice, easy 18 hour fast. New meds have to take with food ... plus I had a "don't give a shit" attitude in 2020. Now I need to work really hard before my vacation this year. Ugh!

Again, good on you for taking care of yourself.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

8. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Congrats Jim! WTG!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Likes jimnyc, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Congrats, Jim! That’s a true accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    OMG ... that's wonderful, Jim. So proud of you.

Wish I was as dedicated. I lost 40 lbs in 2018 ... and have put 30 back on. Not doing my normal activities (bowling, bocce ball) in 2020 didn't help with maintaining. Plus new med make me want to eat late at night. Used to not eat anything after 6 PM and not before 12 noon. Nice, easy 18 hour fast. New meds have to take with food ... plus I had a "don't give a shit" attitude in 2020. Now I need to work really hard before my vacation this year. Ugh!

Again, good on you for taking care of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Congrats Jim! WTG!
    Whoooooaaaa, I appreciate it folks! But wasn't any great deed I accomplished here. I screwed up my eating habits during the day and taught myself how to eat late at night! Sure, I lost the weight and met my goal, while drinking an Olympic size pool worth of coffee! My body was revved up and moving even while sitting down at times.

And my bladder got mad at me and expressed himself a few hundred times. And I have developed a lovely habit of waking several times during my sleep, luckily though not starting til like 4 or 5 or 6am. Probably added in some prostate enlargement!

And I simply don't get hungry during the day anymore much. Coffee coffee coffee coffee, gimme more coffee!!

I'm actually too skinny now for my liking. Would actually like to get backup to like 170 even or so, and then magically keep it there!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is really great Jim. Weight loss is not easy to do. I know I've been trying to trim a few pounds myself. Reading your story is a real encouragement. Well done.

13. Likes Abbey Marie, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    That is really great Jim. Weight loss is not easy to do. I know I've been trying to trim a few pounds myself. Reading your story is a real encouragement. Well done.
    Absolutely nothing appeared to be working. Not working out, not diets, not bike rides or long walks... only a strict coffee diet started peeling them off. And I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. So much caffeine daily is not good for you! I'll drink coffee from when I first wake until like 3pm to keep me going. Then the peeing, bladder and prostate issues.

I'd be happy if it were just a few pounds, and I would also recommend it! So long as not over 70 or so as you don't wanna mess with the prostate. But if someone drinks coffee, it's actually easy to "overdo" it and stay away from food that way. It is NOT the way to go about dieting, but it does work, or did for me. It's probably similar to the other fads that sell that turn out to be little more than just caffeine or speed pills of some kind. And you won't find many out there recommending doing this. But the caffeine and avoiding most foods did work for me, better or worse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I sure do love my coffee, so it would be easy to drink a little more coffee and eat a little less. I'm of the mind to do something similar to Sassy, the 18 or 16 hour fasting and just cutting down on the snacks.

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Well I sure do love my coffee, so it would be easy to drink a little more coffee and eat a little less. I'm of the mind to do something similar to Sassy, the 18 or 16 hour fasting and just cutting down on the snacks.
    Drinking more coffee was the easy part. I certainly didn't need much encouragement there! But even with all that speeding me up it still took awhile before I could refrain properly from too much food! It went from normal, to a little less, to replacing eating crap with eating a little better. Then to eating nothing, then to learn to eat anyway and shove in some healthier foods. Hard to eat when you don't feel hungry,

18. Likes Kathianne liked this post