Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Would Duante Wright Be Alive if He Hadn't Resisted

"If he had not resisted arrest to begin with maybe none of this ever happens" - and today words as such get you in trouble. Labeled a racist.

Truth is, that may be correct. And in many instances.

Not resisting, giving in, not getting physical in the slightest. Listen to the officer & ask questions when necessary & politely explain yourself if you think it would help. If not, or not working, then politely shut the F up. It's true that anything you say can and will be used against you. So clam up and handle it where you are supposed to and where it matters - in court.

This is not to imply the police may be correct or you were clearly not in the wrong. It's just the wrong place to argue and can only lead to negatives.

* A video camera is a must these days. If you get into an accident and someone hits you - you are covered. If there is any type of road rage against you, it's now recorded. And should you get pulled over by the police, prior to the pull over and during is al on video. I recommend a dual camera, front facing and in the cab as well. Mine has like 2 little columns that come down, each with a camera. The internal points straight back to cover the most area. If ever pulled over you can quickly turn it a tad to record the window area. This is mine, the one on the left is the one I can move 180:

** Back to this case.

He STILL should not have been shot, IMO. Especially when it's more or less known the taser was meant and it was a mistake.

---

Would Duante Wright Be Alive if He Hadn't Resisted, if the Cop Had More Training, Both, or Neither?

No one will ever know because people are too politically tribal and reductive for productive conversation on policing

Apparently I missed a new rule that states you can forcefully resist arrest for felony warrants for illegal possession of a firearm. Expired tags and a felony warrant for a firearm was what brought Minneapolis cops into contact with Duante Wright, before video shows he resisted arrest and was inadvertently shot by an officer who thought she’d grabbed her taser instead of her pistol. This is body cam footage, content warning:

A few initial thoughts:

1) Don’t resist arrest. Don’t help to escalate a situation by not getting out of your vehicle or by jerking your arms out of cuffs when cops are serving a warrant for felony possession and fighting with them while trying to get into your car to flee. Contest the warrant in court. Contest the entire idea of detainment in court, if you want. Cops enforce the laws that politicians write. If you dislike the law and want to change it, fighting with a cop on the street won’t change anything except maybe for your existence on this earth. If you want to contest policy, do it with politicians or in a court of law. Police can’t do a damn thing about changing the law or policy right there with you on the street. Whether to not you oppose or support the issue you are contesting is irrelevant to the goal of getting all parties on their way as peacefully as possible.

2) Cops should know the difference between their tasers and their guns. Thankfully, most do. Thankfully, situations like what we saw on that video are rare. The state of duress counts, true, but this is why training exists. We have a lot of good cops out there, (ignoring those who arrest anyone over a lockdown order or seize firearms in a red flag situation that robs a respondent of due process in ex parte proceedings at the moment). My retired Navy SEAL friend always says that “people do not rise to the occasion but instead fall back on their highest level of training.” This is true. He’s traveled around the country training local police departments on best response tactics, discernment and deescalation training.

I’d like to know how often this department trains and how they carry tasers — whether or not tasers are placed on an officer’s non-dominate side so as to avoid weapon confusion. This portion of the video shows the yellow grip of the taser on his left side:

I’d also like to know department policy on taser use and whether any of the other officers grabbed their sidearms as well (it didn’t seem so in the video).

We don’t live in a police state, so we can both “back the blue” and criticize bad enforcement of laws or overreaching policies related to enforcement when situations arise. “Backing the blue” means backing good men and women who carry out good policing. It isn’t a carte blanche endorsement of every policing decision, including bad ones. Anyone who believes that we forfeit your support of police if we criticize rare incidents should check in with us all about such a position if they’re ever visited by the authorities out enforcing Joe Biden’s constitution-abridging gun control policies.

Does Wright’s resisting absolve the officer involved for grabbing her gun instead of her taser? No, nor does it mean that she shouldn’t face applicable penalty, including charges. Her lack of training doesn’t justify Wright’s resistance, either.

#1 and #2 above can simultaneously coexist. They are not mutually exclusive.

Rest - https://danaloesch.substack.com/p/wo...be-alive-if-he
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

As I offer what I think is reasonable advice, I then come across this.

So you never know how an interaction is going to take place. Instead of doing something dumb like I said, in maybe cooperating and fighting it out in court later - Chelsea Handler comes up with perhaps a better idea yet - just resist and get shot.

Why would she say something as stupid as this? She doesn't like the news, disagrees with the police or whatever - so goes all in as an attention whore to make headlines. But instead of making headlines here and there for saying something intelligent or doing something good - she find asinine ways.

And if someone were dumb enough to listen to her, it would very well cost them their life.

---

Chelsea Handler: Might as Well Resist Cops If You’re Black, They’ll Shoot You Anyway

The dumbest take currently on Twitter seems to belong to comedian Chelsea Handler’s account. Though what can you expect from someone whose most sophisticated political contribution involved her removing her clothes to entice people to vote. Still it’s shocking that she recently encouraged minorities to not comply with police as there’s already a high chance they’ll get shot anyways.

Yeah it’s crazy alright.

In response to the fatal shooting of 20 year-old African American man Duante Wright, at the hands of Minneapolis police, Handler did what her and her fellow Hollywood colleagues do best in the wake of tragedy and that is make a bunch of assumptions about the event and make it MUCH WORSE for everyone else.

Though people better pump the brakes on taking Handler’s latest point seriously, cause it might get them in serious trouble with the law, or worse, killed. The woman tweeted, “Why would any person of color ever comply with a police officer when there is a 50/50 shot of getting ‘accidentally’ shot?”

Well that’s quite the attitude. Are we trying to motivate minorities to obstruct justice or resist arrest?

Hopefully not. She’s probably just making a cynical and very hyperbolic point about police brutality. But it’s a pretty irresponsible thing to say, not least because her facts are scary wrong. There is no way in hell that half of the minorities who are arrested each year are shot. According to the NAACP, there are “between 900 and 1,100 people who are shot and killed by police in the United States each year.”

Let’s compare that to the more than 10 million arrests performed in the United States in 2019 for example. Unless the amount of people shot and killed each year was multiplied 5000 times, that number wouldn’t even be remotely close to a 50% chance of getting shot. Well unless the amount of people getting shot and not dying is actually an altogether different and more massive number, but who are we kidding?

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...e-black-theyll
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would Duante Wright be alive if he hadn’t resisted? - Probably
    Did the police officer make a tragic mistake? - It seems so.

Here is a list of 161 people murdered in Chicago since the beginning of the year, only four months.

https://graphics.suntimes.com/homicides/

Who is marching for their justice? What national media is having nightly broadcasts with talking heads telling viewers what they think? Where are the riots for these 161 people? Which Footlooker is being looted in reaction to these 161 people dying?

I think stories like Duante are sad and tragic, but they are promoted to encourage angry, division and hate. Putting all of the blame on cops is not going to help Duante or the people being killed in Chicago.

4. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I read an article that basically said IF there wasn't a micro control law regarding hanging anything on rear view mirror, there wouldn't have been the stop.

After that it was on the driver. He had the warrant outstanding; he chose to resist. Then it became gun/taser problem.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill