Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Biden Admin Announces ‘Strong Support’ For DC Statehood Bill

Congress oversees Washington D.C. and has "exclusive jurisdiction".

D.C. has been that way since 1790. And this was and is part of the US Constitution, and then the "Residence Act of 1790", brokered by those pesky names that always pop up - James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton.

We know that the Constitution isn't quite as respected by democrats. In fact, they will gladly crap on it and tear it up to get what they want.

---

Biden Admin Announces ‘Strong Support’ For DC Statehood Bill, Says 51st State ‘Long Overdue’

President Joe Biden’s administration announced “strong support” for a Democratic push for D.C. statehood in a statement on Tuesday, putting its weight behind a long-time dream of the Democratic Party.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to bring the bill, H.R. 51, to a vote this week, where it will almost certainly pass. The bill faces much more robust opposition in the Senate, however. If signed into law, the bill would create “Washington, Douglass Commonwealth” as the 51st state while maintaining a separate federal district.

“For far too long, the more than 700,000 people of Washington, D.C. have been deprived of full representation in the U.S. Congress. This taxation without representation and denial of self-governance is an affront to the democratic values on which our Nation was founded,” the administration argues, adding that the representation is “long overdue.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/20/b...ngton-capital/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It is amazing how unfamiliar with or contemptuous of the Constitution Joe Biden and the rabid Democrats are.

The Constitution explicitly states that Washington DC is not to be part of any state and is administered by Congress. I guess they are trying to get around that by having the proposal keep a few blocks around the Capitol as the national capitol, but that is semantics and I hope the Supreme Court would step in.

I would also point out that the land for DC was donated by the state of Maryland expressly to be part of the national capitol. If the land were ever to not be part of the capitol anymore then it would have to be returned to the state of Maryland. And all the residents in that area can start paying a state income tax, like the rest of us.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

4. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It is amazing how unfamiliar with or contemptuous of the Constitution Joe Biden and the rabid Democrats are.

The Constitution explicitly states that Washington DC is not to be part of any state and is administered by Congress. I guess they are trying to get around that by having the proposal keep a few blocks around the Capitol as the national capitol, but that is semantics and I hope the Supreme Court would step in.

I would also point out that the land for DC was donated by the state of Maryland expressly to be part of the national capitol. If the land were ever to not be part of the capitol anymore then it would have to be returned to the state of Maryland. And all the residents in that area can start paying a state income tax, like the rest of us.
    It's a power grab and I think you're right about Maryland having the land returned

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Likes Abbey Marie, Russ liked this post