58 Post(s)

Default Mouseketeer and 'The Rifleman' actor Johnny Crawford dies at 75

USA TODAY
    Mouseketeer and 'The Rifleman' actor Johnny Crawford dies at 75
    Elise Brisco, USA TODAY 5 hrs ago
    Comments
    You Should Be Scanned for Lung Cancer if You've Done This, Panel Says
    Attack On Indian Man In Brooklyn Caught On Camera

Actor Johnny Crawford, known for his role as Mark McCain as a child actor on "The Rifleman," has died. He was 75.

According to the actor's website, he died Thursday with his wife by his side after battling Alzheimer's disease and contracting COVID-19.

"It is with great sadness that we share the news of Johnny Crawford’s passing," the website posted. "We are grateful for the outpouring of love and support from friends and fans around the world."

Crawford rose to stardom after being cast in the ABC series "The Rifleman" which ran for five seasons. Crawford played the son of a western rancher Lucas McCain (Chuck Connors) who was also a union Civil War veteran. His role in "The Rifleman" led him to be Emmy-nominated for best supporting actor in a dramatic series.

Johnny Crawford wearing a suit and tie: Johnny Crawford attends the Museum of Television and Radio Cocktail Party on September 9, 2004 at The Museum of Television and Radio, in Beverly Hills, California.© Stephen Shugerman, Getty Images Johnny Crawford attends the Museum of Television and Radio Cocktail Party on September 9, 2004 at The Museum of Television and Radio, in Beverly Hills, California.
    Before playing young McCain, Crawford was one of the first Mouseketeers on the Mickey Mouse Club. He also made appearances in many TV series aired in the 1950s including "The Lone Ranger," "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Loretta Young Show."

The actor also worked in music. In 1962, Crawford's song "Cindy's Birthday" peaked on the Billboard charts at No. 8. He is also credited with performing the song "Easy Come Easy Go" featured on 2004 film "Hellboy."

Friends in entertainment remembered Crawford on Twitter as an "inspiration" and a "dear friend."

"My dear friend #JohnnyCrawford just passed away. I pray for his wife Charlotte as she was by his side. Johnny was a real cowboy and will be greatly missed," wrote "Happy Days" actor Scott Baio.

"How the West Was Won" actor Bruce Boxleitner wrote: "@johnnycrawford was one of the kindest guys I ever met. I never heard a cross word pass his lips. An inspiration to me as a boy and a friend of mine since the 80s."

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Mouseketeer and 'The Rifleman' actor Johnny Crawford dies at 75

REMINDS ME HOW OLD I AM ..
    I was watching him as he was a kid in the show rifleman, I was only 8 years younger than he,--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks icansayit, Mr. P thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Me too! So many actors from our generation dying off these days.

Had a crush on him when he was on Rifleman. Really cute.

R.I.P. Johnny!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post