The Drive
Toyota’s Hydrogen-Powered Engine Sounds Pretty Damn Good

By Kristin V. Shaw, The Drive 8 hrs ago
Toyota is jumping into the fray, releasing a video that […]
Toyota is jumping into the fray, releasing a video that highlights the sound of its hydrogen-powered engine. Hosting the powerplant is a modified Corolla Sport with a turbo three-banger currently preparing for the Super Taikyu Series' 24-hour event at Fuji in a few weeks (May 21-23). It sounds remarkably similar to a gas-powered engine, making my rumbling-engine-loving heart go pitter-patter.

a police car parked in a parking lot© Toyota
In the video published by Toyota Times, driver Hiroaki Ishiura says, "It's not as different as I expected. It feels like a normal engine."

Normal, that is, with the familiar vroom vroom but atypical in that it doesn't emit CO2. As Hazel reported a week ago, however, burning hydrogen still produces greenhouse gas and nitrous oxide.

Hydrogen as a solution to environmental concerns has a number of challenges currently, including low energy efficiency, production difficulty, and storage struggles. Even the U.S. Department of Energy says, "Applicable codes and standards for hydrogen storage systems and interface technologies, which will facilitate implementation/commercialization and ensure safety and public acceptance, have not been established." In other words, it's a pain
Is this the future car??
I think it looks to be better than the electric car-with that huge battery. --Tyr