Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Default DuckDuckGo

Why do I have to download app from Google Play? I thought the whole point of DDG was to get away from Google?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Sassy....

CONGRESS doesn't want us to know they SUPPORT the GOOGLE Monopoly. That's how they have almost EVERY direction the INTERNET goes...under their control.
    This is GOOGLE'S main campus. But they have thousands of other buildings where their SERVERS run 24/7 365...into ETERNITY around the World.

I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

You should be able to add it to Brave directly from their site :

www.duckduckgo.com
    Last edited by NightTrain; 05-11-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    You should be able to add it to Brave directly from their site :

www.duckduckgo.com
    What is Brave?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    What is Brave?
    You're not using the Brave browser? What browser are you using?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

What is Brave?
    Duckduckgo is a website like google.com that folks go to in order to do their searches, and this way Google doesn't "remember all".

But you still need a browser to use, like Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox.... and folks are using the Brave Browser for privacy, or another alternative. Then just bookmark and use DDG one you open that browser.

If you are being asked to download an app.... Are you on your phone or computer?

If on your phone, it may be directing you to a one time install from the Google Play store to download and browser with their own browser. That's actually safe to do. If on a PC, it's likely asking you to install an "extension" for that browser.

To make things easier:

1 - if you go to https://duckduckgo.com/ - just under the search bar, you can click there on "Add DuckDuckGo to Brave" if that's your browser (it will show browser name there). This extension is basically a bookmark to their website. And I think you can search directly from the extension.

2 - if you're on a Android phone, then downloading the app from the store is then using their own "Privacy Browser". The link is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Start with what Rick asked though - what Browser are you using? When do you get that request? And is this on your PC or cell phone?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Excellent explanation, Jim. The confusing thing is that DuckDuckGo is both a search engine and an browser app. (DuckDuckGo is also a Chrome browser extension, and some people say it is also a dessert topping)

DDG the search engine and DDG the browser app both respect your privacy, something that Google and Facebook make a lot of money for NOT doing.

So Sassy definitely wants to use the DuckDuckGo search engine. The main question is if she want to use the DuckDuckGo browser app to connect to the DuckDuckGo search engine, or if she alternatively wants to use the Brave browser app to connect to the DuckDuckGo search engine. Either is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Duckduckgo is a website like google.com that folks go to in order to do their searches, and this way Google doesn't "remember all".

But you still need a browser to use, like Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox.... and folks are using the Brave Browser for privacy, or another alternative. Then just bookmark and use DDG one you open that browser.

If you are being asked to download an app.... Are you on your phone or computer?

If on your phone, it may be directing you to a one time install from the Google Play store to download and browser with their own browser. That's actually safe to do. If on a PC, it's likely asking you to install an "extension" for that browser.

To make things easier:

1 - if you go to https://duckduckgo.com/ - just under the search bar, you can click there on "Add DuckDuckGo to Brave" if that's your browser (it will show browser name there). This extension is basically a bookmark to their website. And I think you can search directly from the extension.

2 - if you're on a Android phone, then downloading the app from the store is then using their own "Privacy Browser". The link is:

Start with what Rick asked though - what Browser are you using? When do you get that request? And is this on your PC or cell phone?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

11. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    You're not using the Brave browser? What browser are you using?
    Google?
    Chrome?
    Last edited by SassyLady; 05-13-2021 at 02:03 AM.

13. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

To make things easier:

From my galaxy tablet I get this when I click on your link to DDG

Screenshot_20210513-000415_Chrome.jpg

15. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I would urge you to download the Brave browser for your devices, then when you're setting it up select DuckDuckGo as your primary search engine.

Brave and DDG will vastly reduce your footprint around the interwebs... I have a real bad taste in my mouth with Big Tech these days.

Chrome, Edge & Firefox are not to be trusted. And neither is Google or Facebook.

17. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

From my galaxy tablet I get this when I click on your link to DDG
    In the link I gave you above for the privacy browser - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

If that's what you're seeing from that link, then you need to then click on that Google Play store link. They're just hosting it and you're ok to download from them.

Alternatively, you can click on this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

And that will lead you to install the Brave Browser Rick is speaking of. This takes Chrome & Firefox out of the picture and better privacy. Both will be similar for what you're looking for. Brave is fully designed as a privacy browser as well, and then you can just go to DDG when you want using Brave in order to do web searches from their website.

--- the procedure is a tad different if you're on a desktop computer. But when on a phone/tablet, we have to use "Apps" and such. I think you would be ok for browsing and searching with either browser above - and just remember that in addition to the browser you choose, you still need to do web searches from DuckDuckGo.com website!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sass - I see the image you shared was from duckduckgo.com....

Since you're on a tablet, make sure that you download a browser from one of the play.google links, and not from DDG website.