Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

You picked two greats, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    A lot of really good guitar players never really did get the recognition they deserve. Frank Zappa is one as well as Stephen Stills (CSNY). Another good one is John Frusciante (Red Hot Chilie Peppers).

Stephen Stills - Tree Top Flyer
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUmIO_MG5IU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUmIO_MG5IU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

One of my favorites- Dicky Betts
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIIlOh32St8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIIlOh32St8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good one and the video doesn't hurt either.

A lot of really good guitar players never really did get the recognition they deserve. Frank Zappa is one as well as Stephen Stills (CSNY). Another good one is John Frusciante (Red Hot Chilie Peppers).

One of my favorites- Dicky Betts
    Dicky Betts, writer of one of the finest songs ever recorded......In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed!
    The live version with the intact Allman Brothers Band on "Live at Filmore East"...........doesn't get much better than that, all 13 minutes 0 seconds of it. Brings you through all emotions in one song.....nearly perfect, better than original recording. I saw them in Houston before Duane and Barry died, super night! Whipping Post is also a favorite. If you have ever been wronged in a relationship, you can't help but relate...... again every emotion, from the deepest sadness to the rebellious hatred to the hope of something new. Live at Filmore would be one of the albums I would choose to be stuck with on a deserted island along with 4 Way Street by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash at Red Rocks near Denver around 1998, definitely in the top 5 concerts I have ever attended. They were soooo on that night. Even overweight and sucking oxygen between songs, Stills was all over the stage and his playing was flawless, Nash and Crosby had never sounded better and the incredible beauty of Red Rocks made it complete.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For any of you who have not had the pleasure of attending a concert at Red Rocks I strongly advise checking their schedual and pick a band that you would like to see and book it in advance, great thing to do when visiting Colorado. Then take a trip up I-70 and take the exit to Winter Park, follow that to Rocky Mountain National Park across into Estes Park, back through Boulder and on to Denver(take all day for this loop). Stop at the El Taco De Mexico at 6th and Santa Fe and have a Burrito Pastor smothered(don't miss one of these). Also, "Little Shanghai Chinese Restaurant" on Broadway has an amazing dish called Jalapeno Chicken, definitely get a bowl of their Hot and Sour soup to go with it.
    Last edited by Sitarro; 10-21-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    For any of you who have not had the pleasure of attending a concert at Red Rocks I strongly advise checking their schedual and pick a band that you would like to see and book it in advance, great thing to do when visiting Colorado. Then take a trip up I-70 and take the exit to Winter Park, follow that to Rocky Mountain National Park across into Estes Park, back through Boulder and on to Denver(take all day for this loop). Stop at the El Taco De Mexico at 6th and Santa Fe and have a Burrito Pastor smothered(don't miss one of these). Also, "Little Shanghai Chinese Restaurant" on Broadway has an amazing dish called Jalapeno Chicken, definitely get a bowl of their Hot and Sour soup to go with it.
    I would absolutely LOVE to see a show at Red Rocks. They do a pretty good festival there every summer.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Dicky Betts, writer of one of the finest songs ever recorded......In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed!
    The live version with the intact Allman Brothers Band on "Live at Filmore East"...........doesn't get much better than that, all 13 minutes 0 seconds of it. Brings you through all emotions in one song.....nearly perfect, better than original recording. I saw them in Houston before Duane and Barry died, super night! Whipping Post is also a favorite. If you have ever been wronged in a relationship, you can't help but relate...... again every emotion, from the deepest sadness to the rebellious hatred to the hope of something new. Live at Filmore would be one of the albums I would choose to be stuck with on a deserted island along with 4 Way Street by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash at Red Rocks near Denver around 1998, definitely in the top 5 concerts I have ever attended. They were soooo on that night. Even overweight and sucking oxygen between songs, Stills was all an over the stage and his playing was flawless, Nash and Crosby had never sounded better and the incredible beauty of Red Rocks made it complete.

I can't say enough good things about Stephen Stills. I love his voice, guitar playing - everything. Never had the chance to see any of them perform, including Neil Young.

I did get to see the Allman Brothers a few yrs back - sans Dickie Betts. Without him, the show was a real let down. I missed him in Toronto where they were playing with Rusted Root.

Red Rocks looks like a beautiful place to take in a festival. If I'm ever wealthy, I think one of the first things I'd do is take off for two or three months during the summer and attend every festival I can find!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can't say enough good things about Stephen Stills. I love his voice, guitar playing - everything. Never had the chance to see any of them perform, including Neil Young.

I did get to see the Allman Brothers a few yrs back - sans Dickie Betts. Without him, the show was a real let down. I missed him in Toronto where they were playing with Rusted Root.

Red Rocks looks like a beautiful place to take in a festival. If I'm ever wealthy, I think one of the first things I'd do is take off for two or three months during the summer and attend every festival I can find!
    If you go to Red Rocks, get there early. It's a killer hike from your car, it's all uphill and at over 6,000 feet, air is scarce. It's also a good idea to pack in a light weight goretex rain suit or at least a pancho because the weather is always unpredictable. That being said, it is an incredible place. I always tried to get a seat by the mixing board where the view was good and the sound was best.

I went to a double bill that featured Sarah McLachlan and The Chieftans, each played a seperate set and then McLachlan joined the Chieftans for the final set....... there was a steady, light rain through the last half of the concert and nobody even considered leaving. A truely magical evening. The Chieftans had guys that had been playing together for over 40 years and were outstanding, when Mclaughlan joined them it was complete.

There are a couple of DVDs that have been shot there that give you some idea what it's like.....Stevie Nicks and U-2, both are great videos.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'd love to go to Red Rocks! Reminds me of the "Gorge" here in WA:

Simply one of the best venues in the country. The sun sets behind the stage every night and you are overlooking the Columbia River Gorge.
    It's easier to buy gear than talent.