Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Must see this video on air-car!!!

The derby by a dozen or more companies — Hyundai and GM, and Stellantis, Mercedes, Audi, you name it — to launch a "flying car" has not really involved anything you'd call a "car" that could fly. Instead, they are pursuing electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft (eVTOL) that could taxi paying passengers from point A to point B, after which those folks would need to catch an Uber or something. But recently, a machine called AirCar actually performed both tasks implied by that name — flying between two airports in Slovakia, then transmogrifying into a road car and driving off.

a fighter jet sitting on top of a runway
    It's best just to show you, in this video posted yesterday:

Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
    The AirCar prototype is built by a Slovakian company, Klein Vision, which launched the vehicle from Nitra and landed 35 minutes later in Bratislava. Then, the eponymous inventor and pilot Stefan Klein folded the aircraft's wings and tucked its tail, a transition that takes about three minutes. And poof, it's a car. Which actually drove off, to the applause of a throng of well-wishers.

Video: First flight of full-size ‘flying race car’ (Reuters)

First flight of full-size ‘flying race car’
    Klein is said to have been working on a series of prototypes for 30 years, and has racked up 40 air hours. This was the craft's 142nd landing, but its first inter-city flight. During its time in the air, the craft cruised at around 90 knots (105 mph). Klein said it has flown to 8,200 feet and has made 45-degree banking turns during testing, though it did nothing flashy on this outing. It's powered by a 160-horsepower BMW engine and a simple fixed-pitch propeller. Like many small aircraft these days, it also has a ballistic parachute, just in case.

Klein says next up is a 300-horsepower model with a variable-pitch propeller. He says it will be capable of cruising at 160 knots to a range of over 600 miles, will achieve full commuter certification from European aviation regulators and will also be street-legal.

The challenge there, as always in achieving the "flying car" dream, is to balance the needs of an aircraft, not the least of which is lightness, with what it takes to be certified as roadworthy, particularly safety equipment and crashworthiness that can add a weight penalty. In the video, the AirCar prototype certainly looks like a car — a heavy car even — when it's airborne. Compare it to the chase planes alongside it. Although it is kind of cute how the rear wheels keep spinning when it's up there.

Also, like any small plane, the AirCar needs a runway to take off and land. The eVTOL approach being taken by the major players eliminates the challenges of being an automobile, or of being limited to runways. At least one startup, Terrafugia in Boston, however, has also spent years pursing the air-car twofer. Its vehicle, the Terrafugia Transition, earned an FAA light-sport airworthiness certification earlier this year.

Absolutely a truly astounding video!

That model shown has completed 142 successful landings....

To me this looks like it is a great design.
    And one that just may, takeoff-- no pun intended.--Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 07-02-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

My guess is, Jim is going to be wanting one of these.
    I wonder what the cost is going to be???--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

No offense Tyr, but I really, really, really hope this doesn’t become available. I want to look up in the sky and just see the sky. And the birds. We are already so congested and over-populated, it’s the one place we can look to feel nature and solitude no matter how crowded it is where we are located.

It’s probably a good thing that I will be gone before this and human-like robots become popular.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    No offense Tyr, but I really, really, really hope this doesn’t become available. I want to look up in the sky and just see the sky. And the birds. We are already so congested and over-populated, it’s the one place we can look to feel nature and solitude no matter how crowded it is where we are located.

It’s probably a good thing that I will be gone before this and human-like robots become popular.
    No offense taken...
    I fully agree with you!
    I am intrigued by the inventiveness of mankind and the technology, but as to my ever wanting a flying car-- hell no.
    To me that would be just another way to die, instead of car wreck, it would be car crash with a double meaning, if you will..
    Besides airports have car rental readily available....
    In addition, the aircar needs a runway for both takeoff and landings.
    I like the safer method myself. And millions of flying cars can you imagine one flying into a 20. 30, 40 or more storied building.
    Or drunk drivers...??--Tyr

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

OH, HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!

As a Professional Pilot for the last 47 years there is NO WAY I want to see IDIOT car drivers that we all see everyday on the road, in the sky.

Talk about an accident waiting to happen!

Just sayin
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

8. Likes Abbey Marie, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I think it's cool, if used perhaps solely by certified pilots. As cool as it sounds, not sure how long before we'll ever see publicly accessible flying machines/cars/devices. I can imagine a billion different problems arising!

I've heard people speak of delivery drones, perhaps by Amazon - as "Skeet shooting with prizes" as a hobby for some! Of course not yet anyway... But imagine if someone decides to take issue with one flying? Or worse, several up there and then road rage! LOL The pit maneuver will never be the same again! And like Mr. P said - and I can tell you as someone from NJ and now in NY and having driven in many other states - the majority of people are too stupid to drive. And now place them in flying vehicles?

I don't know about me wanting one. Me and heights never really did get along with one another!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock