Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Hands free driving?

So I'm looking for a hands free app for Android, or similar. Anything but the built-in stereo. Whether an Android app or a separate hardware device or anything anyone knows of or uses.

First off, the reason I don't want to use the stereo in my truck. The volume doesn't like to be controlled. Sometimes I would like it out loud and other times privacy, if possible. And mainly for texting and not for phone calls. I've always got my earbuds on when driving so calls are easy. But when a text comes in I can't find an alternative that will automatically read it out loud for me. And in addition, being able to easily reply by voice. And then I use the Android built in messenger, I use Whatsapp, Signal & Viber. (don't ask). So they all act differently and they don't all like easy voice writing without first opening the app and then the message and lining everything up. Regular messenger and I can just say "send text" and then it asks to who. It just gets messy.

It would be nice if it just read any message coming in. Or a made up example - say a button appears with all of them on the desktop lets say, and then one click to read anything. Grasping for straws here.

Most hands free crap either fully disable your phone, or airplane mode, or auto-reply that you're driving... But sometimes you need the message or you need to reply.

As my eyes are getting worse I feel less and less comfortable with even trying to simply open a message and read it. So trying to do the right thing here...

Anyone else know of any options? And I know @NightTrain will try to convert me to the stereo option, but with various apps being used, and the desire for privacy, it's really not an option for me.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I like the stereo option in Shar's Jeep. It'll read the texts out loud for you, as well.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

3. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I like the stereo option in Shar's Jeep. It'll read the texts out loud for you, as well.
    Will it gimme an option to read a message or not? (sometimes you want privacy and other times it doesn't matter)

Does the volume control operate properly?

Will it read messages from multiple applications?

Will it allow for speaking to text from those applications?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Yeah, you push a button on the dash and it starts reading it. It's kind of funny to make the robot cuss.

I control the volume of it with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. Just bluetooth to the stereo from your phone and it works great, no need for any apps. You've got a new truck, so I'm sure you've got all that.

I don't know if it does voice-to-text, I'll check it out when Shar gets back home.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Yeah, you push a button on the dash and it starts reading it. It's kind of funny to make the robot cuss.

I control the volume of it with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. Just bluetooth to the stereo from your phone and it works great, no need for any apps. You've got a new truck, so I'm sure you've got all that.

I don't know if it does voice-to-text, I'll check it out when Shar gets back home.
    My truck's main problem is that I need to control the volume through the phone otherwise it's volume all the way up and can't lower it. Only way to read them is to connect the phone entirely and let her rip. But then no privacy. not even by choice. Not horrible but just would like better. It also doesn't play my other apps.

I'm not even sure what I want is possible. I would like for it to automatically read out loud my messages as they come in, no matter the app, and allow me to voice to reply from any of them as well. And the option to go private should someone hop in the vehicle mid-ride for example.