Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Blue Screen of DEATH

Does anyone have experience with this beast ?

I think I've done everything cept fix it!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

You can try to fix the Blue Screen of Death on your Windows computer with a number of

troubleshooting methods; below are the most common steps you can take....

...The Blue Screen of Death on Windows indicates a critical fault and forces your computer to restart.

On a properly functioning computer, Blue Screen errors should be rare or nonexistent.

...A Blue Screen means that Windows can't proceed, so after displaying the error message, Windows

...will perform some behind-the-scenes housecleaning and restart.

**Unfortunately, there's no opportunity

....to save your work, so a Blue Screen often involves losing data!!

***some general guidance for dealing with Blue Screen of Death error in Windows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/how-to-fix-a-blue-screen-of-death-on-your-windows-computer-with-7-troubleshooting-tips/ar-BB1atFzY#:~:text=The%20Blue%20Screen%20of%20Death% 20on%20Windows%20indicates,Blue%20Screen%20errors% 20should%20be%20rare%20or%20nonexistent

3. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

What are you doing when this occurs?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

5. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default I've had it TWICE in only a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

Which is why I had to change my screen name here from ABOUTIME to ICANSAYIT.

The only real remedy is...and should be Have a BACKUP disc, or Flash drive with the entire Windows system RESTORE ready to go.
    Otherwise. Though you may lose much of your stored files. The RESTORE disc or flash drive can get you back into business in a few hours.

It's much easier than going to get it repaired (where they will only do the same thing with a Windows Restore disc or Flash drive.
    Hope that helps. BUT FOR ANYONE READING THIS.
    If you haven't taken the time to create a BACKUP. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING and DO IT NOW.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

7. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Its Time........watch to the end..

"What it feels like to buy a new PC"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The infamous "BSOD", and have endless experience with it, and each one is different.

When and why does it happen? Any rhyme or reason or connection between why it happens? For example, using the same program when it happens? Every time you bootup? Only doing something in one app?

1 - You could try to quickly pause that page or see if it stands there and write down the error for me on the blue screen. Should be a long weird number and more toward the bottom like this one:

All that would help me, or the entire thing if you can hit "print screen" and save it.

2 - Try scanning for malware and/or viruses. Have seen it set things off before

3 - if only during using one particular app/program, try reinstalling it.

For now, see if you can save a screen shot of what blue screen BSOD you're getting. Hit print screen when it's up. Then open plain microsoft paint. and hit 'edit' and then 'paste' the image into the app. Then save it when done.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    What are you doing when this occurs?
    It occurs regardless of what is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The infamous "BSOD", and have endless experience with it, and each one is different.

When and why does it happen? Any rhyme or reason or connection between why it happens? For example, using the same program when it happens? Every time you bootup? Only doing something in one app?

1 - You could try to quickly pause that page or see if it stands there and write down the error for me on the blue screen. Should be a long weird number and more toward the bottom like this one:

All that would help me, or the entire thing if you can hit "print screen" and save it.

2 - Try scanning for malware and/or viruses. Have seen it set things off before

3 - if only during using one particular app/program, try reinstalling it.

For now, see if you can save a screen shot of what blue screen BSOD you're getting. Hit print screen when it's up. Then open plain microsoft paint. and hit 'edit' and then 'paste' the image into the app. Then save it when done.
    It occurs regardless of what is being done. It does boot normally.

A list of most of what I've done so far:

sfc

chkdsk /r

updated all drivers

malwarebytes

Disabled antivirus

something like dism restorehealth (Microsoft thing) I can't remember the exact name.

Memory check

The Stop code is: REFERENCE BY POINTER

I've ran whocrashed an each time it returns ntoskrnl.exe which from what I've read doesn't really tell us exactly what is causing ntoskrnl to call for a shutdown & reboot. But as I understand ntoskrnl, she runs the house like the wife so don't piss her off or else.

I may be at the point that my last option is a reset/reinstall of windows.
    One thing I haven't done is disable the unnecessary startup items. I'll do that in the morning.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

You're on the right track. Disable all unnecessary items and do a reboot.

What antivirus are you running?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

It occurs regardless of what is being done.

It occurs regardless of what is being done. It does boot normally.

A list of most of what I've done so far:

sfc

chkdsk /r

updated all drivers

malwarebytes

Disabled antivirus

something like dism restorehealth (Microsoft thing) I can't remember the exact name.

Memory check

The Stop code is: REFERENCE BY POINTER

I've ran whocrashed an each time it returns ntoskrnl.exe which from what I've read doesn't really tell us exactly what is causing ntoskrnl to call for a shutdown & reboot. But as I understand ntoskrnl, she runs the house like the wife so don't piss her off or else.

I may be at the point that my last option is a reset/reinstall of windows.
    One thing I haven't done is disable the unnecessary startup items. I'll do that in the morning.
    You can try to disable startup items but that only delays the issue really. We need to get rid of it altogether.

Do you have a copy of another antivirus to install, or the original one you are using now? I'd be curious if it happens when completely uninstalled or if it's reinstalled.

Checking for malware was good.

Often it can point to RAM (random access memory) issues, so doing a check there was appropriate. It could be bad memory (doubtful) or likely something being stored in memory.

Can you do a search on your PC for the "ntoskrnl.exe" file, and let me know the exact size and date of that file? It also may be in multiple locations. The main one I am looking for should be in the c:\windows\system32\ folder.

Here's mine:

Already did the chkdsk & sfc, which was good choices!

Video drivers - "Hit "windows key" + R and that will open the search bar at the bottom left. Then type in "devmgmt.msc" and the device manager will then open. Once device manager is open, scroll down at the top to "Display Adapters". Give me the exact name there of your video card, I'd like to check for the latest. - ** Also, right-click on the name of your video card and choose properties. When that opens, choose the driver tab - then give me the date and version of your video card details.

We can do that for starters and take from there.

*** Worst case I believe ***

We can always do a system recovery. What that does is recover/reinstall all original system drivers - and it leaves all of your personal files and programs intact.

Alternatively, a system restore to an earlier point. Best if this just started recently.

I am "assuming" to this point that we are dealing with Windows 10. That the case?

Click on Start button - then click "Settings" - inside Settings, click on "Update and Security". One the left side, scroll down and click on "Recovery". Then you can click "Reset this PC" and follow all the prompts. *** DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS WE/YOU FAIL AT ALL OTHER ATTEMPTS *** - It's not that it will kill your PC or is extremely dangerous, just that I wouldn't run it myself but as a last resort.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock