Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default What Christians Say..

Due to a recent topic, I've put-together a list of things said by folk who claim to be Christians.

• Dammit!
    • Fuck that!
    • Shit
    • Piece of fucking shit
    • Piece of Shit
    • Hell (yes/no, etc)!
    • and you anally rape little boys. enjoy some sweet young virgin ass.[said directly to me, actually, from a professing christian]
    • suck it!

See - I don't have a 'holy' and 'non-holy' list of words. IMO, the 'bad' in words is purely driven by context.

If I'm mad at somebody and call him a piece of shit - it's the SAME as if I called him a piece of Poop. Using 'poop' doesn't make the sentiment any less hateful or unloving.

Likewise (and Jeff knows THIS analogy) on Madden, etc, when I make a good play and say "yeahh bitch! Take it!" there's no animosity or hatred or anger there - only manly-competition, etc.

Thoughts?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Foul language is simply foul language my friend, and it is condemned. You will never find an example of my having used such language on this or any other board.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still disagree that such language is becoming of a Christian, regardless of context. I still find myself using such words on occasion, but I do my best not to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody is perfect and I doubt any of us claim to be. Christians struggle with all sorts of things and using foul language is one of them. It doesn't make us any less Christian. We all sin, and always will.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The point, AFBombloader, is that you are to try to do better. It might behoove you to read Colossians 4:5-6 and Ephesians 4:29.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    The point, AFBombloader, is that you are to try to do better. It might behoove you to read Colossians 4:5-6 and Ephesians 4:29.
    I agree completely, and I hope I did not appear to approve of using colorful expressions. I do struggle with this and I do try not to use it. I am familiar with both verses you pointed me to and know of more that tell us how we should conduct ourselves. Thanks!

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do those scriptures have to do with the context of the original post?

Last edited by -Cp; 09-23-2007 at 11:24 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

So....is 'poop-head' not sinful, but 'shit head' is?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    I still disagree that such language is becoming of a Christian, regardless of context. I still find myself using such words on occasion, but I do my best not to.
    Context dictates. Always.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    What do those scriptures have to do with the context of the original post?
    A better series of verses is Romans 3:9-18, specifically vs. 14. These verses say the nno one is righteous and we all have made and will make mistakes. I will leave up to the Lord to judge me.

AF

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

it can have it's purpose....

I Corinthians 9
    19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law,[c] that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God,[d] but under law toward Christ[e]), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as[f] weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

absolutely, PMP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Context dictates. Always.
    So in which context would it be OK for me to, say, have sex with a little college hottie?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    So in which context would it be OK for me to, say, have sex with a little college hottie?
    If you were married to her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    If you were married to her.
    Exactly, because the Bible is clear that sex is reserved for marriage, and that extramarital sex, regardless of context, is a sin - just as the Bible says that cussing, regardless of context, is a sin.